Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

king james is going home

5 posters

Go down

king james is going home Empty king james is going home

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/12/sports/basketball/lebron-james-to-return-to-cleveland-cavaliers-leaving-miami-heat.html?_r=0
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

king james is going home Empty Re: king james is going home

Post by nevada Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:11 pm

He is alright, a good player but not deserving of the "King" title. The one and only King that I have seen play is Michael Jordan.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 pm

nevada wrote:He is alright, a good player but not deserving of the "King" title. The one and only King that I have seen play is Michael Jordan.
Speaking of Jordan ,
http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no11jordanclutch.html

This is why I cringe whenever I read/hear about our cricket god. He's always MIA in the clutch moment.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:14 pm

b_A wrote:
nevada wrote:He is alright, a good player but not deserving of the "King" title. The one and only King that I have seen play is Michael Jordan.
Speaking of Jordan ,
http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no11jordanclutch.html

This is why I cringe whenever I read/hear about our cricket god. He's always MIA in the clutch moment.

Jordon, Bird, Montana, Elway, Magic are all Gods and took charge during clutch moments and delivered.

Our Cricket God is more like Lord Indira - King of Gods but not much else except the Thunder.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Absolutely:)

LeBron is more like a Prince or Nawab of Cleveland!  He has a great physique, is a great multitalented- dominating basketball player..but, there is only "King" with such majesty and elegance..totally mesmerizing on court! 

Good for him! "Going Home"..sounds good. The hometown man is still quite young, he will be embraced quickly, he will draw huge crowds..and when there are a few big wins, it will be seen as the second coming in all its glory!

For us who spent almost a lifetime away from home..whether we are celebrities or not..it's different..it is still "home"..but, home has changed so much..we have changed so much..the heart seems to be in different places.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:42 pm

To be fair, cricket is unlike basketball where all the 5 players are on the field all the time. So Bird, Jordan, etc have the opportunity to take that last shot or make that unbelievable block in the closing moments of the game. In cricket once a batsman is out he is out of the picture. Having score a 150 and got out, he cannot come back again and score the remaining 15-20 runs. He can only watch as the rest of the batsmen choke away and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

That being said, Tendulkar IMO is a boy wonder who never grew up mentally to be a man in terms of being able to absorb the pressure and deliver when the odds are stacked against him. His talent was enough for him to score heavily and be in the zone regardless of match situation, but he did lack that clutchness factor especially in test matches.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 pm

nevada wrote:To be fair, cricket is unlike basketball where all the 5 players are on the field all the time. So Bird, Jordan, etc have the opportunity to take that last shot or make that unbelievable block in the closing moments of the game. In cricket once a batsman is out he is out of the picture. Having score a 150 and got out, he cannot come back again and score the remaining 15-20 runs. He can only watch as the rest of the batsmen choke away and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

That being said, Tendulkar IMO is a boy wonder who never grew up mentally to be a man in terms of being able to absorb the pressure and deliver when the odds are stacked against him. His talent was enough for him to score heavily and be in the zone regardless of match situation, but he did lack that clutchness factor especially in test matches.

There were very few instances of him scoring 150 and the team not making the remaining 15-20 runs. In fact , I can't recall any such instance in recent post-azhar period.
His biggest clutch moment was in 2003 WC finals.
One of the best example of clutch in cricket is miandad's last ball sixer. And he is not considered "the god".

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 pm

b_A wrote:
nevada wrote:To be fair, cricket is unlike basketball where all the 5 players are on the field all the time. So Bird, Jordan, etc have the opportunity to take that last shot or make that unbelievable block in the closing moments of the game. In cricket once a batsman is out he is out of the picture. Having score a 150 and got out, he cannot come back again and score the remaining 15-20 runs. He can only watch as the rest of the batsmen choke away and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 

There were very few instances of him scoring 150 and the team not making the remaining 15-20 runs. In fact , I can't recall any such instance in recent post-azhar period.
His biggest clutch moment was in 2003 WC finals.
One of the best example of clutch in cricket is miandad's last ball sixer. And he is not considered "the god".

The Chennai test of 1999 is one such instance. And there are several ODIs where he played well and got out, then the rest of the team folded. In that WC game in 2003, after he got out and Dravid and Yuvi played well to build a huge partnership that got the team over the finish line. If they and the rest of the team had folded yet again, would that mean that he "choked" in that game? All I am saying is that cricket and basketball are different games in terms of opportunity to excel in clutch moments.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down