Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nothing has changed after all these years

+2
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

nothing has changed after all these years Empty nothing has changed after all these years

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 pm

i was out on a walk with my pooch and my daughter this afternoon. i met an elderly indian couple who were obviously visiting their son/daughter. turns out they were from s.lamberdar's home state. they stopped us and wanted to talk to us. we did, and they kept conversing with us in hindi and i stubbornly stuck to english. at the end, the older gentleman asked my daughter, "beti you don't speak hindi?". my daughter perked up and replied, "no but i do speak tamil". crestfallen, mr. sanjan (not his real name), said, "oh you must ask your father to teach you hindi". my young daughter wholly unaware of the language politics remarked, "dad that guy is weird. why isn't he impressed that i speak a language besides my native tongue?"
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

nothing has changed after all these years Empty Re: nothing has changed after all these years

Post by Kris Sat May 10, 2014 7:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i was out on a walk with my pooch and my daughter this afternoon. i met an elderly indian couple who were obviously visiting their son/daughter. turns out they were from s.lamberdar's home state. they stopped us and wanted to talk to us. we did, and they kept conversing with us in hindi and i stubbornly stuck to english. at the end, the older gentleman asked my daughter, "beti you don't speak hindi?". my daughter perked up and replied, "no but i do speak tamil". crestfallen, mr. sanjan (not his real name), said, "oh you must ask your father to teach you hindi". my young daughter wholly unaware of the language politics remarked, "dad that guy is weird. why isn't he impressed that i speak a language besides my native tongue?"

>>>It is worse when kids start parroting this stuff. My son was telling me about some kids in high school who were making inside 'Indian' jokes which he felt uncomfortable with. It turns out they were also on this NI/SI trip despite speaking no Indian language. He felt the whole thing was contrived to feel a sense of belonging.

Kris

Back to top Go down

nothing has changed after all these years Empty Re: nothing has changed after all these years

Post by Guest Sat May 10, 2014 8:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i was out on a walk with my pooch and my daughter this afternoon. i met an elderly indian couple who were obviously visiting their son/daughter. turns out they were from s.lamberdar's home state. they stopped us and wanted to talk to us. we did, and they kept conversing with us in hindi and i stubbornly stuck to english. at the end, the older gentleman asked my daughter, "beti you don't speak hindi?". my daughter perked up and replied, "no but i do speak tamil". crestfallen, mr. sanjan (not his real name), said, "oh you must ask your father to teach you hindi". my young daughter wholly unaware of the language politics remarked, "dad that guy is weird. why isn't he impressed that i speak a language besides my native tongue?"

I had two interesting somewhat related experiences. Once there was a conversation between the cleaning guy, myself, and two other people at my workplace. The cleaning guy is Nepali and the other two people were Maharashtrian and Pakistani. We were using hindi to converse with each other even though when I talk individually with the Marathi or Pakistani it is in English ( but when talking individually with the Nepali guy the conversation is in Hindi).
Then there is a Kashmiri Muslim guy at my workplace who always talks to me in Hindi. Once he, a Pakistani ( not the one mentioned earlier, this is a second Pakistani) and a Hyderabadi Hindu were together with me and the conversation was again in Hindi.

I recall a Nepali person in Vellore telling me that he is unhappy about how some Tamils pretend not to know hindi even when they know the language. His point was he should be allowed to communicate in Hindi with a Tamilian who knows hindi. since his first language is Nepali , which the Tamil does not know , the allegation of bias and linguistic chauvinism should not apply to someone like him.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat May 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Am confused. I thought Tamil is your native tongue. Does your daughter have a different native language ?

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 10, 2014 8:09 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Am confused. I thought Tamil is your native tongue. Does your daughter have a different native language ?

my daughter who was born and raised in the US considers english her native tongue. tamil is my native language.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 10, 2014 9:52 pm

You should have told him that you wld teach your kid Sanskrit - as hindi and urdu are impure form of sanskrit, and Gujarati bcz hindi will be useless except to converse with old, dying people...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 am

So were you conversing with him in hindi ? How did he know that you know hindi if you stubbornly stuck to English?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 11:09 am

Whats wrong in their expectation ? If your idols MT Sonia and Priyanka and Rahul speak hindi why can't/shouldn't a Tamilian?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

b_A wrote:

So were you conversing with him in hindi ? How did he know that you know hindi if you stubbornly stuck to English?

he was addressing me in hindi and i was replying back in english.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 11, 2014 9:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
b_A wrote:

he was addressing me in hindi and i was replying back in english.

May be your english was so bad that he preferred hindi...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon May 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:

I had two interesting somewhat related experiences. Once there was a conversation between the cleaning guy, myself, and two other people at my workplace. The cleaning guy is Nepali and the other two people were Maharashtrian and Pakistani. We were using hindi to converse with each other even though when I talk individually with the Marathi or Pakistani it is in English ( but when talking individually with the Nepali guy the conversation is in Hindi).
Then there is a Kashmiri Muslim guy at my workplace who always talks to me in Hindi. Once he, a Pakistani ( not the one mentioned earlier, this is a second Pakistani) and a Hyderabadi Hindu were together with me and the conversation was again in Hindi.

I recall a Nepali person in Vellore telling me that he is unhappy about how some Tamils pretend not to know hindi even when they know the language. His point was he should be allowed to communicate in Hindi with a Tamilian who knows hindi. since his first language is Nepali , which the Tamil does not know , the allegation of bias and linguistic chauvinism should not apply to someone like him.

you should have asked him to file a complaint in triplicate with the language court in vellore itself. then they can direct the offenders (sneaky hindi speaking tamilians that choose to hide their precious knowledge) to converse with the nepali in hindi.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down