Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilot prejuidice

5 posters

Go down

Pilot prejuidice Empty Pilot prejuidice

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I know a man who is an IITian and has a Ph,D in Engineering who will not get into a plane unless the pilot is an American or a Britisher. He thinks they do a better job since they grow up in a culture of either building and flying planes as a hobby. Do you think there is some validity to his logic?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Pilot prejuidice Empty Re: Pilot prejuidice

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:33 pm

i'll have no problems getting into a plane flown by this guy:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304020104579431214234709946?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304020104579431214234709946.html

http://www.sharelor.net/1/post/2014/03/tribute-who-exactly-is-malaysia-airlines-captain-zaharie-shah-of-mh370.html

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Rishi wrote:I know a man who is an IITian and has a Ph,D in Engineering who will not get into a plane unless the pilot is an American or a Britisher. He thinks they do a better job since they grow up in a culture of either building and flying planes as a hobby. Do you think there is some validity to his logic?

Extending this, do you think passengers need to know about the make, age and condition of the fleet as well as the experience and skill level of the pilot when he makes a ticket purchase? Also, should Airlines be guaranteeing such options exercised at the time of ticket purchase?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Years back when I took my first flight in Bombay, the technicians of Jet Airways were fixing something on the engine/wing when all the passengers were seated in the aircraft. Did not get a good feeling about it then. I was hoping that any maintenance would be done in a bay or not in front of guests. There were around more than 6 technicians working and I could see one guy banging a hammer on some instrument /equipment.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm

most short hop domestic flights in the US are flown by folks who have no more than a high school education and are worked to the bone with very little sleep. they sleep at airports, in their car, basically wherever they can, except at a hotel to save money. they get paid very little and are not particularly skilled. compared to these folks the pilot of the malaysian airlines flight is super skilled, well-trained and educated. he was a major electronics and instrumentation geek. he trained junior pilots. your IIT ph.d. friend is an idiot and a clueless idiot at that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 pm

Rishi wrote:I know a man who is an IITian and has a Ph,D in Engineering who will not get into a plane unless the pilot is an American or a Britisher. He thinks they do a better job since they grow up in a culture of either building and flying planes as a hobby. Do you think there is some validity to his logic?

how can he ensure that?  as he is boarding the plane, he pops into the cockpit to check this and walks out if the pilot doesn't meet the criterion? he has no logic, in my view.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down