Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

narenbhai has done well so far

+8
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
swapna
Hellsangel
Propagandhi711
truthbetold
Idéfix
Rishi
12 posters

Go down

narenbhai has done well so far Empty narenbhai has done well so far

Post by swapna Fri May 23, 2014 1:33 pm

All of the following are good signs: attention to the economy, the goal of small government, intense consultations on government formation, affinity for the east, with its enormous population (nearly 45 percent of the world's), initial steps to assume leadership of the south asian region (a population of at least 300 million outside india, a huge, growing market).

Is there any need for ministries other than: finance, home, external affairs, defence, economics and business, energy, health and human services, education, and environmental protection and natural resources? That's nine. That's enough.

The risks: some secret pact with the rss that they not interfere in government for the first three years, until young India's and the rising lower middle class's aspirations have been substantially satiated, then as a reward, greater freedom for the rss to pursue its narrow, hindu-national agenda in a less alert milieu.

I remain hopeful and optimistic.

swapna

Back to top Go down

narenbhai has done well so far Empty Re: narenbhai has done well so far

Post by Rishi Fri May 23, 2014 1:48 pm

swapna wrote:All of the following are good signs: attention to the economy, the goal of small government, intense consultations on government formation, affinity for the east, with its enormous population (nearly 45 percent of the world's), initial steps to assume leadership of the south asian region (a population of at least 300 million outside india, a huge, growing market).

Is there any need for ministries other than: finance, home, external affairs, defence, economics and business, energy, health and human services, education, and environmental protection and natural resources? That's nine. That's enough.

The risks: some secret pact with the rss that they not interfere in government for the first three years, until young India's and the rising lower middle class's aspirations have been substantially satiated, then as a reward, greater freedom for the rss to pursue its narrow, hindu-national agenda in a less alert milieu.

What is the difference between finance and "economics and business" ministries?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Rishi wrote:
swapna wrote:All of the following are good signs: attention to the economy, the goal of small government, intense consultations on government formation, affinity for the east, with its enormous population (nearly 45 percent of the world's), initial steps to assume leadership of the south asian region (a population of at least 300 million outside india, a huge, growing market).

What is the difference between finance and "economics and business" ministries?
I imagine the Finance Ministry to be responsible only for fiscal policy, ie, the government's revenue and spending policy, and with the reserve bank's help, monetary policy, whose goal is to bring about price stability.

There's a lot more to a nation's economic performance than the government's policies on revenue collection, spending, the fiscal deficit, and the resulting inflation rate. 

Examples: facilitating foreign direct investment, helping find markets for indian products, opening trade with other countries, and offering incentives for indian investment in critical sectors such as small business and renewable energy. 

It's for this that an Economics and Business Ministry is needed. In the US, the functions I outlined here are performed by the Department of Commerce.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Two more ministries: Justice, and Science and Technology. Eleven now.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 23, 2014 2:55 pm

swapna wrote:It's for this that an Economics and Business Ministry is needed. In the US, the functions I outlined here are performed by the Department of Commerce.
They are performed in India by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.

swapna wrote:Is there any need for ministries other than: finance, home, external affairs, defence, economics and business, energy, health and human services, education, and environmental protection and natural resources? That's nine. That's enough.
This reminds me of Rick Perry's ambition to abolish departments that he could not name. Some other necessary ministries are: labor, justice, transportation, railways (as long they are publicly owned), agriculture and food safety.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri May 23, 2014 3:04 pm

It would be a great leap forward if India could privitise railways. make it into some 10 or more parts and sell it in open auction. several transportation problems would be minimized.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Idéfix wrote:
swapna wrote:It's for this that an Economics and Business Ministry is needed. In the US, the functions I outlined here are performed by the Department of Commerce.

swapna wrote:Is there any need for ministries other than: finance, home, external affairs, defence, economics and business, energy, health and human services, education, and environmental protection and natural resources? That's nine. That's enough.
This reminds me of Rick Perry's ambition to abolish departments that he could not name. Some other necessary ministries are: labor, justice, transportation, railways (as long they are publicly owned), agriculture and food safety.

the same rick perry that's managed to woo jobs and industries away from regulationfornia? all governors should be so stupid.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 23, 2014 3:53 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

the same rick perry that's managed to woo jobs and industries away from regulationfornia? all governors should be so stupid.

An interesting article on that note:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/30/6364955/editorial-californias-leaders.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 23, 2014 4:01 pm

swapna wrote:Two more ministries: Justice, and Science and Technology. Eleven now.
Significant omissions: Agriculture, Transportation (see charvaka's post), and Communication and Information.

Fourteen now.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm

swapna wrote:

this is the crux of the issue, isn't it? he can do no worse than the congress and will probably do a reasonably good job on the governance front, but i hope he has had a change of mind and keeps the RSS a healthy distance away for however long he remains in power.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

this is the crux of the issue, isn't it? he can do no worse than the congress and will probably do a reasonably good job on the governance front, but i hope he has had a change of mind and keeps the RSS a healthy distance away for however long he remains in power.

he played his games, pandered to the 'right' crowd and succeeded in getting to power. i don't think he will do anything obviously silly to sabotage it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

What evidence do you have (other than CON propaganda) that RSS is influencing Modi's work as a CM of Gujrat or as the PM designate?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 23, 2014 7:30 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

he played his games, pandered to the 'right' crowd and succeeded in getting to power. i don't think he will do anything obviously silly to sabotage it.

i hope so. meanwhile i hope a credible opposition of some kind emerges soon. i seriously doubt the congress is going to resurface in politics. dynastic politics and a serious deficit on the intellectual front have ensured that. i don't think the people of india are going to countenance empty and vague promises any more (which is a good thing).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri May 23, 2014 8:18 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

i hope so. meanwhile i hope a credible opposition of some kind emerges soon. i seriously doubt the congress is going to resurface in politics. dynastic politics and a serious deficit on the intellectual front have ensured that. i don't think the people of india are going to countenance empty and vague promises any more (which is a good thing).
>>>What about other side of the coin?

What if Islamic extremists do something like what they did at Godhra in 2002 to create problems for Modi?

V.S. Naipaul said burning of the train car at Godhra was done to provoke a huge reaction.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri May 23, 2014 8:26 pm

swapna wrote:

Tamil Nadu is upset against trhis alleged murderer. See tnews from TN later today. (posted from Indian occupied Tamil Nadu at great personal risk)

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri May 23, 2014 8:37 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

>>>What about other side of the coin?

What if Islamic extremists do something like what they did at Godhra in 2002 to create problems for Modi?

V.S. Naipaul said burning of the train car at Godhra was done to provoke a huge reaction.

>>>I don't know what the intent was behind the Godhra train burning and the media continually glosses over it which affects its credibility. So we don't know whether Naipaul is right or wrong in his speculation. That aside, to answer your question, in the event of Islamic terrorism, Modi will have to throw the book at them both in terms of the law and police work You cannot run a government worth its name if you don't have law and order. More importantly, you cannot have a tit-for-tat downward spiral resulting from this. That will derail any grand economic plans he has.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat May 24, 2014 8:21 am

swapna wrote:
swapna wrote:Two more ministries: Justice, and Science and Technology. Eleven now.
Significant omissions: Agriculture, Transportation (see charvaka's post), and Communication and Information.

Fourteen now.
I would split Energy into  Portions Energy and Non-conventional Energy Sources. There is an inherent contradiction between the two.

First one devotes itself to finding resources based on current viable sources of energy, mostly carbon based.

India which imports 70% of its Oil, needs a ministry that moves at Jet Speed to reduce the reliance on imported Oil. With proven resources quite low, enabling and harnessing latest technologies in Solar/Wind/GeoThermal and Nuclear is very important. It should aim to get 50% of its energy from these sources by say 2025 and have a credible planto achieve those.

Not sure where Biogas will land into.

Here India has to make a system that
a) Keeps tabs on breakthroughs around the world (ITER participation etc..)
b) Unleash creativity within India on Solar power and work with Universities to keep tabs on Emergent Solar technology  that promises higher efficiency. Institute an X-Prize within Inda for example. Spur a Lucrative Patent regime to foster innovation.
c) Hydro Power needs massive upgrades

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down