Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

growing inequality in american higher education

2 posters

Go down

growing inequality in american higher education Empty growing inequality in american higher education

Post by bw Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:53 pm

http://hnn.us/article/155740

bw

Back to top Go down

growing inequality in american higher education Empty Re: growing inequality in american higher education

Post by FluteHolder Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:10 pm

This is an interesting comment:

---
GrafHerman • 7 hours ago
I graduated from the University of Miami [ Florida ] in 1966 . My last year in school the tuition increased by $ 50.00 a semester from $ 450.00 to $ 500.00 ..........total tuition for year was $ 1000.00 . Now it is over $ 39,000.00 a year . That is absolutely obscene . A young relative of mine in Germany [ he just earned his Ph.D in economics ] told me that tuition in Germany is about $ 1700.00 U.S. a year, [ 1250 Euros ] . I assume part of the difference is that they concentrate on educating the students whereas here in the U.S. a good amount of money is spent on the football , baseball , swim teams , stadiums , indoor and outdoor swimming pools , stadiums , student unions , etc. Several years ago the University built a gigantic fitness center when students who are so inclined could join a fitness center in town. .
By the way , a good many of the individuals on sports teams have their tuition , housing , meals paid for out of the tuition of serious students . Worse yet , some of these sports figures are intellectually challenged and yet are paid to attend the University . The average student with the same I.Q. would never be allowed to attend the school. Because of all this waste , is it any wonder that tuition is so high. . Students graduate as indentured servants.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down