Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Private High Schools

4 posters

Go down

Top Private High Schools Empty Top Private High Schools

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

Is $40 grand per year tuition really worth it? Are the kids in private schools more focused and disciplined? I see these fights among the parents (of Sidwell, Georgetown Day School, St. Albans etc.,) as to which school is better based on the number of kids got admissions in Ivy leagues.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Top Private High Schools Empty Re: Top Private High Schools

Post by Kris Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:13 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Is $40 grand per year tuition really worth it? Are the kids in private schools more focused and disciplined? I see these fights among the parents (of Sidwell, Georgetown Day School, St. Albans etc.,) as to which school is better based on the number of kids got admissions in Ivy leagues.
>>>Not in my book, but that is just the beginning. These kids are expected to get into a select group of colleges. In fairness, I must say that there seems to be a higher percentage of them that do get into those colleges, but the difference narrows quite a bit when it comes to highly ranked public schools ( I mean of the American variety, no of the English kind). Personally, overall I find private schools too structured and too intense. Honestly I don't think it is worth it for that reason and that's in addition to the money you shell out.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Is $40 grand per year tuition really worth it? Are the kids in private schools more focused and disciplined? I see these fights among the parents (of Sidwell, Georgetown Day School, St. Albans etc.,) as to which school is better based on the number of kids got admissions in Ivy leagues.
>>>Not in my book, but that is just the beginning. These kids are expected to get into a select group of colleges. In fairness, I must say that there seems to be a higher percentage of them that do get into those colleges, but the difference narrows quite a bit when it comes to highly ranked public schools ( I mean of the American variety, no of the English kind). Personally, overall I find private schools too structured and too intense. Honestly I don't think it is worth it for that reason and that's in addition to the money you shell out.
My neighborhood school has reputation for full of spoiled kids driving bimmers and doing drugs, was wondering how different these kids attending the private schools would be, obviously they come from affluent families too.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:03 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:
My neighborhood school has reputation for full of spoiled kids driving bimmers and doing drugs, was wondering how different these kids attending the private schools would be, obviously they come from affluent families too.

>>>I think it is just a question of degree, but if the private schools are loading them up with activity, maybe they have less time. I find that to be a sad workaround, but that just may be the reality of it. One of the things I am noticing in our neck of the woods is the incentivizing of public school principals. The local public school where my kids went/ go to has climbed the ranks rapidly, although quite a bit of it is due to the influx of Asian/indian students moving into the district. I still find the STEM education weak. Maybe the private schools do a better job on that front. I am just guessing on this.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:16 pm

The really well-to-do and super rich people want to get their kids in the best "environment" (devoid of Kallus, poor, and other unwanted criminal kids) and establish best "friends" (connections). These are basically Ivy High Schools. Naturally, many go to Ivy Leagues, and even more get into Ivy on Legacy seats (they get 20 points since many of their parents would have gone) and 20 points for reference and Essays (which will be full of how they would build this/build that/serve society and help lead the country - kind of BS).

So the "casteism" is just alive and well in US as in US and Russia and the rest of the world. In India, this is just a "super caste".

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

The really well-to-do and super rich people want to get their kids in the best "environment" (devoid of Kallus, poor, and other unwanted criminal kids) and establish best "friends" (connections). These are basically Ivy High Schools. Naturally, many go to Ivy Leagues, and even more get into Ivy on Legacy seats (they get 20 points since many of their parents would have gone) and 20 points for reference and Essays (which will be full of how they would build this/build that/serve society and help lead the country - kind of BS).

So the "casteism" is just alive and well in US as in US and Russia and the rest of the world.  In India, this is just a "super caste".
>>>I bet some of the fellows who went bananas over my use of the word Kallu will be the first one to send their kids to these schools so they can avoid their kids making friends with kallus.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:20 pm

>>>Btw I know an ABCD kid of  a Malayalee doctor couple who went to St. Albans. An arrogant asshole. His parents wanted him to become a doctor. But this kid was neither smart nor hard working. He majored in business at GWU  which is another expensive school. For every subject, he had a private tutor.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Rishi wrote:>>>Btw I know an ABCD kid of  a Malayalee doctor couple who went to St. Albans. An arrogant asshole. His parents wanted him to become a doctor. But this kid was neither smart nor hard working. He majored in business at GWU  which is another expensive school. For every subject, he had a private tutor.

ppl in medical profession - most - are dumbass. Most desi MBBS (except our Thamizhachi) know very little about anything having gone to med school from high school n growing horns from Day 1. their simple strategy...throw money n you must be getting quality products - even education or blindly follow what the other (dumbass) desi doctors do.

i saw one such pair just 1 hour ago.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Rishi wrote:>>>Btw I know an ABCD kid of  a Malayalee doctor couple who went to St. Albans. An arrogant asshole. His parents wanted him to become a doctor. But this kid was neither smart nor hard working. He majored in business at GWU  which is another expensive school. For every subject, he had a private tutor.

ppl in medical profession - most - are dumbass. Most desi MBBS (except our Thamizhachi) know very little about anything  having gone to med school from high school n growing horns from Day 1. their simple strategy...throw money n you must be getting quality products - even education or blindly follow what the other (dumbass) desi doctors do.

Did he refuse to heed your advice on buying a beat-up 1985 Honda Civic and instead rewarded himself with a brand new 7 series bimmer.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

ppl in medical profession - most - are dumbass. Most desi MBBS (except our Thamizhachi) know very little about anything  having gone to med school from high school n growing horns from Day 1. their simple strategy...throw money n you must be getting quality products - even education or blindly follow what the other (dumbass) desi doctors do.

Did he refuse to heed your advice on buying a beat-up 1985 Honda Civic and instead rewarded himself with a brand new 7 series bimmer.[/quote]

Don't know if he drove a Bimmer. But, they were the ones whining like a couple of bummers...Razz

BTW, I am not your usual desi to get jealous of bimmers and bungalows....they don't impress me.....and of course...you will never guess what impresses me.....(though someone once stated it correctly much to my shock).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Did he refuse to heed your advice on buying a beat-up 1985 Honda Civic and instead rewarded himself with a brand new 7 series bimmer.

Don't know if he drove a Bimmer. But, they were the ones whining like a couple of bummers...Razz

BTW, I am not your usual desi to get jealous of bimmers and bungalows....they don't impress me.....and of course...you will never guess what impresses me.....(though someone once stated it correctly much to my shock).
Jealousy, no no.. we're talking about hurting I-know-it-all's ego  Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:34 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Jealousy, no no.. we're talking about hurting I-know-it-all's ego  Razz

Hahaha...what is there to get hurt when "I know it all?"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:32 am

Rishi wrote:

So the "casteism" is just alive and well in US as in US and Russia and the rest of the world.  In India, this is just a "super caste".
>>>I bet some of the fellows who went bananas over my use of the word Kallu will be the first one to send their kids to these schools so they can avoid their kids making friends with kallus.

>>>Highly unlikely since they are not the ones wearing the race-tinted glasses.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down