Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock market ka-boom!

+3
charvaka
Another Brick
harharmahadev
7 posters

Go down

Stock market ka-boom! Empty Stock market ka-boom!

Post by harharmahadev Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

S&P down 42 points as we speak!

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Stock market ka-boom! Empty Re: Stock market ka-boom!

Post by Another Brick Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:19 am

oh by god! lag gayee
market gir gaya
mera portttttttfolio
pura red huwa

bhag dk bose....

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:24 am

I exited the market more than a week ago and moved to gold, but today hurt me a little too. I guess the Europe turmoil is not too kind to gold.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 am

i was going to pull out two days ago, but expected a pullback rally and waited. and now the market is down by around 400 points. am going to buy gold now. or maybe FDs wonly.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:34 am

Aiyyo Vinodini, Confucius say great fortune awaits those who buy* when HarHarM panics.

*into Indian equities
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 am

Asian markets down by 4% including Indian markets.

It will be another big bear day tomorrow. Unemployment report due tomorrow...

GOOOOOOOOOOD Luck.

(I bought some swiss currency, gold, and silver during the last 2 days - not much but just a little. This is my first foray into these). India will get its shock when both the Euro and US markets weaken for the next 2 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:56 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Asian markets down by 4% including Indian markets.

GOOOOOOOOOOD Luck.

(I bought some swiss currency, gold, and silver during the last 2 days - not much but just a little. This is my first foray into these). India will get its shock when both the Euro and US markets weaken for the next 2 years.
I was thinking of CHF, but didn't get around to buying. Was busy all day today, and by the time I had some time, it was too late. Did you buy an ETF that tracks CHF, or did you trade in some sort of currency market?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:India will get its shock when both the Euro and US markets weaken for the next 2 years.

Unkil, your ill-wishes for India, in line with your earlier desire to bomb the Indian leadership, are the mark of a true chaddi terrorist. Forever hoping for (and working towards) something bad for India just so you can feel good about your decision to jump ships.

Yes, there will be immediate shocks in the stock market when traders react emotionally (somewhat like our HarHarjee) but with oil coming down and bringing down inflation, interest rates more or less capped and likely on their way down with inflation, policy-making taking off once again, the Indian economy has everything going for it. And there's always the precedent of 2009 - Europe and US fell off the cliff; despite a steep fall in exports, Indian GDP grew 7% .

So while you're huddled in your freezing Kansas basement, wishing ill for India and praying for capital preservation, India has some sunny days ahead, thank you.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Yes, there will be immediate shocks in the stock market when traders react emotionally (somewhat like our HarHarjee) but with oil coming down and bringing down inflation, interest rates more or less capped and likely on their way down with inflation, policy-making taking off once again, the Indian economy has everything going for it. And there's always the precedent of 2009 - Europe and US fell off the cliff; despite a steep fall in exports, Indian GDP grew 7% .
I share your long-range optimism for India (and Indian equities are the only ones I own at this point and I have no plans to exit), but Rao garu gave me a scare today. Given the upcoming UP elections, I won't be surprised if the government decides to put the brakes on growth to keep the price of onions in an acceptable range. And it never feels good when the central bank seems to be unable to rein in inflation after repeated rate hikes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-04/subbarao-says-india-inflation-is-far-above-the-threshold-level-.html
http://www.financialexpress.com/news/RBI-fails-on-inflation-with-swaps-near-3-year-high/827474/
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Aiyyo Vinodini, Confucius say great fortune awaits those who buy* when HarHarM panics.

*into Indian equities

haha, that's true. but this time i don't have a very good feeling about what's happening. then again, i am one of those people who immediately term their short-term-investments-gone-horribly-wrong as long term investments. i think it will take me some time to gain anything out of my investments. i will perhaps average them out on their way down hoping for some gains in 2-3 years.

btw, is it any surprise that last week i bought 5700 CE for AUG expiry at 60 (hoping a pullback rally, goddamn it) and it is now 5ish. never ever, i mean not even once have i made a single paisa on options. yet i keep going back to them from time to time. FML.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:25 am

Another Brick wrote: am going to buy gold now. or maybe FDs wonly.

how do you invest in gold? what instruments?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:29 am

i have not so far. but next week, i am either going to buy it from Laxmi Road sarafs or from icici bank or ETFs on the exchange. i am more inclined towards laxmi road.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:47 am

charvaka wrote:And it never feels good when the central bank seems to be unable to rein in inflation after repeated rate hikes.

The RBI itself concedes that the food inflation is because of structural reasons (greater global demand, changed local consumption patterns, supply chain inefficiencies) and monetary policy is a most ill-suited instrument to rein it in. Rao-gaaru specifically admonished the Govt for doing nothing on that front, making it look like interest rate hikes are a silver bullet to the inflation problem.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:07 am

charvaka wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Asian markets down by 4% including Indian markets.

GOOOOOOOOOOD Luck.

I was thinking of CHF, but didn't get around to buying. Was busy all day today, and by the time I had some time, it was too late. Did you buy an ETF that tracks CHF, or did you trade in some sort of currency market?

I knew the swiss franc was going to rise and rise. I decided to 'play' the trade with SWZ (see my stock recos) rather than FXF. It was a bad call. The Swiss Franc did rise dramatically, but the stock market fell even harder, and in the end, SWZ has tanked quite a bit. So basically, the lesson here is that getting the trend right is only half the battle. The other half is picking the right asset to capitalize on the trend.

But I do think that a short-term bounce in SWZ is overdue. For folks sitting on the sidelines, I think SWZ offers a compelling trade.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tapori Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Another Brick wrote:oh by god! lag gayee
market gir gaya
mera portttttttfolio
pura red huwa

bhag dk bose....

apun ke portfolio ki to ma behn ho gai

tapori

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 pm

I've got buy orders in for a few stocks at their 200dma hoping to pickup them up cheap in non retirement account. and have had about 90% of wife's 401k in cash for a while so can put a good amount to work if there's crazy fucking panic in the streets. will wait for the proper indicators before pulling the trigger tho: uppili starts telling tales of eating breadslices with sugar/salsa and crowing about wallstreet crooks & second D word etc etc.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down