Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for india's persecuted minority

+9
pravalika nanda
SomeProfile
rawemotions
confuzzled dude
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Rishi
Ponniyin Selvan
Merlot Daruwala
MaxEntropy_Man
13 posters

Go down

for india's persecuted minority Empty for india's persecuted minority

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 4:49 am

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/world/asia/india-muslims-modi.html?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

for india's persecuted minority Empty Re: for india's persecuted minority

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/world/asia/india-muslims-modi.html?

Oh I thought you were talking about the limpwristed brigade who have been persecuted since birth for the crime of being born Hindu in a sickular country. But the silence on their plight is itself evidence of the discrimination against them.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat May 17, 2014 5:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/world/asia/india-muslims-modi.html?

I wanted Modi to win and voted for BJP alliance. I'm a bit worried though at the massive mandate. I have quite a few colleagues and friends in Chennai who belong to the minority religions and can clearly figure out their hidden fears. One of my Muslim colleague took one day of leave in the middle of the week and went all the way from Chennai to cudappah to vote for YRS against BJP/TDP in Seemandhra elections. 

Hopefully, Modi realises that large sections of people have real or imagined fear and takes steps to alleviate the fear and prove that he works for the welfare of everyone.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 17, 2014 6:03 am

Tavleen Singh, an Indian author and admirer of Mr. Modi, said that critics of Mr. Modi focused on his ties to rioting and assassinations without pointing out that such violence has long been part of Indian society.
India was born in 1947 amid the blood-soaked horror of partition, which split British India into Muslim-dominated Pakistan and largely Hindu India. Riots in New Delhi in 1984 after Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination by her Sikh bodyguards led to the killing of thousands of Sikhs, with leaders of the Indian National Congress participating. Violence among castes has long been a regular feature of rural life in India.
It’s an ugly Indian reality,” Ms. Singh said.

>>>Tavleen said it best.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 6:11 am

apparently during the election campaign he pointedly refused to wear the muslim skullcap. now i may have lauded this as a refusal to pander, if only he didn't also wear other types of headgear like the sikh turban etc. this to me is nothing but dog whistle politics.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 17, 2014 7:49 am

Max,

If you are so concerned about discrimination of Muslims in housing in India, I suggest you buy  a few apartments in Chennai and rent them exclusively to Muslims.

Imagine a middle class Hindu in a city in India. He works hard, borrows money from the bank and builds a small house. He wants to have an extra income which will help him in his retirement. He wants to rent it to a family whom he is comfortable dealing with. He does not want any headache or any potential violence. Believe me. There are assholes among Indian Muslims too. Suppose the Muslim renter skips on his monthly payments and assumes an aggressive posture when you demand the rent. What do you do? What if he brings his relatives and friends and threatens you? You have to walk on eggshells wondering if the Muslim guy will pull out the card of religious discrimination. What should that hardworking middle class Hindu do? Take his renter to court?

It is very easy for someone like you who is living an easy life to judge others when you are far away from the hardships the ordinary people go through.

I personally know a Hindu from Kerala who went through hell dealing with his tenant who happened to be a Muslim and a lawyer. The man skipped on his monthly payments. He purposely damaged the bathroom more than a few times and demanded it to be fixed before they wanted any rent. They could not evict him.  My friend's father health got worse. Started wondering if they have to bring in some RSS fellows to talk to the man. 

Can we blame some Hindus if they put a premium on peace of mind and hence avoid these problems altogether?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 8:01 am

Rishi wrote:Max,

If you are so concerned about discrimination of Muslims in housing in India, I suggest you buy  a few apartments in Chennai and rent them exclusively to Muslims.

Imagine a middle class Hindu in a city in India. He works hard, borrows money from the bank and builds a small house. He wants to have an extra income which will help him in his retirement. He wants to rent it to a family whom he is comfortable dealing with. He does not want any headache or any potential violence. Believe me. There are assholes among Indian Muslims too. Suppose the Muslim renter skips on his monthly payments and assumes an aggressive posture when you demand the rent. What do you do? What if he brings his relatives and friends and threatens you? You have to walk on eggshells wondering if the Muslim guy will pull out the card of religious discrimination. What should that hardworking middle class Hindu do? Take his renter to court?

It is very easy for someone like you who is living an easy life to judge others when you are far away from the hardships the ordinary people go through.

I personally know a Hindu from Kerala who went through hell dealing with his tenant who happened to be a Muslim and a lawyer. The man skipped on his monthly payments. He purposely damaged the bathroom more than a few times and demanded it to be fixed before they wanted any rent. They could not evict him.  My friend's father health got worse. Started wondering if they have to bring in some RSS fellows to talk to the man. 

Can we blame some Hindus if they put a premium on peace of mind and hence avoid these problems altogether?

two things. they used to do the same thing to black people in the US. would you have been okay with that? secondly, are you telling me that hindus are model renters and that landlords have no problems at all with them? the one instance when my family had problems with renters, it involved a kannada gowda police officer. the laws of a country have to be robust to protect all its citizens and have to be enforced. anecdotal experiences cannot be the basis for laws against housing discrimination.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat May 17, 2014 8:15 am

So, how many of these petrified Muslims live in Gujrat and how many, in states governed by highly sikular politicians? Why did these politicians allow such persecution of innocent people? Should Modi go after them for persecution under their watch?

Who is mouthkaa soudaagarh - Sonia? Mulayam? Laloo? Chauhan? Nitish?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 8:26 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:So, how many of these petrified Muslims live in Gujrat and how many, in states governed by highly sikular politicians? Why did these politicians allow such persecution of innocent people? Should Modi go after them for persecution under their watch?

no spiki hyderabadian.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 8:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:apparently during the election campaign he pointedly refused to wear the muslim skullcap. now i may have lauded this as a refusal to pander, if only he didn't also wear other types of headgear like the sikh turban etc. this to me is nothing but dog whistle politics.
He answers that question and many other questions in this interview. I am sure you can follow it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RRIQvViQw0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 8:31 am

Forget about muslims. Even if a hindu wants to rent an apartment in Chennai, the first question they ask is, 'Vegetarian or non-vegetarian?'

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 am

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:apparently during the election campaign he pointedly refused to wear the muslim skullcap. now i may have lauded this as a refusal to pander, if only he didn't also wear other types of headgear like the sikh turban etc. this to me is nothing but dog whistle politics.
He answers that question and many other questions in this interview. I am sure you can follow it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RRIQvViQw0

it's an hour long program interspersed with multiple ads and my grasp of hindi is only moderately good. what is the answer?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 8:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

it's an hour long program interspersed with multiple ads and my grasp of hindi is only moderately good. what is the answer?
Instead of criticizing Modi so much, i guess you need to listen to him answering and addressing all the allegations, doubts and fears that you have. You do spend so many hrs talking abt him here. Sparing an hour to listen to his interview isn't much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat May 17, 2014 9:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:So, how many of these petrified Muslims live in Gujrat and how many, in states governed by highly sikular politicians? Why did these politicians allow such persecution of innocent people? Should Modi go after them for persecution under their watch?

no spiki hyderabadian.
Sonia Gandhi is not a Hyderabadi, as far as I know.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 17, 2014 9:22 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

no spiki hyderabadian.

i was referring to you and whatever that moothka sudagraham or something you said above.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat May 17, 2014 9:44 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

no spiki hyderabadian.

i was referring to you and whatever that moothka sudagraham or something you said above.
That slogan was used by Sonia in Gujrat elections in the past. She called Modi a "killer" - referring to his "responsibility" for Muslims being killed in 2002. I was asking, who will take responsibility for Muslims being persecuted in states other than Gujrat.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 am

What do you expect from an idiot, moron & hypocrite of the highest order; he is like any typical Chaddi, will find excuses to defend deficiencies in his own religion but has no problem lamenting others. You know what happened to the US when it elected a moron who was wearing religion on his sleeve let's hope India will not have to suffer from a similar ordeal.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat May 17, 2014 10:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

two things. they used to do the same thing to black people in the US. would you have been okay with that? secondly, are you telling me that hindus are model renters and that landlords have no problems at all with them? the one instance when my family had problems with renters, it involved a kannada gowda police officer.  the laws of a country have to be robust to protect all its citizens and have to be enforced. anecdotal experiences cannot be the basis for laws against housing discrimination.
I pity you for your ignorance. There are few  major legal issues that is the root cause behind this issue. While it is good that things are changing, unless the underlying legal issues are resolved, it cannot completely be wished away.

a) The Muslim community in India is naturally segregated by law, which gives them a separate legal framework, this does NOT exist in US. 

Let us say you rent a house to a one family, he can have three wives. He approaches you to rent the house, with his first wife, then either she moves out or stays there itself and he then marries another one. the first one moves out and the second one stays in your apartment OR sometimes both might choose to stay.  Are you going to now define family as all three of them ? 

Let us say you buy a house from a Muslim, he signs the sale deed. But the next day another of his wives or his sons turn up and claim that part of it was ancestral property that this man couldn't have signed the deed and he says your purchase was illegal.  What are you going to do ?

They first need to abide by the same rules OR agree to an iron clad legal document which explicitly mentions that under no circumstances, will Muslim personal law be applied, incase of any disputes and the tenants completely agree to abide by regular civil code.

This might not happen with an educated Muslim in service sector with just one wife. I know many who have rented out and behaved exceptionally well. But it could happen with many others. That is the reason many housing societies have such discriminatory policies. If you are going to have discrimination by law, they counter it by discrimination in policy. First this has to STOP. 

b) Moreover they sometimes quite openly hold Sharia law as their mainstay for their actions, even though Indian Muslim personal law does not abide by Sharia. That apart, now the problem is some of the judges have been known to "liberally" borrow from Sharia, once a Muslim is involved in the case, if the dispute cannot be completely resolved by existing secular civil laws.

c) They favor the Ulema to decide disputes rather than existing courts and there is this new trend where AIMPLB have openly setup "Sharia Courts" right in the heart of Mumbai.

If they show a penchant for a segregated legal system then people would be wary of dealing with them. 

d) Then there is this ugly truth of ghettoization. They always seek safety in numbers, and once a few folks buy the property, there is this open display of Islamic religion, like painting the house green, flying flags etc.. playing up the cultural differences to the hilt. And pretty soon many more follow. At the end of the day lack of communal safety in case of disturbances drives everybody's motives. So ghettoization will not stop unless there are robust laws which attacks the provocateurs and if there are non-discriminatory mechanisms that prevents any communal disturbance from blowing up. Congress attempts to fix this was discriminating against Hindus.

e) In India, it is well known that laws are very tenant friendly. Despite agreements, if your tenant does not leave, it is very difficult to force them to leave. They can go to courts and your case is likely to be adjourned for years and good luck getting rent for those years.

So yes non-discriminatory equal housing laws are important, but the Muslims community have to agree to play by one set of rules, and the issues I mentioned above should also be addressed. It is to the courage of BJP, that they are the ONLY party which have openly talked about UCC, that would attack the root cause. No other party wants to openly debate this, despite the fact that the constitution itself explicitly recognizes a need for this.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat May 17, 2014 10:36 am

As the only man in the house, do you wear panties to assure your wife and daughters that you are supportive of them? Poda...

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

two things. they used to do the same thing to black people in the US. would you have been okay with that? secondly, are you telling me that hindus are model renters and that landlords have no problems at all with them? the one instance when my family had problems with renters, it involved a kannada gowda police officer.  the laws of a country have to be robust to protect all its citizens and have to be enforced. anecdotal experiences cannot be the basis for laws against housing discrimination.
i wish you would say that more often and uphold it.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat May 17, 2014 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat May 17, 2014 10:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Oh I thought you were talking about the limpwristed brigade who have been persecuted since birth for the crime of being born Hindu in a sickular country. But the silence on their plight is itself evidence of the discrimination against them.

is it not?

you called me a hate-hag yesterday, you're full of shit: only high-born secular elites worry about discrimination and equality and everyone else is waiting with a club in hand to beat up the minorities.

it's going to be sanctimony heaven from now for the secular-elites as long as modi is in power. thrilling, no doubt.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>The problem is they absolutely are not. Try filing a lawsuit in India and see how long it takes to make it though the process. Absent any confidence in the law, people have to look out for themselves. These anecdotal experiences do kick into the decision making process. This is the reality of India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 11:07 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
What do you expect from an idiot, moron & hypocrite of the highest order; he is like any typical Chaddi, will find excuses to defend deficiencies in his own religion but has no problem lamenting others. You know what happened to the US when it elected a moron who was wearing religion on his sleeve let's hope India will not have to suffer from a similar ordeal.
Oh wow! So if a muslim leader refuses to spot a tilak on his forehead, according to the wish of some hindus, do you consider him anti-hindu and ineligible to be a leader? This is liberal and secular thinking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat May 17, 2014 11:36 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:

I wanted Modi to win and voted for BJP alliance. I'm a bit worried though at the massive mandate. I have quite a few colleagues and friends in Chennai who belong to the minority religions and can clearly figure out their hidden fears. One of my Muslim colleague took one day of leave in the middle of the week and went all the way from Chennai to cudappah to vote for YRS against BJP/TDP in Seemandhra elections. 

Hopefully, Modi realises that large sections of people have real or imagined fear and takes steps to alleviate the fear and prove that he works for the welfare of everyone.
>>>On the contrary, this is what will keep Modi's feet to the fire, with economic development taking center stage. People don't vote you in with such a thumping majority with no expectations. He will have to show results. He has run a state before and must know what lies ahead. This minority/majority issue and fears around it will prove to be unfounded.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 17, 2014 11:43 am

This is a bunch of crap and happens worldwide. Instead of feelijng insecure, the muslims should think why they are made to feel when hindus allowed them to live in their country despite the fact that the muslims wanted a separate country for them.

1. Upper class muslims dont allow hindus to buy in their neighborhood.

2. Their brethren in ther countries threaten the minorites, who fear for their lives on a daily basis - they can be jailed and killed on fake blasphemy charges.

3. They isolate themselves in Boochanndi wear making the hindus fearful of even talking to half the muslim population.

4. Muslims holy book tell them to keep away from hindus, and kill them.

5. They fight in the name of their holy book and expect all other religions to toe their line and subservient to them.

It is the hindus who are made to feel insecure in their own country and you saw the result yesterday.

My condolences...and too bad if the muslims feel insecure. Time for them to change their way to instill confidence in other religions.

Why are the muslims hated worldwide by all religionists and all non-muslim countries. Why is that ONLY the muslims cause problems in every country they migrate to AND claim insecurity...?

I recommend that you buy a flat in Madras and rent it out to muslims... then file a report after 5 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Oh wow! So if a muslim leader refuses to spot a tilak on his forehead, according to the wish of some hindus, do you consider him anti-hindu and ineligible to be a leader? This is liberal and secular thinking!

Oh..you did not notice bigotry of the Intellectuals the last 3 days?

If hindus elect a sikh - they are secular

If they vote for a whitie and a phorener, the hindus are secular

If they vote for an Akali or a Muslim candidate they are secular.

If the hindus vote for a christian they are secular

But, lo and behold if the 80% hindu population vote for a hindu, they are all fundamentalist and the candidate becomes a Hindu Nationalist...

The bigotry and bias of the intellectuals are of the dumbest variety.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

But, lo and behold if the 80% hindu population vote for a hindu, they are all fundamentalist and the candidate becomes a Hindu Nationalist...

I am so glad millions of Indians showed their middle finger to these people.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat May 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

What! just Hindu Nationalist; as a lifelong RSS activist & muslim hater, Modi is a lot worse than that.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 17, 2014 2:45 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Still in the anger phase, Comrade?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat May 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Comrade is regressing after Friday sermon followed by oodarpu drinking party for jagan with like minded brothers..he is hung over and angry...hearing that vijayamma Aunty lost is vizag also hurts deep inside

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat May 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
The basic point is either be indifferent to religion or be consistent with your religious views. If you want to adhere to only your own religious practices/beliefs then be true to that but don't do half-assed job. I've no issues with govt. performing religious ground breaking ceremonies (Hindu style) at new projects or a Hindu politician attending Ifthar party. I'm not asking them to be agnostic.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down