Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why the US doesn't bury power lines

4 posters

Go down

Why the US doesn't bury power lines Empty Why the US doesn't bury power lines

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/winter-storm-power-lines/index.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Why the US doesn't bury power lines Empty Re: Why the US doesn't bury power lines

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

i haven't read the article, but if i were to hazard a guess probably because it's expensive. usual american myopia about fixing aging infrastructure. i'll keep fixing every time i have an ice storm, but won't do the right thing for the long haul. and every time i'll claim it's a rare event.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Why the US doesn't bury power lines Empty Re: Why the US doesn't bury power lines

Post by Rishi Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i haven't read the article, but if i were to hazard a guess probably because it's expensive. usual american myopia about fixing aging infrastructure. i'll keep fixing every time i have an ice storm, but won't do the right thing for the long haul. and every time i'll claim it's a rare event.

After a 2002 storm that knocked out electricity to 2 million customers in North Carolina, regulators there took a look at what it would cost to bury the three major power companies' overhead lines. The state Utilities Commission concluded the project would be "prohibitively expensive."
Gov. Deal: Not the end of the world

"Such an undertaking would cost approximately $41 billion, nearly six times the net book value of the utilities' current distribution assets, and would require approximately 25 years to complete," the report states. Customers' rates would have to more than double to pay for the project, the commission' staff found.

>>>$41 billion just for one state. Plus minimum 25 years to complete for the entire nation even if all states start at the same time working on this venture.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:44 pm

how much for the clean up, repair, lost productivity and hit to the economy times 25?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how much for the clean up, repair, lost productivity and hit to the economy times 25?

I am not sure. Maybe you ( not *you* specifically) can look up the numbers somewhere?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Couple of years ago ct had two separate weather events that caused week long widespread disruptions. governor asked for a review and got a response. it will cost 10billion in this small state to bury electric lines.
so they decided to cut trees close to electric lines.
now every individual localhity is dealing with tree protector crowds. cost of democratic society.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down