Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do a phd but run away from academia

3 posters

Go down

do a phd but run away from academia Empty do a phd but run away from academia

Post by bw Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 pm

http://qz.com/174811/enroll-in-a-phd-program-but-leave-academia-as-soon-as-you-graduate/

Enrolling in a PhD program is, from an economic perspective, a terrible decision. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. Just don’t let it ruin your life.

Here’s how that could happen: After nearly 10 years in graduate school and substantial debt, you still end up a part-time or adjunct professor (and still in debt). According to the Chronicle of Higher Education, these jobs make up 76% of the academic labor force, pay less than $3,000 a class, and lack benefits and job security.

bw

Back to top Go down

do a phd but run away from academia Empty Re: do a phd but run away from academia

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 pm

written from a very humanities and social sciences perspective. in engineering non-academic jobs post ph.d is in fact the norm.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

do a phd but run away from academia Empty Re: do a phd but run away from academia

Post by bw Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:written from a very humanities and social sciences perspective. in engineering non-academic jobs post ph.d is in fact the norm.

what about theoretical physics or computer science(the theoretical areas)?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:written from a very humanities and social sciences perspective. in engineering non-academic jobs post ph.d is in fact the norm.

Please allow me...Although I am not qualified I know everything...

Anyone who enrolls in a PhD program THINKING he is going to make big bucks or even thinking about money, is too stupid and not qualified to be in a PhD program. Now that is decided,

Theoretical physics and Computer science PhDs can get scores of high paying jobs. Nasa begs to hire Physics PhDs and theoretical ones bcz the supply is so low. Comp sci PhDs can get into scores of companies..

There is only one condition. The guys have to be basically smart and like any other degree the PhD should also be of good quality under an established professor and a decent school. Not all BS or MS or PhDs are same...

Oh, BTW, the wall street looters hire people with any background - if they are good and come with a good pedigre.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:22 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:

Anyone who enrolls in a PhD program THINKING he is going to make big bucks or even thinking about money, is too stupid and not qualified to be in a PhD program. Now that is decided,

Theoretical physics and Computer science PhDs can get scores of high paying jobs. Nasa begs to hire Physics PhDs and theoretical ones bcz the supply is so low. Comp sci PhDs can get into scores of companies..

There is only one condition.  The guys have to be basically smart and like any other degree the PhD should also be of good quality under an established professor and a decent school. Not all BS or MS or PhDs are same...

Oh, BTW, the wall street looters hire people with any background - if they are good and come with a good pedigre.

eLLam terindha saamiyar avargaLe, my question was whether most of the folks who go for such fields prefer to be in an academic environment or as max says wrt engineering, the norm is to go for a non-academic job.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 am

bw wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:

There is only one condition.  The guys have to be basically smart and like any other degree the PhD should also be of good quality under an established professor and a decent school. Not all BS or MS or PhDs are same...

eLLam terindha saamiyar avargaLe, my question was whether most of the folks who go for such fields prefer to be in an academic environment or as max says wrt engineering, the norm is to go for a non-academic job.

Overall, comparing with the last decade, a vast majority of the americans/GC holders seem to be going to non-academic jobs, especially good ones. The number of applicants for academic jobs has gone down dramatically.

Of course, all my statements are related to the signature at the bottom of my post.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am

There is one unknown in the article...May be it is iven someplace.

The article indicates that adjuncts form 76% of academic jobs. Are they including ALL TYPES of educational institutions - community colleges, for-profit colleges, 4 yr colleges, non-PhD, PhD, instructors, TAs, etc..etc..?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down