Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will Harvard admit him?

+5
truthbetold
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

Will Harvard admit him? Empty Will Harvard admit him?

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 am

http://www.ndtv.com/article/blog/all-india-cbse-class-xii-topper-shares-his-success-mantra-534718?pfrom=home-topstories

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Will Harvard admit him? Empty Re: Will Harvard admit him?

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:33 am

rishi -- what MOOC courses have you been taking lately?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rishi -- what MOOC courses have you been taking lately?

Relevance to the subject of the thread?

For your kind (not mean) information, I am not taking any courses right now.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 am

Rishi wrote:

oh sorry. just wanted to take the opportunity to ask you the q. as to the question, not sure why harvard would want to admit him. i think there has been a program for some years of MIT admitting the top ten JEE rankers and offering them a full ride. not sure if harvard has anything equivalent to that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

oh sorry. just wanted to take the opportunity to ask you the q. as to the question, not sure why harvard would want to admit him. i think there has been a program for some years of MIT admitting the top ten JEE rankers and offering them a full ride. not sure if harvard has anything equivalent to that.

>>>For some strange reason, my client manager and my team leader think that I produce good quality work. In fact, my supervisor wrote a letter of commendation ande-mailed it to the my manager at the body shop that placed me with this client. Since I want to maintain the reputation, I simply drop any course that comes in the way of meeting the task deadlines.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.ndtv.com/article/blog/all-india-cbse-class-xii-topper-shares-his-success-mantra-534718?pfrom=home-topstories

Economics? Let us see if he overcomes his family pressure. He should follow Raghuram Rajan, but then he wont get any Nobel.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:20 pm

getting 99.6 in CBSE is not all that big a deal. am sure he is a bright kid and has worked hard but CBSE exams don't really test anything too deep and fundamental.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:40 pm

bw wrote:getting 99.6 in CBSE is not all that big a deal. am sure he is a bright kid and has worked hard but CBSE exams don't really test anything too deep and fundamental.
He is ranked one in India. Why is that not a big deal?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:48 pm

truthbetold wrote:
bw wrote:getting 99.6 in CBSE is not all that big a deal. am sure he is a bright kid and has worked hard but CBSE exams don't really test anything too deep and fundamental.

i don't know about CBSE board exams, but i am familar with the TN board exams. there was a lot of rote learning involved in getting a high score in the TN board exams, and not much by way of solving challenging problems in any subject.  it used to be the case that there was one topper, identified as "the topper". nowadays there are anywhere between twenty to a hundred toppers, which fact alone tells me that the TN state board exams have gotten even more diluted than they were at one time.  in our day topping board exams did not garner much attention, but getting a high rank in the JEE, AIIMS entrance exam, or JIPMER did.  

perhaps someone who attended the CBSE stream can provide some input about relative difficulty of CBSE boards versus any of the numerous competitive exams.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 pm

truthbetold wrote:

all that CBSE board exams test is just the basic stuff. in my days, there were several who scored near 100s in physics, math and chemistry and had a very high average. all that was required was knowing the basic concepts and direct application of them - there weren't any tricky and creative applications required.

as i said, it is commendable that he topped it (though i am surprised no one got a perfect score) but it does not really separate the men from the boys. it is not comparable to getting a top rank in the JEE exam.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

all that CBSE board exams test is just the basic stuff. in my days, there were several who scored near 100s in physics, math and chemistry and had a very high average. all that was required was knowing the basic concepts and direct application of them - there weren't any tricky and creative applications required.

as i said, it is commendable that he topped it (though i am surprised no one got a perfect score) but it does not really separate the men from the boys. it is not comparable to getting a top rank in the JEE exam.

>>>I don't know specifically about CBSE, but the article said something about studying some insane number of hours per day. There is something unhealthy about it. I would discourage my kids if they showed that kind of zeal. Of course, since the number of study hours per day is rather close to zero on that front, I guess this won't be a problem anytime soon.  Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

>>>I don't know specifically about CBSE, but the article said something about studying some insane number of hours per day. There is something unhealthy about it. I would discourage my kids if they showed that kind of zeal. Of course, since the number of study hours per day is rather close to zero on that front, I guess this won't be a problem anytime soon.  Smile

why is being passionate about something bad? musicians spend insane number of hours practising. as long as it is done willingly, it should be ok? i do understand that it is good to be balanced.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

why is being passionate about something bad? musicians spend insane number of hours practising. as long as it is done willingly, it should be ok? i do understand that it is good to be balanced.

i was going to post something similar. there is a definite bias in the current college admissions climate in the US towards students that are more "balanced", whatever that means, and away from single-minded individuals who have a single passion.  i recently attended one of those info seminars about college admissions where i raised this specific q and asked them pointedly if they are willing to forego admitting the next steve jobs, einstein, or duke ellington in favor of a "well rounded" individual. they hemmed and hawed and didn't particularly like my question very much at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

>>>Hey, hey, hey-- us ADHD kids are people too, you know Smile
On a serious note, I thought he was studying multiple subjects for exams rather than concentrating on one activity out of passion. I would say the latter involves losing a sense of time. I have had these moments on math problems and later in programming classes where you just can't let something go till you get it right. My older son does this with music. Anyway, this is not to take away from the young man's accomplishment. It is quite a feat, one that I could have never done (I am only half- joking on this ADD thing)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
TN board exams... not much by way of solving challenging problems in any subject. 
I cannot see how the high-pressure setting of a board's exam might be suitable for testing the ability of a student to solve "challenging problems." If one credits the board with minimal intelligence, that ability is not what its exam is testing.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:58 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
TN board exams... not much by way of solving challenging problems in any subject. 
I cannot see how the high-pressure setting of a board's exam might be suitable for testing the ability of a student to solve "challenging problems." If one credits the board with minimal intelligence, that ability is not what its exam is testing.

the point that i really wanted to make is that they are not even minimally challenging, not even of the kind that tests conceptual understanding. indeed, other than math, the exams don't go beyond rote learning. i have a very poor opinion of the TN state board's curriculum other than english and tamil. i had a traumatic time in classes 11 and 12 exacerbated by my teachers' dislike of students who were preparing for the JEE which colors all my memories of being a student in that board.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Kris wrote:

Reminds me of a kid that I know. The kid did above average in standardized tests when prepared for it insanely, and aced it hands down when never bothered to prepare - simply woke up and went for the test.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

i was going to post something similar. there is a definite bias in the current college admissions climate in the US towards students that are more "balanced", whatever that means, and away from single-minded individuals who have a single passion.  i recently attended one of those info seminars about college admissions where i raised this specific q and asked them pointedly if they are willing to forego admitting the next steve jobs, einstein, or duke ellington in favor of a "well rounded" individual. they hemmed and hawed and didn't particularly like my question very much at all.

i have the same problem with this demand for all-rounders. the IB curriculum emphasises that a lot and of course, the US colleges, i suppose.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:20 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:

i have the same problem with this demand for all-rounders. the IB curriculum emphasises that a lot and of course, the US colleges, i suppose.

>>> I agree this often results in pushing the kid in multiple directions to make the college application impressive. In a way, this is the flip side of pushing kids academically beyond their abilities via years of coaching to get into a coveted program in India, be it an IIT or a Medical school. Neither of these measures allows for a person to come into his or her own naturally. Unfortunately, this is the ground reality of the college application process when your target is the big name schools.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:32 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>> I agree this often results in pushing the kid in multiple directions to make the college application impressive. In a way, this is the flip side of pushing kids academically beyond their abilities via years of coaching to get into a coveted program in India, be it an IIT or a Medical school. Neither of these measures allows for a person to come into his or her own naturally. Unfortunately, this is the ground reality of the college application process when your target is the big name schools.

i get your point about parental pressure but sometimes, a little push is useful in getting the kids going and motivated.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

hello, all.

i've heard that harvard admits many students who are single-minded and passionate about some scholarly pursuit and are excellent at it; they also admit many who are high achievers in extra-curricular activities and very good at academics. harvard's value system seems to be summarized by "outstanding at something academic, or very good at both academic and extracurricular activities, and not anyone who is 'merely' quite competent at any number of activities." why? probably because they can fill their capacity without admitting anyone who is merely competent.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 am

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

i get your point about parental pressure but sometimes, a little push is useful in getting the kids going and motivated.

>>>I agree a complete hands- off attitude does not work either. It's a fine line.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 am

michelle2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:

hello, all.

i've heard that harvard admits many students who are single-minded and passionate about some scholarly pursuit and are excellent at it; they also admit many who are high achievers in extra-curricular activities and very good at academics. harvard's value system seems to be summarized by "outstanding at something academic, or very good at both academic and extracurricular activities, and not anyone who is 'merely' quite competent at any number of activities." why? probably because they can fill their capacity without admitting anyone who is merely competent.

that's what they say michelle, but applying that policy to known successful and unsuccessful applicants to harvard and other ivy leagues from a population of this year's graduating senior class from a certain school we know well, reveals that this is only an approximate guide. some of the admissions make no sense at all and neither do some of the rejections. i think this is an overall policy, but overlaid on top of that is the need to distinguish between applicants from a class of highly ambitious applicants from a school with many high achievers.

anyway best not to get singularly obsessed with ivy leagues.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am

"My success may have been extraordinary, but the path towards it can be summed up in the age-old adage - "Practice makes perfect". I worked immensely hard, studied between 10 to 15 hours a day, with constant guidance from my parents and teachers, and made sure that I learnt from every mistake." (http://www.ndtv.com/article/blog/all-india-cbse-class-xii-topper-shares-his-success-mantra-534718?pfrom=home-topstories)

>>> Yes, he will be admitted by Harvard U. and probably to its Ph.D. program --- he can study 10-15 hrs. a day (with constant supervison from teachers etc.) and score above 99% marks.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

hello, all.

that's what they say michelle, but applying that policy to known successful and unsuccessful applicants to harvard and other ivy leagues from a population of this year's graduating senior class from a certain school we know well, reveals that this is only an approximate guide.  some of the admissions make no sense at all and neither do some of the rejections.  i think this is an overall policy, but overlaid on top of that is the need to distinguish between applicants from a class of highly ambitious applicants from a school with many high achievers.  

anyway best not to get singularly obsessed with ivy leagues.  
one reason why some admissions and rejections among the senior class of a school one knows well don't make sense: the ivy-league and similar universities to which those students applied got to know them better than one does, from all the information that was provided to them, including the students' essays and their teachers' recommendations.

as you know, if one assumes that the probability of a student being admitted to any ivy-like university is 0.1, then the probability of being admitted to at least one of the five such universities a student has applied to is just over 0.4. that's not bad.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:29 am

good point about how the apps were prepared and the comment about probabilities.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down