Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telangana town names

+2
confuzzled dude
indophile
6 posters

Go down

Telangana town names Empty Telangana town names

Post by indophile Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:19 am

Are there any proposals in Telangana now to change the Nizam's Islamic renamings of some places back to their original Telugu names, like Calcutta to original Bengali Kolkotta, Trivandrum to its original Malayalam Thiruvananthapuram, Bangalore to its original Kannada Benguluru, Puna to its original Marathi Pune, etc)?

Nizamabad ---- to Induru
Mahboobnagar (makes a nice word-in-word cryptic clue) ----- to Palamuru 
Karimnagar ------- to Eligandla
Hyderabad ---- to Bhagyanagaram
and many more.
I hear local people still refer to them by their original Telugu names (except, may be Hyderabad). 

indophile

Back to top Go down

Telangana town names Empty Re: Telangana town names

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 am

What's the occasion sir, celebrating liberation of Telangana from the jaws of evil Andhra Sarkar?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't think that is going to happen especially since the gang that is going to rule Telangana is Nizamo-philic and "maa Telugu talliki mallepoodanda"-phobic. Telangana will become more like a NI-ish BIMARU state and RSS, MIM, doralu and Naxalites will thrive for the next little while. 

If CONmen come to power in Telangana, they may change the names:

Nizamabad - will remain NIZAMabad
Mahaboobsnagar will be changed to Rahulabad
Karimnagar will be changed to Soniakkaapur
Hyderabad will be changed to Vadragutta

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:What's the occasion sir, celebrating liberation of Telangana from the jaws of evil Andhra Sarkar?
Well! Nothing special, just a measure of how proud Telanganaites want to be. Expected Telanganaites to jettison those names so  they won't be saddled with remnants of their Nizam rulers through those names, when original names for those places do exist and are still in use today?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Incidentally, there is a talk in the media on Nagarjuna Sagar as a candidate for the new capital of AP. May be your idea that Macherla area should be the capital will come true. If KCR ever visits that place and opens his foul mouth, the locals (Palnadu!) will give him karra danda and cheppula sEva. There is a sameta in Palnadu - Palnati kukkalu kooda insults sahimchavu.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Hey, I never said Macharla. My favorite always has been Amaravati. That reminds me of "swargam." Plenty of water with Krishna river flowing by, scenic surroundings with the river cutting through the mountains, not too far from commercial/financial / agricultural centers of Vijayawada and Guntur, no agricultural land nearby that could be ravaged due to the new capital, smack in the middle of the state, close to the port, the river is perfectly navigable all the way to the sea from just about 10 miles downstream. This place is very similar to Hampi Vijayanagaram in location and expanse.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't think a name change will happen because of the communal angle. Even if(a big IF) a proposal is made, Owaisi and his ilk will cry foul and shoot it down. Locals call Mahabub Nagar as Palamoor but I have never heard of non Muslim names for the other places you mentioned. And while  Bhagyanagar is occasionally mentioned here and there in Telugu publications, it is as an adjective rather than as a name.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:42 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I don't think that is going to happen especially since the gang that is going to rule Telangana is Nizamo-philic and "maa Telugu talliki mallepoodanda"-phobic. Telangana will become more like a NI-ish BIMARU state and RSS, MIM, doralu and Naxalites will thrive for the next little while. 

There is a high probability that your prediction will come true. Formation of a separate state may be a "moral victory" for Telanganites but materially it may not amount to much. If leaders from the place hadn't been such sell outs why would the place be under developed for so long?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Incidentally, there is a talk in the media on Nagarjuna Sagar as a candidate for the new capital of AP. May be your idea that Macherla area should be the capital will come true. If KCR ever visits that place and opens his foul mouth, the locals (Palnadu!) will give him karra danda and cheppula sEva. There is a sameta in Palnadu - Palnati kukkalu kooda insults sahimchavu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWq1xZI2qFg

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I don't think that is going to happen especially since the gang that is going to rule Telangana is Nizamo-philic and "maa Telugu talliki mallepoodanda"-phobic. Telangana will become more like a NI-ish BIMARU state and RSS, MIM, doralu and Naxalites will thrive for the next little while. 

Hmmm...

I wouldn't change the name if it were true.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:49 pm

indophile wrote:Hey, I never said Macharla. My favorite always has been Amaravati. That reminds me of "swargam." Plenty of water with Krishna river flowing by, scenic surroundings with the river cutting through the mountains, not too far from commercial/financial / agricultural centers of Vijayawada and Guntur, no agricultural land nearby that could be ravaged due to the new capital, smack in the middle of the state, close to the port, the river is perfectly navigable all the way to the sea from just about 10 miles downstream. This place is very similar to Hampi Vijayanagaram in location and expanse.
Sure, Amaravati. Capital of the Satavahana (Andhra) empire! Yes, you can reach Amaravati from Vijayawada by boat in Krishna.

Satavahana empire was larger than that of Vijayanagara (or any SI) or Guptas.

When Satavahanas declined, the Iksvakus ruled in the Krishna delta. I wonder if the early Pallavas were an offshoot of this clan (TNwallahs may disagree with this; they also get edgy about most Nayakas being from our region :-)).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:25 am

nevada wrote:I don't think a name change will happen because of the communal angle. Even if(a big IF) a proposal is made, Owaisi and his ilk will cry foul and shoot it down. Locals call Mahabub Nagar as Palamoor but I have never heard of non Muslim names for the other places you mentioned. And while  Bhagyanagar is occasionally mentioned here and there in Telugu publications, it is as an adjective rather than as a name.

Yeah, it's always a one-way street when it comes to muslims in the name of maintaining peace. For example, it's fine if muslims appeal to ASI to change the name of Shankaracharya Hill in Srinagar to Suleiman-e-Takht (Suleiman's Fort), but it's not okay to change Nizamabad to Indur. Even Srinagar could be changed to Islamabad, and Anantnag to some other unheard of name in its history. Also, are Ayodhya and Faizabad different?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:15 pm

indophile wrote:
nevada wrote:I don't think a name change will happen because of the communal angle. Even if(a big IF) a proposal is made, Owaisi and his ilk will cry foul and shoot it down. Locals call Mahabub Nagar as Palamoor but I have never heard of non Muslim names for the other places you mentioned. And while  Bhagyanagar is occasionally mentioned here and there in Telugu publications, it is as an adjective rather than as a name.

Yeah, it's always a one-way street when it comes to muslims in the name of maintaining peace. For example, it's fine if muslims appeal to ASI to change the name of Shankaracharya Hill in Srinagar to Suleiman-e-Takht (Suleiman's Fort), but it's not okay to change Nizamabad to Indur. Even Srinagar could be changed to Islamabad, and Anantnag to some other unheard of name in its history. Also, are Ayodhya and Faizabad different?
Do you prefer monarchy over democracy or Pakistan over India? unless those town names were changed to Muslim sounding names after independence, you argument is not valid.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
indophile wrote:

Do you prefer monarchy over democracy or Pakistan over India? unless those town names were changed to Muslim sounding names after independence, you argument is not valid.
  Question

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
indophile wrote:

o
what makes indo 's suggestion invalid? madras and Bombay went back to historical names.
i really do not attach importance to city names but indo 's suggestion has strong validity. palamur is a good example.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
indophile wrote:

o
what makes indo 's suggestion invalid? madras and Bombay went back to historical names.
i really do not attach importance to city names but indo 's suggestion has strong validity. palamur is a good example.

Most of the name changes occurred in recent times were spelling/pronunciation corrections; What Indo is proposing is quite different, probably won't server any purpose other than causing rift between Hindus and Muslims. I think only Mahabubnagar & Nizamabad have historical names, I don't think Hyderabad was ever called Bhagyanagaram.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Cd
what pronunciation/spelling was involved in Madras to Chennai?
I think Hyderabad should remain the same. Palamur is a good candidate because it is widely used to this day.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:14 am

truthbetold wrote:Cd
what pronunciation/spelling was involved in Madras to Chennai?
I think Hyderabad should remain the same. Palamur is a good candidate because it is widely used to this day.
TBT:
You can find a list of many of the renamed towns, states, etc., here. Not every place is mentioned however, I can come up with at least a dozen more places all over India that were renamed recently (In Indian history, "recently" could stretch to a very long time by American standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_renamed_Indian_cities_and_states

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down