Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a few ideas on reducing gun violence

4 posters

Go down

a few ideas on reducing gun violence Empty a few ideas on reducing gun violence

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 pm

since americans are firmly wedded to the second amendment, it's time to look for answers beyond outright bans etc.

a) smart guns
b) stiffer sentences for people who enable gun violence through carelessness
c) taxation and insurance on ownership.
d) yearly gun safety inspections.

i particularly like (c). since gun enthusiasts frequently equate automobile accidents to gun violence, perhaps it is time to borrow a few ideas from car ownership. just like we have a vehicle tax, we should a gun ownership tax. just like we are required to buy auto insurance, we should make gun insurance mandatory at the point of sale. this will help pay victims' families. further, increasing the cost of gun ownership will put a damper on gun sales and have an indirect effect on gun violence. we should also require title on new guns sold which will be required to pass on to the next owner during the sale of a used gun.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a few ideas on reducing gun violence Empty Re: a few ideas on reducing gun violence

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 pm

How about requiring them (buyer) to serve in Afghanistan for 6 months - kind of road test for drivers license.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

a few ideas on reducing gun violence Empty Re: a few ideas on reducing gun violence

Post by truthbetold Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Max

Gun lobby would oppose taxation or insurance. They say they do not want any possibility of identification of gun owners. Their lobby obstructed compilation of any sort of list of gun owners.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 pm

truthbetold wrote:Max

Gun lobby would oppose taxation or insurance. They say they do not want any possibility of identification of gun owners. Their lobby obstructed compilation of any sort of list of gun owners.

i was merely taking the equivalence of automobiles and guns that they (not us their opponents) have proposed to its logical conclusion. let's take their very useful analogy and extend it properly.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Equivalence?
Too much wine, Il Professor-ai?

Driving - privilege.

Bearing arms - 2nd amendment guaranteed right.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Equivalence?

Driving - privilege.

i don't see that distinction alone as a legal barrier to taxation and mandatory insurance. after all there are many rights which we tax citizens to protect.

and the equivalence between automobiles and guns is not something i came up with, but people of a political persuasion similar to yours; propagandhi for example. i am merely pointing out its logical and proper implications.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Driving - privilege.

i don't see that distinction alone as a legal barrier to taxation and mandatory insurance. after all there are many rights which we tax citizens to protect.

and the equivalence between automobiles and guns is not something i came up with, but people of a political persuasion similar to yours; propagandhi for example. i am merely pointing out its logical and proper implications.

Why don't you strongly push for an amendment to repeal or modify the 2nd amendment?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Driving - privilege.

Why don't you strongly push for an amendment to repeal or modify the 2nd amendment?

a vasectomy is easier, less painful and cheaper than outright castration if the goal is to prevent pregnancies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Driving - privilege.

a vasectomy is easier, less painful and cheaper than outright castration if the goal is to prevent pregnancies.

I have a better analogy for you - You're trying to put a bandaid on a bullet hole.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down