Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music

Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music Empty H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I would love to hear the views of Max and Impy on this performance.

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Muslim veiled woman performs Bharatanatyam to Sufi music

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:31 pm

I loved the overall concept although even to my untrained eye there were some obvious technical errors. She seems a little unbalanced and uncoordinated whenever she has to lift one of her legs for a pose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:

>>> This reminds me of couple of things which happened 8 years ago.

1) There is a Palghat Brahmin family in Maryland which teaches CM vocal, violin, Mridangam and BN. There is a Tamil Christian family which sent their 7 year old daughter to the BN classes taught by this family.

One day the BN teacher got a call from the mother of the girl. She sounded distraught. "My daughter when she practices the steps you taught starts singing Krishna, Krishna. We do not like it. Can you please do something about it?" she demanded.

"Why is it a problem?," the teacher asked.

"We are Christians. We pray only to Jesus."

Th teacher said " I can't do anything about it because most of the songs we dance are based on Krishna's stories."

The Tamil Christian mother pulled her kid out of the class.

2) There is a Tamil Iyer lady in Northern Virginia. She also teaches BN. One of her top students was a Kerala Christian girl. The family spent like $10,000 on Arengetram. Usually, you always see a statue of Lord Nataraja on the stage whenever there is an Arengetram. On that day, there was no statue, The Christian family demanded the statue be removed for their daughter's Arengetram.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Rishi, this lady is a Christian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leela_Samson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down