Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the literature that american high schoolers read

+3
pravalika nanda
swapna
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

the literature that american high schoolers read Empty the literature that american high schoolers read

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 pm

why is it always so dark and gloomy? don't they know about their own humorists?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

the literature that american high schoolers read Empty Re: the literature that american high schoolers read

Post by Guest Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree. I started reading a couple of their books (I think 'catcher of the rye', 'the road'), slipped into depression and stopped reading them midway.

Back to top Go down

the literature that american high schoolers read Empty Re: the literature that american high schoolers read

Post by swapna Fri May 16, 2014 8:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why is it always so dark and gloomy? don't they know about their own humorists?

who are these american humorists that you're speaking of?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 pm

now that you ask me, i'm having a hard time coming up with names, but how about thurber? i also used to enjoy reading art buchwald's syndicated columns that the hindu used to print on sundays. after coming to the US i've enjoyed reading patrick mcmanus who writes funny stories set in the rural west about hunting and fishing. i can't come up with more names because i didn't grow up in the US, but my point was why do they only assign books that are so dark and gloomy? surely there are american funny men and women writers.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm

erma bombeck is another name that comes to mind. i remember reading some of her books in india. my aunt was a fan and i found her books lying around. she's quite funny.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri May 16, 2014 9:59 pm

the confederacy of dunces by john kennedy toole is pretty good. never liked thurber(cynical) or bombeck(boring).

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 pm

this year they've read the good earth, all quiet on the western front, a tale of two cities, and eli wiesel's night. why tale of two cities, but not pickwick papers?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:now that you ask me, i'm having a hard time coming up with names, but how about thurber? i also used to enjoy reading art buchwald's syndicated columns that the hindu used to print on sundays. after coming to the US i've enjoyed reading patrick mcmanus who writes funny stories set in the rural west about hunting and fishing. i can't come up with more names because i didn't grow up in the US, but my point was why do they only assign books that are so dark and gloomy? surely there are american funny men and women writers.

mark twain, perelman, dorothy parker too?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 16, 2014 11:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:now that you ask me, i'm having a hard time coming up with names, but how about thurber? i also used to enjoy reading art buchwald's syndicated columns that the hindu used to print on sundays. after coming to the US i've enjoyed reading patrick mcmanus who writes funny stories set in the rural west about hunting and fishing. i can't come up with more names because i didn't grow up in the US, but my point was why do they only assign books that are so dark and gloomy? surely there are american funny men and women writers.

Sad fact 1: the humorous american writer is a rare creature.

Sad fact 2: americans don't know sad fact 1.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 17, 2014 1:43 am

Kinnera wrote:I agree. I started reading a couple of their books (I think 'catcher of the rye', 'the road'), slipped into depression and stopped reading them midway.

>>> I noticed this too with my kids. In one particular instance, they were asked to write about a sad situation in their lives and if they couldn't think of one, they were asked to make one up. I took some comfort in that my kids were reading other stuff on their own and drew from a broader range of genres. Personally, I do remember almost going into a funk when I read Khalil Gibran while in grad school. My roommate had it on the bookshelf and I picked it up one day and started reading it. The work was 'The Broken Wing' or something like that and it was about a girl he falls in love with, but the local bishop gets married off to his nephew who is a ne'er-do-well. I think it was an autobiographical work and Gibran positively spews venom at eastern religious venom and not without reason, given his experience. I had to force myself to stop thinking about it, which wasn't easy since I liked his flair for words.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 am

For the most part, it is true that the recommended reading lists for American high school students consist of mostly dark and dreary classics, which I assume are included with "good intentions" that they can add to the personal growth and development, build character- in the teen age groups. 

It has been some time, but, do remember books like the Three Musketeers, Much Ado About Nothing..being on the list. I suppose it depends on the English Literature teachers..the more colorful they are, the books are too!

Was curious to see if anything has changed: 

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/high-school-literature?page=1

*Interesting how our own reading interests change with time too!  

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 6:47 am

the teen brain doesn't need external stimulus to feed it dark and gloomy thoughts. i wish they'd lighten the stress of these years by mixing it up with some serious but funny fare. they've already worked through a lot of the books on maria's list.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the teen brain doesn't need external stimulus to feed it dark and gloomy thoughts. i wish they'd lighten the stress of these years by mixing it up with some serious but funny fare.

I could not agree more!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun May 18, 2014 7:10 am

Max,

I like Ms. Shobana Vignesh...pretty, charming..always nice to listen to her voice..sweet and calming. Was just listening to her lovely rendition of Bharathiyar's "பிள்ளைக் கனியமுதே"..

Thought you may like it..and posting it in this gloomy thread- lifts one's spirit:) 

பிள்ளைக் கனியமுதே! கண்ணம்மா! பேசும் பொற் சித்திரமே!
அள்ளி அணைத்திடவே, என் முன்னே ஆடி வரும் தேனே!

ஆடித் திரிதல் கண்டால், உன்னைப் போய் ஆவி தழுவுதடி!

உச்சிதனை முகர்ந்தால், கருவம் ஓங்கி வளருதடி!
மெச்சி உனை ஊரார், புகழ்ந்தால் மேனி சிலிர்க்குதடி!

கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால், உள்ளந்தான் கள்வெறி கொள்ளுதடி!

உன் கண்ணில் நீர் வடிந்தால், என் நெஞ்சில் உதிரம் கொட்டுதடி!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjsM64B6wAU&feature=youtu.be

If you want to see her and listen:

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 18, 2014 10:35 am

thanks. will check it out.

aside -- have you heard the rock opera jesus christ superstar? what do you think of it?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun May 18, 2014 10:46 am

David Sedaris.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down