Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possessive woman

+9
Propagandhi711
pravalika nanda
bw
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Seva Lamberdar
smArtha
Rishi
13 posters

Go down

Possessive woman Empty Possessive woman

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Once I was invited by a Tamil Brahmin couple for lunch. The guy's mother was also there. The man went to some of the best schools and universities in Europe. He grew up there. His dad used to work for an international organization.

I was sitting next to him on the couch. His mother in a strict voice ordered me to sit in the chair away from her son. I obliged. She sat next to her son. Not even his wife could sit next to him.

No wonder his first wife had problems with this family. I heard that the MIL would ask this girl to fall at the feet of her friends. The girl refused. The son being obedient to his mother did not have the guts to say anything.

MIL decided to get rid of her son's first wife. She came up with a plan. She told the son exactly what he should do if the opportunity arises. And it happened. The girl wanted to go to India to attend her brother's marriage. He told her to go ahead and promised he will be there in a few weeks.

A couple of weeks after she landed in Madras, the girl came to know that her marriage has been annulled. It was a touchdown for her MIL.

The mother found a Tamil iyer woman who really matched her specifications. Subservient, stay in the kitchen, wear 18 yards sari and eager to wash her MIL's feet.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Possessive woman Empty Re: Possessive woman

Post by smArtha Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:32 pm

So is the issue that Woman still are ruling the household :-)

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Rishi wrote:Once I was invited by a Tamil Brahmin couple for lunch. The guy's mother was also there. The man went to some of the best schools and universities in Europe. He grew up there. His dad used to work for an international organization.

I was sitting next to him on the couch. His mother in a strict voice ordered me to sit in the chair away from her son. I obliged. She sat next to her son. Not even his wife could sit next to him.

No wonder his first wife had problems with this family.  I heard that the MIL would ask this girl to fall at the feet of her friends. The girl refused. The son being obedient to his mother did not have the guts to say anything.

MIL decided to get rid of her son's first wife.  She came up with a plan. She told the son exactly what he should do if the opportunity arises. And it happened. The girl wanted to go to India to attend her brother's marriage. He told her to go ahead and promised he will be there in a few weeks.

A couple of weeks after she landed in Madras, the girl came to know that her marriage has been annulled. It was a touchdown for her MIL.

The mother found a Tamil iyer woman who really matched her specifications. Subservient, stay in the kitchen,  wear 18 yards sari and eager to wash her MIL's feet.

how long has the second marriage been around? How old is the MIL now? Waiting for future episodes of this story. Methinks the DIL2 will get to rule soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:how long has the second marriage been around? How old is the MIL now? Waiting for future episodes of this story. Methinks the DIL2 will get to rule soon.

I guess this is from the wisdom that you can boss around better only if you had been through the experience of being bossed around

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:52 pm

smArtha wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:how long has the second marriage been around? How old is the MIL now? Waiting for future episodes of this story. Methinks the DIL2 will get to rule soon.

I guess this is from the wisdom that you can boss around better only if you had been through the experience of being bossed around

is all politics...based on other true stories of this nature that i have seen growing up. 

keep quiet when you are weaker, make your position stronger with time (i.e. work on the husband slowly), and strike when the opponent gets weak/old/helpless. The son has proven himself to be a nincompoop in this story so far, so he will support the stronger woman.

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:is all politics...based on other true stories of this nature that i have seen growing up. 

keep quiet when you are weaker, make your position stronger with time (i.e. work on the husband slowly), and strike when the opponent gets weak/old/helpless. The son has proven himself to be a nincompoop in this story so far, so he will support the stronger woman.

From the story, she doesn't have to work on her husband, who'll anyway take the side of the one in command. She is better off working on her sons (if she does have any) to have them fall in line when the opportunity arises. That is the way to ensure longevity  in power.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:02 pm

Rishi wrote:
Not even his wife could sit next to him.

Perhaps the mother had a reason to be suspicious about the son and his wife 'sitting' next to each other.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:15 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Not even his wife could sit next to him.

Perhaps the mother had a reason to be suspicious about the son and his wife 'sitting' next to each other.

"You sit there", she told me in a stern voice pointing at the chair.

It was her son and his wife who invited me to their house.

The mother did not have the decency to respect her son's guest.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 pm

>>>>Btw, you would not believe what I am going to say about one man who is a doctor. He is attached to his mom.

He, his wife and mother all went to Europe for a vacation. Yep. He brought his mom along.

The man and his wife booked a room in a hotel. His mom was in the next room all by herself.

In the middle of the night, the tolld his wife "I want to go and sleep next to my mom." His wife asked him "Did you marry me or your mother?"

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Rishi wrote:>>>>Btw, you would not believe what I am going to say about one man who is a doctor. He is attached to his mom.

He, his wife and mother all went to Europe for a vacation. Yep. He brought his mom along.

The man and his wife booked a room in a hotel. His mom was in the next room all by herself.

In the middle of the night, the tolld his wife "I want to go and sleep next to my mom." His wife asked him "Did you marry me or your mother?"

LOL.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

ewww...
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Rishi wrote:Once I was invited by a Tamil Brahmin couple for lunch. The guy's mother was also there. The man went to some of the best schools and universities in Europe. He grew up there. His dad used to work for an international organization.

Did she know something about you that we did not know?....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Rishi, 

Your creativity is getting better, but you need to work on logistics.

A couple of weeks after she landed in Madras, the girl came to know that her marriage has been annulled.

How? Was that on TV? Did the girl get a telegram, email or found out through a Maulvi?

Don't they both have to agree to annul marriage or otherwise challenge in court?

Please resubmit story with updates.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

southindian wrote:Rishi, 

A couple of weeks after she landed in Madras, the girl came to know that her marriage has been annulled.

How? Was that on TV? Did the girl get a telegram, email or found out through a Maulvi?

Don't they both have to agree to annul marriage or otherwise challenge in court?

>>>This stuff happened more than twenty years ago. Who knows. The man must have called her and gave her the bad news.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>>This stuff happened more than twenty years ago. Who knows. The man must have called her and gave her the bad news.
Making a phone call to tell wife, "You are not my wife anymore, effective (DD/MM/YYYY)".

Is that how divorces happened in late 1980s?

Rishi, improve your story telling. Have you started taking community classes for "Creative Writing"? Please start ASAP.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:47 pm

pliss not to be slamming Rishi. I happen to love his stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Rishi wrote:

Your stories are obsolete. Either you should tell us "happening stories" (I will refrain from "digging up" Pattappans) or dont mention the time period (like the TV shows).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Your stories are obsolete. Either you should tell us "happening stories" (I will refrain from "digging up" Pattappans) or dont mention the time period (like the TV shows).
Either way Rishi has to work hard on creativity and logistics.

He's consistently getting a "D" for both.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:28 pm

No wonder his first wife had problems with this family.  I heard that the MIL would ask this girl to fall at the feet of her friends. The girl refused. The son being obedient to his mother did not have the guts to say anything.

MIL decided to get rid of her son's first wife.  She came up with a plan. She told the son exactly what he should do if the opportunity arises. And it happened. The girl wanted to go to India to attend her brother's marriage. He told her to go ahead and promised he will be there in a few weeks.

The mother found a Tamil iyer woman who really matched her specifications. Subservient, stay in the kitchen,  wear 18 yards sari and eager to wash her MIL's feet.

18 yards sari? really? she wore that in the US too?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm

bw wrote:

actually, the people who came in the old days are still like that.

for instance, my mom only wears sarees. i went to school with two braids and a bottu until sophomore year of high school. my parents don't like me to wear American clothes when I'm at home except at night when I can wear PJs or a nightdress; I'm not allowed to wear sleeveless stuff or shorts (I only wear shorts when I play tennis, I personally think shorts are disgusting) or mini skirts or bikinis in front of my parents though my mom is okay with it otherwise. Naturally when I went to college I tried to wear nothing more than what I thought was necessary.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Oh, I forgot to tell you about the tamil people, I'm not sure they were all tamil but they were from the madras coim madurai areas and they all wear only saress and about 7 yrs ago one of the tambrahm girls I know got married to her uncle. she was about 2 years older than me.

and for fun they do things like bommalu koluvu and visit each other's houses for that stuff.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

oh wow

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

bw, maybe you're in the west coast and somehow west coast people don't seem to stick to their traditions. you do the fancy stuff like Carnatic music etc but everything you guys, the upper-classes/elites do seems to have been cleaned up and polished to make it more palatable to American eyes and ears but here in the east coast, we all live exactly the way they did in india when they left it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:oh wow
to what? marrying her maama? or to something else? telugus don't do that, although we do marry our first cousins if they're sufficiently cute and rich.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

I feel that a lot of indian people who came from india in the last 10 years got Americanized really fast, in a superficial way - in terms of clothes accents and food habits an dating choices but they retained their like dunce-like village-thinking and sense of inferiority.

my family and the people I grew up with in the east coast are extremely proud of who they are, and we don't hide it. and this means going to the crown of the statue of liberty in a saree. I once went to this super upscale bar and restaurant in Chicago with my friends in a saree and I was the only one in it. in my drinking days. I was the only indian person in the room.

okay got to do some work.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:I feel that a lot of indian people who came from india in the last 10 years got Americanized really fast, in a superficial way - in terms of clothes accents and food habits an dating choices but they retained their like dunce-like village-thinking and sense of inferiority.

my family and the people I grew up with in the east coast are extremely proud of who they are, and we don't hide it. and this means going to the crown of the statue of liberty in a saree. I once went to this super upscale bar and restaurant in Chicago with my friends in a saree and I was the only one in it. in my drinking days. I was the only indian person in the room.

okay got to do some work.

oh wow, so cooooollll

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:

for instance, my mom only wears sarees. i went to school with two braids and a bottu until sophomore year of high school. my parents don't like me to wear American clothes when I'm at home except at night when I can wear PJs or a nightdress; I'm not allowed to wear sleeveless stuff or shorts (I only wear shorts when I play tennis, I personally think shorts are disgusting) or mini skirts or bikinis in front of my parents though my mom is okay with it otherwise. Naturally when I went to college I tried to wear nothing more than what I thought was necessary.

sarees, yes. my mother and most women of her generation wear only that, no matter where they live or travel to. they aren't the super cool maamis who easily slip into jeans when outside india. those sarees are 6 yards long. 9 yards is what is called madisaar - my grandmothers used to wear those. what is a 18 yard saree?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

I've seen the damage done to a family by an extremely possessive woman. Recently I met an old friend (also a neighbor) and enquired about other friends who we used to play cricket with. They were three brothers, all of them well educated. First son had a broken marriage (weighs 140kgs) recently had a paralytic attack, second son weighs 150kgs cannot move , no work, unmarried, luckily third son moved away from his mom and is doing better. They were all fit and athletic as kids. Their mom had psychological issues, extra possessive , even decided who their sons can be friends with etc.. And it is a Tamil Brahmin family.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:

sarees, yes. my mother and most women of her generation wear only that, no matter where they travel. they aren't the super cool maamis who easily slip into jeans when outside india. those sarees are 6 yards long. 9 yards is what is called madisaar - my grandmothers used to wear those. what is a 18 yard saree?

>>>Bw

I miswrote. It is 18 முழம்.

It seems 1 yard = 2 முழம்.

So it is 9 yards which is equal to 18 முழம். It was not 18 yards

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:bw, maybe you're in the west coast and somehow west coast people don't seem to stick to their traditions. you do the fancy stuff like Carnatic music etc but everything you guys, the upper-classes/elites do seems to have been cleaned up and polished to make it more palatable to American eyes and ears but here in the east coast, we all live exactly the way they did in india when they left it.

really, i have been to the east coast many times and never saw these madisaar clad maamis. i will be visiting again shortly and shall look for them. where do they usually hang out? any pointers?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:oh wow
to what? marrying her maama? or to something else? telugus don't do that, although we do marry our first cousins if they're sufficiently cute and rich.

just general wow about growing up of ABD kids here in 80s and 90s, if yours was not an isolated case.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Rishi wrote:>>>>Btw, you would not believe what I am going to say about one man who is a doctor. He is attached to his mom.

rishi, I'm sure you're making up this shit, no one talks like that. also don't scare me about indian men.
I have already had far too many scary conversations with indina men.
that could be a short story.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

rishi, I'm sure you're making up this shit, no one talks like that. also don't scare me about indian men.

rishi making up shit? what's next, sun gonna rise in the east tomorrow?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

PN

In India there are families where young boys still sleep next to their moms. There is a bond there. This man did not grew out of his childhood. That is all. Nothing sexual here.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 pm

And who told you this story?
The man or wife or mom ? 
Unless the man is ......

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:54 pm

some insecure moms do that. a friend of mine told me her mom-in-law made her sleep on the floor and she slept with her son on the bed bcz only one bedroom had AC and MIL cannot sleep without AC. 
MIL's reasoning was, i have back ache and can't sleep on the floor. Why couldn't the son sleep on the floor?!?!
this was when she first got married. idk why they couldn't offer MIL the room with AC and sleep in the other room with regular cooler. 
I believe rishi's story.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 pm

oh ya... someone in XH's distant family. Much older to me. We had gone to a wedding in another city, and she was there with her husband and kids. Anyway, we got talking. She said she is very happy coz this is the first time ever that she has traveled with just her husband and kids. I was like, what? She said yeah her MIL went with them to honeymoon too.

I believe rishi's story too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:08 pm

moral of the story: women will believe the worst of their MILs the world over. but to the last one will claim to being the exception to the rule once they age

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:moral of the story: women will believe the worst of their MILs the world over. but to the last one will claim to being the exception to the rule once they age

hehe

Actually my ex-mil is really sorta an exception. I sometimes feel she got unlucky in the way she got meshed between a super aggressive mil, aggressive husband, headstrong son, and even more headstrong ex-dil (me). Thank god her other dil is better so far, although mil now tells xh how she should have cared more for my love and affection when i was generously giving it.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:oh ya... someone in XH's distant family. Much older to me. We had gone to a wedding in another city, and she was there with her husband and kids. Anyway, we got talking. She said she is very happy coz this is the first time ever that she has traveled with just her husband and kids. I was like, what? She said yeah her MIL went with them to honeymoon too.

LOL @ honeymoon too.

howcome she didn't divorce him right then...i mean how did they even have kids?:p

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:35 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:Oh, I forgot to tell you about the tamil people, I'm not sure they were all tamil but they were from the madras coim madurai areas and they all wear only saress and about 7 yrs ago one of the tambrahm girls I know got married to her uncle. she was about 2 years older than me.

and for fun they do things like bommalu koluvu and visit each other's houses for that stuff.

i dont know what you are talking... It has been a long long very loing time since i have seen a maami in a Sari outside of the temple.

You coasters are do very very backward - just saying.

P.S. if you dont wear more than what is necessary what (all) do you wear?...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38 pm

seven wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:oh ya... someone in XH's distant family. Much older to me. We had gone to a wedding in another city, and she was there with her husband and kids. Anyway, we got talking. She said she is very happy coz this is the first time ever that she has traveled with just her husband and kids. I was like, what? She said yeah her MIL went with them to honeymoon too.

LOL @ honeymoon too.

howcome she didn't divorce him right then...i mean how did they even have kids?:p

i think her reasoning was something like, 'you guys are too young and stupid and will either get lost or mugged or raped or killed or something on your own'.

Back to top Go down

Possessive woman Empty Hindi content [joke]

Post by seven Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:40 pm

Lady 1: tumhare beta aur beti ki shadi hui hai..tumhari bahu aur damaad kaise hain?

Lady 2: meri bahu to bahut buri hai....roz late uthti hai aur mera beta uske liye chai bnata hai
Ghar ka koi kaam nhi karti
Aur jab dekho mere bete se bahar khana khane ke liye kehti rehti hai

Lady 1: aur tumhara damaad?

Lady 2 : mera damaad to farishta hai..roz subbha meri beti ko chai bna ke pilata hai aur wo aaram se uthti hai...ussee ghar ka koi kaam karne nhi deta aur ussee aksar bahar khana khane le jata hai...aisa damaad sabko mile.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 pm

seven wrote:Lady 1: tumhare beta aur beti ki shadi hui hai..tumhari bahu aur damaad kaise hain?

Lady 2: meri bahu to bahut buri hai....roz late uthti hai aur mera beta uske liye chai bnata hai
Ghar ka koi kaam nhi karti
Aur jab dekho mere bete se bahar khana khane ke liye kehti rehti hai

Lady 1: aur tumhara damaad?

Lady 2 : mera damaad to farishta hai..roz subbha meri beti ko chai bna ke pilata hai aur wo aaram se uthti hai...ussee ghar ka koi kaam karne nhi deta aur ussee aksar bahar khana khane le jata hai...aisa damaad sabko mile.

haha true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:moral of the story: women will believe the worst of their MILs the world over. but to the last one will claim to being the exception to the rule once they age

hehe

Actually my ex-mil is really sorta an exception. I sometimes feel she got unlucky in the way she got meshed between a super aggressive mil, aggressive husband, headstrong son, and even more headstrong ex-dil (me). Thank god her other dil is better so far, although mil now tells xh how she should have cared more for my love and affection when i was generously giving it.

Rishi's story is believable - as it happened 20 years go. 20 years later, now the Girls mommies dont want to leave their daughters and I see moms (and sometimes the fathers) accompanying their daughters.

No difference except the roles are reversed...seriously.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

>>>PN, some of it is probably lost in translation, but I implore you not to read into these stories literally. Think of them as allegories instead. There is also an undeniable charm to them, you must admit,  the charm of a culture given to merriment at fellow citizens' quirks-nay, foibles and the charm of a culture adept at story-telling (albeit at times pointless, but stories nevertheless). Enjoy!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 am

Rishi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

PN

In India there are families where young boys still sleep next to their moms. There is a bond there. This man did not grew out of his childhood.  That is all. Nothing sexual here.

I did not for a minute think it was sexual. I just don't think it could be a true story.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
Rishi wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

PN

In India there are families where young boys still sleep next to their moms. There is a bond there. This man did not grew out of his childhood.  That is all. Nothing sexual here.

I did not for a minute think it was sexual. I just don't think it could be a true story.

>>>PN,

I just reported what his wife told me.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down