Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

legend in 80s india

5 posters

Go down

legend in 80s india Empty legend in 80s india

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:23 pm

i have no idea why. just look at the comments below these songs. hahaha. i used to listen to this guy and so did so many other indians.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

legend in 80s india Empty Re: legend in 80s india

Post by Silly Point Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Love the heart shaped setting sun in the second video..

did you seriously listen to this guy??

*foundation shook*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 am

yes along with cliff richard, engelbert humperdinck, and other such inanities.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes along with cliff richard, engelbert humperdinck, and other such inanities.
>>> A useless tidbit I remembered: both these guys were born in India. Humpherdinck was born in Chennai and I suspect he has Indian blood.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 am

I listened to Cliff Richards a lot actually. I friend of mine loaned me a 4-cassette set of his songs, i think in early 90s. That voice and music brings back major nostalgia and all.

Another guy with that nostalgia factor of the mid 80s for me - Lionel Richie. Same reason, was gifted a cassette of his songs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:I listened to Cliff Richards a lot actually. I friend of mine loaned me a 4-cassette set of his songs, i think in early 90s. That voice and music brings back major nostalgia and all.

Another guy with that nostalgia factor of the mid 80s for me - Lionel Richie. Same reason, was gifted a cassette of his songs.

>>Lemme guess/ You liked Evergreen Tree, didn't you? Smile Oh, he is just Richard.. no s at the end. I think it is a made up name.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:I listened to Cliff Richards a lot actually. I friend of mine loaned me a 4-cassette set of his songs, i think in early 90s. That voice and music brings back major nostalgia and all.

>>Lemme guess/ You liked Evergreen Tree, didn't you? Smile Oh, he is just Richard.. no s at the end. I think it is a made up name.

oh ya, just richard... Smile

I liked and 'when the girl in ur arms', 'devil woman', 'lucky lips', 'summer holiday', 'nine times of ten', 'young ones', 'move it'... from what i r'ber. Guess all his older songs? Am sure others will also come back when or if i hear them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

oh ya, just richard... Smile

I liked and 'when the girl in ur arms', 'devil woman', 'lucky lips', 'summer holiday', 'nine times of ten', 'young ones', 'move it'... from what i r'ber. Guess all his older songs? Am sure others will also come back when or if i hear them.

>>>Summer Holiday may have been one of his earlier ones. Anyway, I think these are all from the sixties. A lot of the 50's, 60's songs of this type were a big hit among Anglo Indians that lived not far from us, probably because of nostalgia and references to English living. It rippled over to us to some extent.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Englebert.. for some reason his whole name still makes me giggle...

I must have missed this whole group of people ( genre as it were) given the fact that I grew up in Hong Kong and was surrounded by 80's music and when i arrived in India it was the reign of Deep Purple, Zepplin etc..

*giggle* @ Englebert Humperdink

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Silly Point wrote:Englebert.. for some reason his whole name still makes me giggle...

I must have missed this whole group of people ( genre as it were) given the fact that I grew up in Hong Kong and was surrounded by 80's music and when i arrived in India it was the reign of Deep Purple, Zepplin etc..

*giggle* @ Englebert Humperdink
>>> His real name is Dorsey. He changed it to EH after the composer, to make it catchy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:29 pm

I had no idea you knew so much about him Kris..

well catchy it is.. so he got the right kinda of advice then..

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes along with cliff richard, engelbert humperdinck, and other such inanities.

My sister says it's all 'Madras B' on satrudays and sundays.

she adds, Jim Reeves, Tom Jones and a couple of bands that are instrumental, heavily on guitar but i didn't get their names right.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:57 pm

that's it madras B! yes i was trying hard to come up with jim reeves. i got jim but couldn't remember the last name.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:07 pm

i bet if you tried you couldn't find anything sappier than this in all of indian cinema music:

from his wiki page:

India and Sri Lanka[edit]
Reeves had many fans in both India and Sri Lanka since the 1960s, and is probably the all-time most popular English language singer in Sri Lanka.Template:Http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jim+reeves/biography.html His Christmas carols are especially popular, and music stores continue to carry his CDs or audio cassettes.[citation needed] Two of his songs, "There's a Heartache Following Me" and "Welcome to My World," were favorites of the Indian spiritual teacher Meher Baba.[citation needed] A follower of Meher Baba, Pete Townshend of the Who, recorded his own version of "Heartache" on his first major solo album Who Came First during 1972.[7]
Robert Svoboda, in his trilogy on aghora[disambiguation needed] and the Aghori Vimalananda, mentions that Vimalananda considered Reeves a gandharva, i.e. in Indian tradition, a heavenly musician, who had been born on Earth. He had Svoboda play Reeves' "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" at his cremation.[8][9]

odd the kinds of things indians latch on to.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:18 pm

http://www.ibtimes.com/not-elvis-sinatra-nor-beatles-jim-reeves-biggest-western-singer-south-india-sri-lanka-1402434
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:16 pm

i used to listen to a lot of neil diamond.

and oh yeah, rick astley

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm

*sigh* @ Rick Astley.. I danced with my first bf for the first time to this saang...

*remenescing*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down