Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woo hoo did my taxes...

5 posters

Go down

Woo hoo did my taxes... Empty Woo hoo did my taxes...

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:43 am

...and two days ahead of the deadline too. The Income Tx dept pleasantly surprised me with a e-filing process that was amazingly hitch-free.

Made me get over the sheer angst of having to fork out even more taxes in addition to the extortionate amount they'd waylaid and stolen even before any money reached my pockets.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Woo hoo did my taxes... Empty Re: Woo hoo did my taxes...

Post by Another Brick Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 am

did that this morning. govt. made my life easier by asking me only to fill out a PDF and then make an XML out of it. easy as ABC. i am happy with the efficiency of the process and the availability of the website. all for free. yeah, now i have to send them a post (i first need to locate a post office/box in my area) later but that's a small price to pay for what has been a hassle-free experience.

JAI HIND!

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:42 am

hina rabbani khar and her cronies have not paid any income tax for the last several years. they are agriculturists. they pay agriculture tax, lol. she produces polo shirts and accessories in her sprawling farms. in india also agricultural income is non taxable. i don't know why my father (and his brothers) stopped using that haven -- possibly 'cos of scrutiny.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 am

Another Brick wrote:did that this morning. govt. made my life easier by asking me only to fill out a PDF and then make an XML out of it. easy as ABC.

Eh? How come you used the ITR-1? What abt all of last year's STCG, you bandit??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:07 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Another Brick wrote:did that this morning. govt. made my life easier by asking me only to fill out a PDF and then make an XML out of it. easy as ABC.

Eh? How come you used the ITR-1? What abt all of last year's STCG, you bandit??

scratch STCG? i don't know anything about it! will they lathicharge me? oh my god! what did i do? i hope i did not invite a notice or worse, a jail term.

last year, i paid someone 200 to do it for me. i hope he did the right thing.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:50 am

hold on. i know what you meant by STCG. short term gains. there is a section for that in ITR-1 - additional income, right? for STCG and FD interest.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:58 am

Another Brick wrote:hold on. i know what you meant by STCG. short term gains. there is a section for that in ITR-1 - additional income, right? for STCG and FD interest.

Vinodini, STCG is taxed at 15% but by clubbing it with other income, you're paying at the marginal rate which is 30%.

Anyway, since the deed is done, you hereby get a pat on the back for being a good citizen and paying more tax than you owe. Feel free to hog up two lanes on your drive back this evening.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:08 am

confession time - i haven't shown my not significant STCG while filing returns. there, i have lost the right to criticize the govt, municipal corporation and most things bad. that pat be replaced by a kick and it should be few inches lower.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:...and two days ahead of the deadline too. The Income Tx dept pleasantly surprised me with a e-filing process that was amazingly hitch-free.

i am assuming that it is online. i will google but if you can or do read this, can you provide a link? i need to see something here...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:30 am

Impedimenta wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:...and two days ahead of the deadline too. The Income Tx dept pleasantly surprised me with a e-filing process that was amazingly hitch-free.
i am assuming that it is online. i will google but if you can or do read this, can you provide a link? i need to see something here...

You can find all the dope at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.

Now, where is my blue-petaled flower? Or do you just shower Mr Admin with those??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:33 am

Another Brick wrote:confession time - i haven't shown my not significant STCG while filing returns. there, i have lost the right to criticize the govt, municipal corporation and most things bad. that pat be replaced by a kick and it should be few inches lower.

Humph. May you get stuck behind a crawling goods-autorickshaw for the entire length of your commute home, with a MSRTC bus on the side, belching thick black smoke.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

You can find all the dope at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.

Now, where is my blue-petaled flower? Or do you just shower Mr Admin with those??

very impressive although the site can be a bit more organized and intuitive. they have a filing piece and a service piece. Wonder if there is an imaging aspect to it. did you append any exhibits along with your filings? did you get email confirmation for your submission? can you see the "status" of your filing online? also, did you read or see a piece about "redaction" when you submit sensitive information?

i see that they use an "xsd" to maintain efiling uniformity throughout the system, probably easier for backend integration with the case management system. The preferred form of document submission is a PDF. Makes sense because you can extract "data" from a PDF in an XML format and that is how they gather data in the system, XML format.

pretty kewl, here is one flower for giving me the links and one more flower for listening to me blabber...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 am

Aiyyo...feeling nitpicky this morning, are we? Fine, be that way.

The process is very simple and entirely offline. The website is merely for downloading the form and for uploading the system-generated XML.

You download a PDF or XL (depending on whether you'll honestly declare all your income or will cheat like Vinodini) and fill in specific cells (marked in green). The XL validates all the fields, populates the rest of the form based on your entered data and calculates the tax payable. All this is offline.

Once everything is done, click on a button in the XL sheet; that generates the XML file. Then log into this website, upload the XML and you get an instant confirmation of successful upload. If you - like me - dont have a digital signature, then you have to download the ITR-V form containing all your data (which is the acknowledgment), sign the hard copy and mail it to the central processing center in Bangalore. You're supposed to get an email acknowledgment of receipt once they get the form. And that closes the loop.

PS: No imaging, no attachments. Only the XML
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:11 pm

aiyoo back, not nitpicking at all but merely curious. I wonder why they do what they do offline with XL and stuff. i am sure that there is still an option for paper filings because not all can be assumed to be tech/internet savvy.

They should probably consider building a "billing" and "workflow" piece into this so they can give an option for the "ofline processing" to be done online as well. Would be very curious to find out if the buck stops after the filing reaches the central processing center in B'lore. is access centralized as the filing moves from one status to another? more importantly, is the process manual from then on? i'll stop with my questions. i think i am going to find out though.

thanks for listening and patiently answering my questions.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Another Brick wrote:confession time - i haven't shown my not significant STCG while filing returns. there, i have lost the right to criticize the govt, municipal corporation and most things bad. that pat be replaced by a kick and it should be few inches lower.
LATHICHAAAAAAARGE!!!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 am

Impedimenta wrote:i am sure that there is still an option for paper filings because not all can be assumed to be tech/internet savvy.

Yes, that option continues as before. Only, e-filing is supposed to lead to faster refunds whereas the wait can be anywhere from 12-24 months in the manual process.

Impedimenta wrote:They should probably consider building a "billing" and "workflow" piece into this so they can give an option for the "ofline processing" to be done online as well.

I don't see any advantage in the data-population process being made online. OTOH, it introduces tremendous complexity in the web design as well as the back-end infrastructure to enable continuity for users who fill the form up in bits and pieces a day at a time (Eg: I took one entire week).

Impedimenta wrote:Would be very curious to find out if the buck stops after the filing reaches the central processing center in B'lore. is access centralized as the filing moves from one status to another? more importantly, is the process manual from then on?

Who cares? As in the US, once you receive the acknowledgment of receipt of your returns, your job is done. It could be an army of chimps processing your document there onwards. All one cares for is the status of the refund - that is available on a different website.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:08 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Only, e-filing is supposed to lead to faster refunds whereas the wait can be anywhere from 12-24 months in the manual process.

zu r rait. bo0t za damb gaavt fakin uzz ba maikin zarviz dacs pawable won belling. ze damb gaavt harten zmall bizman. za egstra damb gaavt mazt ve laadhi garged. itzzz vonli maddr ov taim. zu geep bebii botatoez in ztock vor yemrgenzy wen vee laadhi garge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
zu r rait. bo0t za damb gaavt fakin uzz ba maikin zarviz dacs pawable won belling. ze damb gaavt harten zmall bizman. za egstra damb gaavt mazt ve laadhi garged. itzzz vonli maddr ov taim. zu geep bebii botatoez in ztock vor yemrgenzy wen vee laadhi garge.

care to translate this tracy ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:23 pm

seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Let me try: You are right. but the dumb govt. f'ing us by making service(?) docs payable on billing(?). The dumb govt. is hurting small businessman. The extra dumb govt. must be lathi charged. It's only a matter of time. You keet baby potatoes in stock for emergency when we lathi charge.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Let me try: You are right. but the dumb govt. f'ing us by making service(?) docs payable on billing(?). The dumb govt. is hurting small businessman. The extra dumb govt. must be lathi charged. It's only a matter of time. You keet baby potatoes in stock for emergency when we lathi charge.
lol!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:21 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:i am sure that there is still an option for paper filings because not all can be assumed to be tech/internet savvy.

Yes, that option continues as before. Only, e-filing is supposed to lead to faster refunds whereas the wait can be anywhere from 12-24 months in the manual process.

Impedimenta wrote:They should probably consider building a "billing" and "workflow" piece into this so they can give an option for the "ofline processing" to be done online as well.

I don't see any advantage in the data-population process being made online. OTOH, it introduces tremendous complexity in the web design as well as the back-end infrastructure to enable continuity for users who fill the form up in bits and pieces a day at a time (Eg: I took one entire week).

Impedimenta wrote:Would be very curious to find out if the buck stops after the filing reaches the central processing center in B'lore. is access centralized as the filing moves from one status to another? more importantly, is the process manual from then on?

Who cares? As in the US, once you receive the acknowledgment of receipt of your returns, your job is done. It could be an army of chimps processing your document there onwards. All one cares for is the status of the refund - that is available on a different website.

aiyoo agent sirji,
there are several ways to design web based applications [now a days]
that handle heavy processing online. Also the same when it comes
advanced session management and say for ex, an "in progress" section to
"get back" to already started filings. that is not the issue. Think
outside of the box. filings are not limited to the tax courts. hence
processing does not stop with computing tax returns. there could be a
whole judgment and post judgment process involved [with advanced work
flow management and document management] in moving a filing from one
status to another. agreed that given the complexity of the income tax
process, the website has it pretty much covered but a complete e filing
system makes a strong point for a standard and uniform way of doing
business in the judiciary, don't you think? given all the tech talent in
India, they should have the most advanced centralized e filing system
in the world, i would think. i would like to see something that has everything from self registration to self service. i wonder how the case management system flows in india. is there even a full fledged case management system? a sound e filing system is made up of a comprehensive CMS, DMS and the e filing piece.

now where would i find this information? i was looking for white papers but google did not really help me.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:24 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

lol!

sir admin laff a lot,

a bit too liberal with the LOL icon usage, aren't we? just an observation.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

ty. its really hard to understand for ppl who dont speak zibberish #:-s phew

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Impedimenta wrote:sir admin laff a lot,

a bit too liberal with the LOL icon usage, aren't we? just an observation.
Yes ma'am. I love that icon because of the moving LOL flag. Also like the hairstyle on teh guy, and the large front toothage he sports. A winning combination all in all, if you ask me.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:25 am

Impedimenta wrote:aiyoo agent sirji,
there are several ways to design web based applications [now a days]
that handle heavy processing online. Also the same when it comes
advanced session management and say for ex, an "in progress" section to
"get back" to already started filings. that is not the issue. Think
outside of the box. filings are not limited to the tax courts. hence
processing does not stop with computing tax returns. there could be a
whole judgment and post judgment process involved [with advanced work
flow management and document management] in moving a filing from one
status to another. agreed that given the complexity of the income tax
process, the website has it pretty much covered but a complete e filing
system makes a strong point for a standard and uniform way of doing
business in the judiciary, don't you think? given all the tech talent in
India, they should have the most advanced centralized e filing system
in the world, i would think. i would like to see something that has everything from self registration to self service. i wonder how the case management system flows in india. is there even a full fledged case management system? a sound e filing system is made up of a comprehensive CMS, DMS and the e filing piece.

now where would i find this information? i was looking for white papers but google did not really help me.

Priyamvadai, I'm taking your advice and thinking outside the box. But all this CMS..PMS is heavy stuff. Why don't we schedule a one-on-one for next month when I'm in NYC. Will be happy to give you all the information you're looking for and also my personalized assessment of your ideas (amongst other things)..what say??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Humph. May you get stuck behind a crawling goods-autorickshaw for the entire length of your commute home, with a MSRTC bus on the side, belching thick black smoke.

haha. that happens evwwWWrryy ddDDAy. however, as if to teach me a lesson, a stock corrected by 20% in the last week. this after i had a chance to book my profits on that stock (~10%) two weeks ago.

btw, i had totally forgotten that the taxes on STCG is only 15%. when i had asked an agent to do it on my behalf last year, that's what he had used to calculate my taxes.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
seven wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

good job. "service tax" not service docs."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:31 am

Embarassed of course it was tax, not docs. What was I thinking.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:38 am

that's what happens when you post in middle of software documentation. what if you typed rashmun/kabir/queenbee in some script? bad situation.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down