Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should +/- be abandoned?

+6
Hellsangel
SomeProfile
Rekz
charvaka
ashaNirasha
artood2
10 posters

Go down

Should +/- be disbanded?

Should +/- be abandoned? Vote_lcap50%Should +/- be abandoned? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 10 ]
Should +/- be abandoned? Vote_lcap50%Should +/- be abandoned? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 20

Should +/- be abandoned? Empty Should +/- be abandoned?

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:29 pm

in light of recent discussions, please vote.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Should +/- be abandoned? Empty Re: Should +/- be abandoned?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 pm

People here are pretty vocal about their approvals and disapprovals. So I guess keeping the buttons don't make any difference.

Since my vote is nuetral and that is not a voting option, am not voting.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:People here are pretty vocal about their approvals and disapprovals. So I guess keeping the buttons don't make any difference.

Since my vote is nuetral and that is not a voting option, am not voting.

Hey no poll gets more than 10 voters. you are one of the few who votes, so please do not sit this one out.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:46 pm

*bump*
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I voted to remove the buttons. I don't like them. We don't need evaluations here. We all post crap although only some of it is called blip blah.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

I voted no. If this poll gets 20 votes or more, and a majority of voters say get rid of it, I will get rid of the +/- buttons. We can keep it open for a week to give people a chance to vote.

I know the 20 number is arbitrary, but I threw that number out based on a quick hand count of people who posted in the last 24 hours...
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

I doubt if any poll gets to 20.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 pm

artood2 wrote:I doubt if any poll gets to 20.
Good point.

I think the forum has now reached a steady state in terms of its setup. Any major changes from here on should be made only if there is a big case for change. I am not wedded to the 20 number, but I do think the threshold for what we consider quorum on any such polls from here on should be fairly high.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 pm

I think the poll should be left open for at least 4-5 days before taking the final decision. Posters should be encouraged and reminded to vote. I don't know why people don't respond more to the polls, especially those related to the working of the forum.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:08 pm

yeah - remove it. who cares - we post responses liking/disliking anyways...

Now, unless you want to incentivize it like Sulekha points did...then let's talk! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Richard Hed wrote:yeah - remove it. who cares - we post responses liking/disliking anyways...

Now, unless you want to incentivize it like Sulekha points did...then let's talk! Very Happy

Should +/- be abandoned? 459784477 wah! good contribution
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Rekz wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:yeah - remove it. who cares - we post responses liking/disliking anyways...

Should +/- be abandoned? 459784477 wah! good contribution

Maami - I said "who cares" wrt +/- option. Context much? :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm

I can't believe people are such sensitive juveniles. Seriously, now people's blood pressure is being affected by negative votes from forum members? LOL!

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:18 pm

*bump*
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:55 pm

I too typed a poll about this last nite and then hit backspace and lost the msg Sad

So yes I think its doing more bad than good. We will do just fine without it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I too typed a poll about this last nite and then hit backspace and lost the msg Sad

So yes I think its doing more bad than good. We will do just fine without it. Misleading newcomers about other posters reputation is not something we would like to have on our forum. Lets get rid of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 pm

seven wrote:I too typed a poll about this last nite and then hit backspace and lost the msg Sad

So yes I think its doing more bad than good. We will do just fine without it. Misleading newcomers about other posters reputation is not something we would like to have on our forum. Lets get rid of it.

Poster's reputation does not matter at all. In fact there is no difference in positive or negative reputation. I have 8+ and 1- giving me a reputation of 7. Rashmun has 30+ and 71- giving him a reputation of 30. There is no +/- sign there. So posters reputation is irrelevant. The +/- matter only for the post under consideration.

Just a fun thing, IMAO.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:I too typed a poll about this last nite and then hit backspace and lost the msg Sad

Poster's reputation does not matter at all. In fact there is no difference in positive or negative reputation. I have 8+ and 1- giving me a reputation of 7. Rashmun has 30+ and 71- giving him a reputation of 30. There is no +/- sign there. So posters reputation is irrelevant. The +/- matter only for the post under consideration.

Just a fun thing, IMAO.
Correct. That reputation thing is broken, and needs to be removed. If I can figure out a way to remove it, I will.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:40 pm

artood2 wrote:

Posters reputation does not matter at all. In fact there is no difference in positive or negative reputation. I have 8+ and 1- giving me a reputation of 7. Rashmun has 30+ and 71- giving him a reputation of 30. There is no +/- sign there. So posters reputation is irrelevant. The +/- matter only for the post under consideration.

Just a fun thing, IMAO.

well not IMHO. it's no fun unless ofcoz u call wat happened between rashmun and carvaka, fun. the original purpose of the feature IMO is to help lurkers or newcomers understand whose post to take seriously and who isnt credible according to the users. Nobody is using it to rate the post. Giving negative votes to users they dont like/have a difference in opinion with/simply to test the feature, is creating more enmity is all.

Your saying give positive votes to support is only good when everyone is civil and did it not just for fun or to rile up some users. Which is clearly not the case here.

I vote lose the +/- option.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:42 pm

seven wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Posters reputation does not matter at all. In fact there is no difference in positive or negative reputation. I have 8+ and 1- giving me a reputation of 7. Rashmun has 30+ and 71- giving him a reputation of 30. There is no +/- sign there. So posters reputation is irrelevant. The +/- matter only for the post under consideration.

Just a fun thing, IMAO.

well not IMHO. it's no fun unless ofcoz u call wat happened between rashmun and carvaka, fun. the original purpose of the feature IMO is to help lurkers or newcomers understand whose post to take seriously and who isnt credible according to the users. Nobody is using it to rate the post. Giving negative votes to users they dont like/have a difference in opinion with/simply to test the feature, is creating more enmity is all.

Your saying give positive votes to support is only good when everyone is civil and did it not just for fun or to rile up some users. Which is clearly not the case here.

I absolutely do not mind riling up folks who can be wound up by a few reds. Welcome to internet folks.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:46 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Just a fun thing, IMAO.

I absolutely do not mind riling up folks who can be wound up by a few reds. Welcome to internet folks.

I wont be surprised if you didnt mind doing that in real life too. But I don't think i wana do that ( even on the internet), hence the vote. I only hope enough people vote to remove the option.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

seven wrote:

I wont be surprised if you didnt mind doing that in real life too. But I don't think i wana do that ( even on the internet), hence the vote. I only hope enough people vote to remove the option.

you can extrapolate any way you want it.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:

you can extrapolate any way you want it.

Either ways, i am sure ppl will get bored of this silly voting fight and give up eventually.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

*bump*
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:52 pm

whoa this one got close.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 pm

artood2 wrote:whoa this one got close.
Maybe z11, z12 and z13 voted.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I voted today sticker should be included in all polls.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

I sense rigging here.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm

artood2 wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

I sense rigging here.
Me too. We are still three votes short for a quorum.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Noooo! I like this juvenile feature. Why would I not like my posts to be rated by the Blip Blop Blah crowd?!
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

CroMagnon wrote:Noooo! I like this juvenile feature. Why would I not like my posts to be rated by the Blip Blop Blah crowd?!

--> because if you ever get into a fight with Admin Charvaka he will keep reminding you again and again of how many negative votes you have got.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:13 pm

carvaka agreed to disable the damn feature next time he logs in as admin. die thread die !

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 pm

seven wrote:carvaka agreed to disable the damn feature next time he logs in as admin. die thread die !

No he did not. He said he would follow the voting results.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:10 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:carvaka agreed to disable the damn feature next time he logs in as admin. die thread die !

No he did not. He said he would follow the voting results.

ohk. i remembered reading caravak saying sth like i will delete it when i login as admin smwhere. so i guess keep it is winning. too bad, this drama is not going to end anytime soon.

i am telling u this feature is like bandar ke hath mein tarbooz. i cant wait to see the ways in which ppl are going to use it here LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:11 pm

The feature has been around for enough time. Only a few got riled by it.

Bandar ke haath mein tarbooz can be interesting but it is only minor problem. Bandar ke haath mein bandook is a bigger problem. Bandook it is not.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:13 pm

the real saying is bandar ke haath me USTARA...jeez at people toding taang of Hindi like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:the real saying is bandar ke haath me USTARA...jeez at people toding taang of Hindi like that.

I know ustara was the original version but bandook is the more damaging one. Other versions has nariyal rather than tarbooz.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:the real saying is bandar ke haath me USTARA...jeez at people toding taang of Hindi like that.

LOL @ toding

the version i remember was about tarbooz lol...point is its a perfect tool for all kinds of monkey business.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:40 pm

What is ustara?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

charvaka wrote:
What is ustara?

razor
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm

*bump*

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:*bump*

why are so shamelessly selfish in bumping up this thread?

Why are you afraid of negative votes to your posts ?

Why can't you stand any criticism of your "views"

+/- is one passive, peaceful manner in which a poster can disagree with your post - in order to avoid your abuse of his mother, sister, and family

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rashmun wrote:*bump*

why are so shamelessly selfish in bumping up this thread?

Why are you afraid of negative votes to your posts ?

Why can't you stand any criticism of your "views"

+/- is one passive, peaceful manner in which a poster can disagree with your post - in order to avoid your abuse of his mother, sister, and family

despite all the multiple negative votes you have been giving me, my reputation remains rock solid. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:58 am

Rashmun wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

despite all the multiple negative votes you have been giving me, my reputation remains rock solid.

Should +/- be abandoned? 3077217049

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 am

i am not voting because i am indifferent to this feature. i used it 2-3 times and saw no point in it. and i don't even look at the meter any more. like someone on this thread said, we make our opinion about a post very clear.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down