Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Origin of the name "Rayalaseema"

4 posters

Go down

Origin of the name "Rayalaseema" Empty Origin of the name "Rayalaseema"

Post by indophile Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

The are is being called Rayalaseema only since 1928. Prior to that it was called "Ceded Districts," (Cuddapah, Kurnool, Ananthpur, Chittoor, Bellary), because the area was ceded by the Hyderabad Nizam to the British as part of an agreement. Interestingly the famed Bamganapally mangoes are native to this area (go suck on your Nuziveedu rasaalu! Krishna folks). 

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/how-rayalaseema-was-born/article5955390.ece

indophile

Back to top Go down

Origin of the name "Rayalaseema" Empty Re: Origin of the name "Rayalaseema"

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:07 pm

indophile wrote:The are is being called Rayalaseema only since 1928. Prior to that it was called "Ceded Districts," (Cuddapah, Kurnool, Ananthpur, Chittoor, Bellary), because the area was ceded by the Hyderabad Nizam to the British as part of an agreement. Interestingly the famed Bamganapally mangoes are native to this area (go suck on your Nuziveedu rasaalu! Krishna folks). 

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-andhrapradesh/how-rayalaseema-was-born/article5955390.ece

Movie distribution still goes by nizam, ceded names, doesn't it?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Those mangoes may be from R-seema but it is in Vijayawada (Kaleswararao market) that you see a sea of them during the season. I don't know if you ever saw the mango market in Vijayawada - it is an amazing site.

There is no question that Vijayawada is the commercial capital of AP. Some years ago, I wanted to buy a panchalOha panchapatra. I could only buy it in Vijayawada 1 shopping area. You can also buy good quality kanchu saamagri there. Unless you go to a small village near Tenali, these days, you can't find them anywhere. In Hyderabad, they will ask you what is a panchapaatra in Hyderabadi bhaasha.

Re: Rayalaseema - Nizam sold coastal Andhra for a tidy sum to the British and Rayalaseema for protection of Hyderabad by the British garrison. In a way, it was good that the blood sucker lost control of the two regions. Unfortunately, these days, even educated politicians don't realize that people of all three regions are Andhras, not just the coastal people.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:26 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
indophile wrote:The are is being called Rayalaseema only since 1928. Prior to that it was called "Ceded Districts," (Cuddapah, Kurnool, Ananthpur, Chittoor, Bellary), because the area was ceded by the Hyderabad Nizam to the British as part of an agreement. Interestingly the famed Bamganapally mangoes are native to this area (go suck on your Nuziveedu rasaalu! Krishna folks). 

Movie distribution still goes by nizam, ceded names, doesn't it?

Yes, that is correct. Years ago a friend of mine whose uncle was a movie distributor explained to me what that "ceded" meant

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down