Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wal-Mart may open India stores

+3
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
sambarvada
charvaka
7 posters

Go down

Wal-Mart may open India stores Empty Wal-Mart may open India stores

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Foreign players have been lobbying the government intensely for years, and they finally seem to be giving in:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-24/wal-mart-may-open-india-retail-stores-as-panel-said-to-advise-easing-laws.html

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) and Carrefour SA (CA) may gain access to the retail market of the world’s second most-populous country after an Indian government panel was said to have recommended easing restrictions on the industry.

Overseas companies could be allowed to own as much as 51 percent of stores that sell more than one brand if they invest a minimum of $100 million, a panel of bureaucrats in New Delhi recommended on July 22, according to a finance ministry official. The cabinet will make a decision after consultations are held, said the person, who had direct knowledge of the matter and declined to be identified before an announcement.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wal-Mart may open India stores Empty Re: Wal-Mart may open India stores

Post by sambarvada Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 pm

===> This is really bad news for India especially for the poor who make a meagre living by selling fruits and vegetables.

It is going to put a lot of small shopkeepers out of business and they will be on the streets.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:24 pm

simply a very..very...very very bad idea.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm

sambarvada wrote:===> This is really bad news for India especially for the poor who make a meagre living by selling fruits and vegetables.

It is going to put a lot of small shopkeepers out of business and they will be on the streets.

On the bright side, they all will be working for Wal-mart chilling inside with A/C up, rather than sweating under hot sun, you will know what I mean if you pay a visit to any (mega) departmental store.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 pm

You are right....but only about 10% of them who can read/write, decent looking and good manners.

The rest will be begging from the Wal-Mart customers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

I am ambivalent about this one. I can see both positives and negatives related to this. I think at least in the initial years foreign retailers will focus on tier A cities where they will be fighting more organized retailers like Biyani's Future Group. And I hope the Indian consumer will continue to value the personal interaction and full service model of the neighborhood fruit vendor over the self-service convenience at a Walmart store.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:You are right....but only about 10% of them who can read/write, decent looking and good manners.

The rest will be begging from the Wal-Mart customers.

I think the real threat will be to those mom and pop Kirana stores usually are (middle class)family owned/run businesses, and from what I heard many farmers suffered when Reliance acquired (forcefully)many farm lands in East Godavari for below market prices.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:13 am

Walmart products are manufactured in China by cheap child labor, sweat shops. I do not buy Walmart goods.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Priya wrote:Walmart products are manufactured in China by cheap child labor, sweat shops. I do not buy Walmart goods.

Even you iphone may have the same issues. You never know what is manufactured where in what conditions.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:10 pm

sambarvada wrote:===> This is really bad news for India especially for the poor who make a meagre living by selling fruits and vegetables.

this is not going to be easy. There are going to be big protests. Not sure if it can come through.

a lot of shopping in India is local and there is a huge market of reasonable quality but unbranded goods. They sell on small margins and not sure how much Walmart can suck out of the manufacturers. People will get a lot of variety in a similar price range outside of Walmart. It may get more share from upper middle class.

Vegatables in Walmart do not work that well. Also there are the likes of foodworld which already have presence there. People get really fresh vegiies in the roadside stalls near them. However a lot has changed in India and this may change as well.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

charvaka wrote:Foreign players have been lobbying the government intensely for years, and they finally seem to be giving in:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-24/wal-mart-may-open-india-retail-stores-as-panel-said-to-advise-easing-laws.html

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) and Carrefour SA (CA) may gain access to the retail market of the world’s second most-populous country after an Indian government panel was said to have recommended easing restrictions on the industry.

Overseas companies could be allowed to own as much as 51 percent of stores that sell more than one brand if they invest a minimum of $100 million, a panel of bureaucrats in New Delhi recommended on July 22, according to a finance ministry official. The cabinet will make a decision after consultations are held, said the person, who had direct knowledge of the matter and declined to be identified before an announcement.

well if India is making money ( again i mean India and not just our ministers) out of this whole deal then why not! Although I believe India needs to become stronger from within and promote local businesses and products but if we let others do business on our land for a lot of money then I guess its ok. So wallamart hmm I once went there to buy plants with a friend, overall not a bad shop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 am

artood2 wrote:
Vegatables in Walmart do not work that well. Also there are the likes of foodworld which already have presence there. People get really fresh vegiies in the roadside stalls near them. However a lot has changed in India and this may change as well.

absolutely true. we have Reliance Fresh two blocks away from where we stay, but I have never seen anyone buying vegetables there. People buy groceries and fruit but not veggies. There are six vegetable roadside vendors between where I stay and Reliance Fresh and all of them are doing well. I buy vegetables from them. They are fresher than what Reliance Fresh sells. There was another super market in the area that recently closed.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 am

charvaka wrote:I am ambivalent about this one. I can see both positives and negatives related to this. I think at least in the initial years foreign retailers will focus on tier A cities where they will be fighting more organized retailers like Biyani's Future Group. And I hope the Indian consumer will continue to value the personal interaction and full service model of the neighborhood fruit vendor over the self-service convenience at a Walmart store.

The rise of organized retail, in addition to giving consumers better prices, will also improve the farm-to-store supply chain in India (which currently is highly inefficient) and more importantly, give farmers a better deal and eliminate middlement.

I don't see a Walmart superstore threatening the neighborhood kirana stores or the local vegetable vendors. After all, these guys deliver to the doorstep which Walmart can never do.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The rise of organized retail, in addition to giving consumers better prices, will also improve the farm-to-store supply chain in India (which currently is highly inefficient) and more importantly, give farmers a better deal and eliminate middlement.

I don't see a Walmart superstore threatening the neighborhood kirana stores or the local vegetable vendors. After all, these guys deliver to the doorstep which Walmart can never do.

Walmart does not really sell all the kirana stuff. So (unless there is a change in strategy) farmers are unlikely to benefit much. They will squeeze margins from manufacturers and the wholesalers or small retailers are likely to bear the brunt of competition. On the other hand Walmart may not enjoy the price differential between foreign made goods and market price (as they do in usa) and hence it may not be all that threatening.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 am

artood2 wrote:Walmart does not really sell all the kirana stuff. So (unless there is a change in strategy) farmers are unlikely to benefit much. They will squeeze margins from manufacturers and the wholesalers or small retailers are likely to bear the brunt of competition. On the other hand Walmart may not enjoy the price differential between foreign made goods and market price (as they do in usa) and hence it may not be all that threatening.
It depends on whether they can import all the Made-in-China crap they sell to Americans. I know many low-end Chinese imports are already available in India, but Wal-Mart takes that to a whole higher level. That will certainly give consumers better prices, but it has the potential to wipe out small manufacturing in India.

I don't think Wal-Mart will start with the cold supply chain (farm-to-store) in India, because that's a lot more challenging: it requires a lot of capital, while returns are not assured (for the reasons some posters mentioned above, like consumer preferences.) My suspicion is that they will try to focus on items with more shelf-life than vegetables.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 am

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:Walmart does not really sell all the kirana stuff. So (unless there is a change in strategy) farmers are unlikely to benefit much. They will squeeze margins from manufacturers and the wholesalers or small retailers are likely to bear the brunt of competition. On the other hand Walmart may not enjoy the price differential between foreign made goods and market price (as they do in usa) and hence it may not be all that threatening.
It depends on whether they can import all the Made-in-China crap they sell to Americans. I know many low-end Chinese imports are already available in India, but Wal-Mart takes that to a whole higher level. That will certainly give consumers better prices, but it has the potential to wipe out small manufacturing in India.

I don't think Wal-Mart will start with the cold supply chain (farm-to-store) in India, because that's a lot more challenging: it requires a lot of capital, while returns are not assured (for the reasons some posters mentioned above, like consumer preferences.) My suspicion is that they will try to focus on items with more shelf-life than vegetables.

The price differential with Chinese manufacturing is mostly on low end. I wonder if the differential is much at a better quality. Also, India may have more trade barriers than US, so importing may not always be cheap or feasible.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:43 am

artood2 wrote:Walmart does not really sell all the kirana stuff.

That's the model they've adopted in India. They have partnered Bharti in opening cash& carry outlets for bulk buyers (and not retail customers), servicing those very kirana stores.

charvaka wrote:I know many low-end Chinese imports are already available in India, but Wal-Mart takes that to a whole higher level. That will certainly give consumers better prices, but it has the potential to wipe out small manufacturing in India.

Small scale manufacturers spl in consumer segments have already been wiped out. EvverrRy thing is imported from China these days.

charvaka wrote:I don't think Wal-Mart will start with the cold supply chain (farm-to-store) in India, because that's a lot more challenging: it requires a lot of capital, while returns are not assured (for the reasons some posters mentioned above, like consumer preferences.) My suspicion is that they will try to focus on items with more shelf-life than vegetables.

This is what their website says:

"[size=9]Wholesale Cash-and-Carry to Benefit Retailers
[/size][size=9]Best Price Modern Wholesale store is a one-stop shop that meets the day-to-day needs of restaurant owners,
hoteliers, caterers, fruit and vegetable resellers, kiranas, other retail store owners, offices and institutions. The
store offers an assortment of approximately 6,000 items, including food and non-food items, which are available
at competitive wholesale prices, allowing retailers and business owners

to lower their cost of operations."
[/size]
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for the details MD. Looks like Walmart will be more Costco than Walmart. The big brunt will be on wholesalers and distributors. In any case with a number of small supermarkets coming up it is just a matter of time before things change in retail.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 pm

The current Walmart model in India is their temporary, holding pattern until they can sell direct to consumers. Right now, multi-brand retail is restricted to domestic ownership. If the government changes that, Walmart will move aggressively towards the consumer market.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down