Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women commuters taking the train

+2
Rishi
indophile
6 posters

Go down

Women commuters taking the train Empty Women commuters taking the train

Post by indophile Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:24 pm

If you commute to work by train you may have experienced this. A woman with a heavy coat + big cap and a large bag on the shoulder hanging on her side (about the size of a diaper bag and with assorted things sticking out) and dragging a small suitcase like thingie on wheels behind her chatting with a friend beside her with similar attire and equipment. If you are in a rush to catch your train, first your front view is completely blocked, and second, you can’t do a sideways quick turn like a football tailback running with the ball because the darned behemoth of a bag will get you, and in the process you must realize that they have a built about 10-12 feet of security zone around them (their own girths + that big fat bags + the boxes being dragged behind them).  What is the solution around this problem without compromising the fact that it’s a free country.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Women commuters taking the train Empty Re: Women commuters taking the train

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 pm

indophile wrote:If you commute to work by train you may have experienced this. A woman with a heavy coat + big cap and a large bag on the shoulder hanging on her side (about the size of a diaper bag and with assorted things sticking out) and dragging a small suitcase like thingie on wheels behind her chatting with a friend beside her with similar attire and equipment. If you are in a rush to catch your train, first your front view is completely blocked, and second, you can’t do a sideways quick turn like a football tailback running with the ball because the darned behemoth of a bag will get you, and in the process you must realize that they have a built about 10-12 feet of security zone around them (their own girths + that big fat bags + the boxes being dragged behind them).  What is the solution around this problem without compromising the fact that it’s a free country.

You can always run to another car (compartment as they say in India).

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 pm

No, I was talking about the situation on the platform.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 pm

and then they say only people of NY/NJ are rude when they get impatient by such obstacles.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 pm

indophile wrote:If you commute to work by train you may have experienced this. A woman with a heavy coat + big cap and a large bag on the shoulder hanging on her side (about the size of a diaper bag and with assorted things sticking out) and dragging a small suitcase like thingie on wheels behind her chatting with a friend beside her with similar attire and equipment. If you are in a rush to catch your train, first your front view is completely blocked, and second, you can’t do a sideways quick turn like a football tailback running with the ball because the darned behemoth of a bag will get you, and in the process you must realize that they have a built about 10-12 feet of security zone around them (their own girths + that big fat bags + the boxes being dragged behind them).  What is the solution around this problem without compromising the fact that it’s a free country.

oh when that happens, I loudly and curtly say "oh excuse me!" and I quickly cut through the two fatties and make a dash for the car. I'm mean.  but cuz you're a guy you have to say, "sorry, maam, sorry" and flash a smile and move on. You have to get to work and pay taxes for their bypasses so don't feel bad.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Just say to them in Telugu "Amaaigaaru..NaEnu akkada poThaavu..." they will be shocked and let you go.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 am

They will be shocked even if they know Telugu!
Back in my student days I used to work as a desk clerk and return late at night through a not a pretty part of Washington. It felt very uncomfortable walking on those streets at that our. A desi friend told me a trick on how to get around that fear. He asked me to talk to myself in Telugu (actually with an audible mumble) on any subject - from Mahabharata to Indira Gandhi (choice for the day is mine) and walk. Then others would think I am crazy and just wouldn't bother me. I tried and it worked. No one ever did come near me.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am

indophile wrote:They will be shocked even if they know Telugu!
Back in my student days I used to work as a desk clerk and return late at night through a not a pretty part of Washington. It felt very uncomfortable walking on those streets at that our. A desi friend told me a trick on how to get around that fear. He asked me to talk to myself in Telugu (actually with an audible mumble) on any subject - from Mahabharata to Indira Gandhi (choice for the day is mine) and walk. Then others would think I am crazy and just wouldn't bother me. I tried and it worked. No one ever did come near me.

If only Upps Aunty had known this tactic a few decades ago, she would still have retained her virtue and not ended up a conquered woman. Oh the endless possibilities of what might have been...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

indophile wrote:They will be shocked even if they know Telugu!

>>>When I worked as a summer intern at a bank, there was a Swiss guy I worked with. He told me of having done exactly this when some guys approached him to mug him in NY, except he said he started ranting in German. I have done this train commute thing only for a couple of years and I hated the idea of finding parking at that the station. It is probably more convenient in the east coast.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down