Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Himachal River Tragedy - Video

4 posters

Go down

Himachal River Tragedy - Video Empty Himachal River Tragedy - Video

Post by smArtha Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:56 am

http://www.amarujala.com/feature/samachar/national/himachal-pradesh-tragedy-video/?page=1

From this it does seem like there was time to react and paths to walk back to the banks - at least for those on two out of the three rocks. It is not clear why those guys still hung on those rocks while the water was slowly rising?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Himachal River Tragedy - Video Empty Re: Himachal River Tragedy - Video

Post by bw Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 am

horrific - who the heck was recording the whole thing like it was some entertainment show. quite disturbing.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:10 am

bw wrote:horrific -  who the heck was recording the whole thing like it was some entertainment show. quite disturbing.

Apparently this person is located farther and had to record on zoom as is evident from the footage itself. Footages like this are extremely useful to identify what went wrong and how both authorities and people can act in any similar situations. If you see another video the Patalpani Incident at Indore, when a family got swept away due to similar sudden rise of waters and the mistakes look similar. In both cases people could have continued to walk back slowly and steadily to safety till the water is neck deep. But in both cases they instead choose to stay standing atop the rocks (not even hugging the rocks tight in a group) and that is a bad choice even to maintain balance and withstand the force of water. In the Himachal video it is very clear that those on the nearest two rocks could have walked back to safety in the given time if they made wiser choices upon seeing water coming down. There were many paths there to walk back and not just the big rocks they stood on. I think responsible Media, if any, should show both these videos for next few days and analyze/discuss what options did people on each of those rocks had to safety and how they could have acted on it. It'll educate and help others when faced with similar situations. 

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I read somewhere that one girl almost made it when she lost her shoe (or chappal) in the flow, and she took 2 or 3 steps back into the river to retrieve it, and was swept away.
The force of water in a stream is deceivingly dangerous. And the Beas is no stream, it's a major river. 
I've seen a bus being almost swept away by a simple mountain river (stream) that crossed a road near the Andhra-Orissa border. The rains in the mountains made the stream swollen and the increase in the speed and volume of the flow was so sudden and completely unexpected, unless you've seen something like that before.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:24 pm

indophile wrote:I read somewhere that one girl almost made it when she lost her shoe (or chappal) in the flow, and she took 2 or 3 steps back into the river to retrieve it, and was swept away.
The force of water in a stream is deceivingly dangerous. And the Beas is no stream, it's a major river. 
I've seen a bus being almost swept away by a simple mountain river (stream) that crossed a road near the Andhra-Orissa border. The rains in the mountains made the stream swollen and the increase in the speed and volume of the flow was so sudden and completely unexpected, unless you've seen something like that before.

I had this dream several times - I am swimming in a calm, serene pool of water in a lake/river and suddenly it becomes a raging flow, sweeping away everything in it's path. Maybe it is my fear of the force of water in rivers/ocean that makes me have this dream every once in a while.
Anyone else had this dream?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down