Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga

3 posters

Go down

This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga Empty This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 pm

The movie in question is "English Vinglish", a trailer of which effortlessly made its way to my computer screen on August 14th. In it, Sridevi goes to a US Consulate in India seeking a visa and tells an American officer, “My English…weak”. The officer asks her “Ma’am, how will you manage in our country without knowing English?” Before Sridevi can answer, an Indian officer standing next to the American officer pats him on his shoulder and tells him matter-of-fact-ly: "Like you’re managing in our country without knowing Hindi".

Now, if that does not offend you, you have been programmed to consider Hindi hegemony as patriotism, as millions are continuing to be programmed formally in India’s schools and informally by Bollywood. The reason why the above dialogue is offensive is, English in the US is not the same as Hindi in India.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga Empty Re: This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Kv
Isn't "English vinglish" a Hollywood hindi movie?
why are you watching the trailers of Hindi movies? Traitor? Are you giving upon your crusade as a lost cause?

Consider that you are taking about a scene in a Hindi movie your commentary lacks common sense.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga Empty Re: This Hindi movie insults non-Hindians says this Kannadiga

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:26 pm

i did not watch the hindi trailor. read the title of the post. Do you get a clue?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:The movie in question is "English Vinglish", a trailer of which effortlessly made its way to my computer screen on August 14th. In it, Sridevi goes to a US Consulate in India seeking a visa and tells an American officer, “My English…weak”. The officer asks her “Ma’am, how will you manage in our country without knowing English?” Before Sridevi can answer, an Indian officer standing next to the American officer pats him on his shoulder and tells him matter-of-fact-ly: "Like you’re managing in our country without knowing Hindi".

Now, if that does not offend you, you have been programmed to consider Hindi hegemony as patriotism, as millions are continuing to be programmed formally in India’s schools and informally by Bollywood. The reason why the above dialogue is offensive is, English in the US is not the same as Hindi in India.
>>>The Indian Officer exhibits the same vision as you as to what constitutes a nation i.e.only people who speak  your language.  The further weirdness is both of you opine in a "foreign" language that pays your bills, with no sense of irony.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down