Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No country for single women

+2
Rishi
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

No country for single women Empty No country for single women

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:56 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26341350

For many young people, India is a land of opportunity. Male or female, if you're well educated and resourceful there's the chance of a well-paid career. Just one problem, says Suruchi Sharma - if you're a woman, you must marry by your mid-20s.

Back to top Go down

No country for single women Empty Re: No country for single women

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:08 pm

bit of an exaggeration. women in my extended circle of family have gotten married at all ages between early twenties to early thirties. many who have  pursued grad school/medical education have tended to get married towards the later end of that age range.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bit of an exaggeration. women in my extended circle of family have gotten married at all ages between early twenties to early thirties. many who have  pursued grad school/medical education have tended to get married towards the later end of that age range.

>> you claim therefore must be true for entire India?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bit of an exaggeration. women in my extended circle of family have gotten married at all ages between early twenties to early thirties. many who have  pursued grad school/medical education have tended to get married towards the later end of that age range.

>>  you claim therefore must be true for entire India?

no more than the article extrapolated from the story of suruchi sharma. my response was equal in quality to the original article.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26341350

For many young people, India is a land of opportunity. Male or female, if you're well educated and resourceful there's the chance of a well-paid career. Just one problem, says Suruchi Sharma - if you're a woman, you must marry by your mid-20s.

>>>I thought late 20s is pretty much the norm now, at least among professional middle class women. I can see the pressure on her parents though, given their peers' generational experience. I also thought a professionally qualified woman would be in demand given the rapidly rising cost of living in India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Trace is right except that for women, I think it is and, has been for several decades now, dependent on the economic status of the family, in addition to the educational tag.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 pm

garam_kuta wrote:Trace is right except that for women, I think it is and, has been for several decades now,  dependent on the economic status of the family, in addition to the educational tag.  

I haven't read the article but you're absolutely right. My mom back in the day was 22 when she got married but my cousins in India who are poor (the family has really suffered an economic downturn with husbands dying young from cancer and being unemployed) are getting married at ages 19-23!!

For those of us who have grown up here the youngest marriage was at age 28 for the girl.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:01 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:Trace is right except that for women, I think it is and, has been for several decades now,  dependent on the economic status of the family, in addition to the educational tag.  

I haven't read the article but you're absolutely right. My mom back in the day was 22 when she got married but my cousins in India who are poor (the family has really suffered an economic downturn with husbands dying young from cancer and being unemployed) are getting married at ages 19-23!!

For those of us who have grown up here the youngest marriage was at age 28 for the girl.

back in my grandma days, they marred at 5 yrs...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down