Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On learning Tamil

+4
swapna
Seva Lamberdar
michelle2
Propagandhi711
8 posters

Go down

On learning Tamil Empty On learning Tamil

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:05 am

it turns out that the local Tamil Sangam is conducting introductory Tamil classes every Saturday not far from where i live. I am planning to attend some of these classes and see how it goes. At the very least it should help me communicate with locals when i am anywhere in Tamil Nadu and also (to a lesser extent) anywhere in the other three Tamil states.
All along i have been accused of not learning a south indian language while encouraging south indians to learn hindi. Hopefully nobody on this forum will make this accusation against me in future.

Back to top Go down

On learning Tamil Empty Re: On learning Tamil

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:07 am

Rashmun wrote:it turns out that the local Tamil Sangam is conducting introductory Tamil classes every Saturday not far from where i live. I am planning to attend some of these classes and see how it goes. At the very least it should help me communicate with locals when i am anywhere in Tamil Nadu and also (to a lesser extent) anywhere in the other three Tamil states.
All along i have been accused of not learning a south indian language while encouraging south indians to learn hindi. Hopefully nobody on this forum will make this accusation against me in future.

other three tamil states as in karnataka, andhra & kerala?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it turns out that the local Tamil Sangam is conducting introductory Tamil classes every Saturday not far from where i live. I am planning to attend some of these classes and see how it goes. At the very least it should help me communicate with locals when i am anywhere in Tamil Nadu and also (to a lesser extent) anywhere in the other three Tamil states.

sorry that should have been south indian states instead of tamil states. just a typo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:10 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

sorry that should have been south indian states instead of tamil states. just a typo.

yeah speaking tamil with a bimaru accent will get you far in andhra, karnataka and kerala

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

yeah speaking tamil with a bimaru accent will get you far in andhra, karnataka and kerala

i may also try learning some telugu once i pick up some tamil. i must say i find telugu a very sweet language (pleasing to the ear). by the way, when will you start learning hindi?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

i may also try learning some telugu once i pick up some tamil. i must say i find telugu a very sweet language (pleasing to the ear). by the way, when will you start learning hindi?

stick to tamil.

why do I need to learn hindi? I dont plan on working as a laborer in meerut

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:27 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

stick to tamil.

knowing some hindi would be invaluable when you eventually visit north india (anywhere in north india) for sightseeing/holiday or business.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:28 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

perhaps you didn't read or comprehend this: "At the very least it should help me communicate with locals when i am anywhere in Tamil Nadu and also (to lesser extent) anywhere in the other three Tamil south indian states." -- rashmun.

please get back to work now.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 am

michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

perhaps you didn't read or comprehend this: "At the very least it should help me communicate with locals when i am anywhere in Tamil Nadu and also (to lesser extent) anywhere in the other three Tamil south indian states." -- rashmun.

a 70 yr old lonely old senile fart giving lessons on comprehension. go back to sleep

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

stick to tamil.

knowing some hindi would be invaluable when you eventually visit north india (anywhere in north india) for sightseeing/holiday or business.  

I dont plan on doing either

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

stick to tamil.

propa711, rashmun gives you good advice. you should appreciate his good-natured, avuncular replies to your posts. btw, did you get some on 7/11, your birthday? regardless, happy birthday!

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 am

michelle2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

stick to tamil.

propa711, rashmun gives you good advice. you should appreciate his good-natured, avuncular replies to your posts. btw, did you get some on 7/11, your birthday? regardless, happy birthday!

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

a 70 yr old lonely old senile fart giving lessons on comprehension. go back to sleep
please check with miss uma of your english-medium school of guNTur whether "senile" needs to be qualified with "old." you may need a lesson on more than comprehension.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 am

michelle2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

stick to tamil.

you should stick to eating soft foods. also start taking medication for dementia

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 am

michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

please check with miss uma of your english-medium school of guNTur whether "senile" needs to be qualified with "old." you may need a lesson on more than comprehension.

hey were you planning to send mallika to do some song and dance numbers in bollywood movies when you enrolled her in hindi classes and bollywood dance classes? also since your bumrelationship with douchemun has begun you've toned down the rhetoric on northindians and their sickly yellow dal eating habits, instead focussing on the ingratiators and turncoat iyers. what gives?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

stick to tamil.

you should stick to eating soft foods. also start taking medication for dementia
did you get some on your birthday? or did you merely look at pictures? i heard someone say, holding his crotch, "korean girls can be hotttttttt!"

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 am

happy birthday, propa!

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

hey were you planning to send mallika to do some song and dance numbers in bollywood movies when you enrolled her in hindi classes and bollywood dance classes? also since your bumrelationship with douchemun has begun you've toned down the rhetoric on northindians and their sickly yellow dal eating habits, instead focussing on the ingratiators and turncoat iyers. what gives?
i'm awfully sorry that i upset you. i can't discuss bollywood movies with you, for i didn't watch moving pictures of northindian human waste for three hours at a stretch, and neither did my children; i'm not telugu.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 am

michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

i'm awfully sorry that i upset you. i can't discuss bollywood movies with you, for i didn't watch moving pictures of northindian human waste for three hours at a stretch, and neither did my children; i'm not telugu.

what are you?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:24 am

lol seva. see this is exactly the kind of ignorance that gets us NIs in trouble with non NIs on this board.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:26 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:lol seva. see this is exactly the kind of ignorance that gets us NIs in trouble with non NIs on this board.

why Tracy?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:lol seva. see this is exactly the kind of ignorance that gets us NIs in trouble with non NIs on this board.

why Tracy?

your q made me think you didn't know FF's ethnicity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:30 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

why Tracy?

FF was not clear about his own ethnicity  ... sometimes he claimed to be a Tamil and at other times a Malayali.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:36 am

michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

yes you upset me and I had to resort to looking at mallika's abnormally large lungs to calm myself down. and dont act coy, we dont need to discuss bollywood movies, we just need to clarify why mallika was learning hindi and bollywood dances when she was young. was she being prepared for a career in northindian moving pictures as a southindian dancing siren?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

why Tracy?

FF was not clear about his own ethnicity  ... sometimes he claimed to be a Tamil and at other times a Malayali.
Seva, my parents are natives of kerala. I was born in kerala, but grew up in TN because my parents had settled there. I spoke fluent malayaLam at home and fluent tamil outside. I never studied malayaLam at school, but studied Tamil and its literature at school and college for twelve years.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 am

swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

why Tracy?

Seva, my parents are natives of kerala. I was born in kerala, but grew up in TN because my parents had settled there. I spoke fluent malayaLam at home and fluent tamil outside. I never studied malayaLam at school, but studied Tamil and its literature at school and college for twelve years.

since the split off of malayaLam from tamil happened very late in the game (sixteenth and seventeenth centuries), a lot of what is today considered part of the tamil literary corpus is also part of the malayaLam literary corpus. so you also studied malayaLam literature.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:40 am

actually the split off happened in the 9th and 10th centuries probably and not later as i wrote in the earlier post, but until the sixteenth and seventeenth century the languages were probably mutually intelligible.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:53 am

Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Just because you plan to take some baby steps after 43 years , you expect everyone else to follow you pronto ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:13 pm

it's good you are doing this, but your recommendation to southern indians to learn hindi may not be taken very seriously.

a better recommendation would be to learn sanskrit. it is better to study sanskrit than what is essentialy its creole.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

why Tracy?

since the split off of malayaLam from tamil happened very late in the game (sixteenth and seventeenth centuries), a lot of what is today considered part of the tamil literary corpus is also part of the malayaLam literary corpus. so you also studied malayaLam literature.

which one is the spin off?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

which one is the spin off?

On learning Tamil Main-qimg-5b93761624d563aed86db975a2617927?convert_to_webp=true
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Besides going to the classes, I suggest you watch Tamil movies. You can learn a few things by just observing people.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's good you are doing this, but your recommendation to southern indians to learn hindi may not be taken very seriously.

a better recommendation would be to learn sanskrit. it is better to study sanskrit than what is essentialy its creole.
I would recommend that literate northindians and telugus spend their time encouraging and helping others to become literate in their own native languages.

To Mr & Ms Telugu: don't let the northindian brainwash you into believing that you're not loyal to India merely because you don't know hindi. It's much more important, and easier to become literate in Telugu.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:45 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's good you are doing this, but your recommendation to southern indians to learn hindi may not be taken very seriously.

I would recommend that literate northindians and telugus spend their time encouraging and helping others to become literate in their own native languages.

To Mr & Ms Telugu: don't let the northindian brainwash you into believing that you're not loyal to India merely because you don't know hindi. It's much more important, and easier to become literate in Telugu.

splendid suggestion! and one that has been made to rashmun by many of us repeatedly.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:02 pm

yay!  yet another language thread in the making that will cover

- telugu ingratiation
- tamilians' bloody war of independence against hindi imposition
- velu, the auto driver in kothavaalchavadi who yearns to learn hindi.
- subramani, the little puppy who binges on thayir sadam but responds only to hindi commands
- illiterate north indians who don't know that sambar is the side dish for idli and not the other way around.
- shameless south indians who name their kids akhil, vineet etc.

yada, yada, yada.

can't wait to read it all!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

swapna wrote:

+1. Lot of native Hindi speakers live in Hyderabad because software companies prefer to hire people with a northindian name rather than pick locals for jobs. The least these naarthies can do is learn Telugu to make life easier for themselves and others.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

bw wrote:yay!  yet another language thread in the making that will cover

- telugu ingratiation
- tamilians' bloody war of independence against hindi imposition
- velu, the auto driver in kothavaalchavadi who yearns to learn hindi.
- subramani, the little puppy who binges on thayir sadam but responds only to hindi commands
- illiterate north indians who don't know that sambar is the side dish for idli and not the other way around.
- shameless south indians who name their kids akhil, vineet etc.

yada, yada, yada.

can't wait to read it all!
Ignorant northindians call it Sambhar, not sambar.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

splendid suggestion! and one that has been made to rashmun by many of us repeatedly.

if a person is a dunce or of low intellectual level he should stick to his own native language. If a person is intelligent and curious and wishes to broaden his mindset and learn about other cultures than he should be multilingual. A  good example of Indians who are multilingual are kannadigas many if not most of who speak various languages including their native language, other south indian languages (with the exception of malayalam in most cases--they say malayalam is a very difficult language), hindi, and to some extent english.

The multilingual Kannadiga is my model Indian as far as knowing different languages is concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
swapna wrote:

if a person is a dunce or of low intellectual level he should stick to his own native language. If a person is intelligent and curious and wishes to broaden his mindset and learn about other cultures than he should be multilingual. A  good example of Indians who are multilingual are kannadigas many if not most of who speak various languages including their native language, other south indian languages (with the exception of malayalam in most cases--they say malayalam is a very difficult language), hindi, and to some extent english.

The multilingual Kannadiga is my model Indian as far as knowing different languages is concerned.

BANGALORE ~ For the just-concluded Assembly elections in Karnataka, the state saw a steady inflow of ‘outsiders’ in the form of central ministers, chief ministers, former ministers, former chief ministers, regional satraps, opposition leaders and so on. But how did these politicians campaign in a southern state without knowing the local language? They just spoke in whatever language they were comfortable in—Hindi, Telugu, Marathi and English—and curiously it made little difference.
“People in Karnataka are generally multilingual. In any case, as all they talk is politics, usually abusing other parties, their outbursts and pleas are easy to follow,’’ says Sridhar Achar, an organiser for a major party. National politicians also use a clever trick. They start off with one or two words in Kannada and then apologise for not knowing ‘Kannad’. They then switch to either English or Hindi, which “you all understand very well!”

For many elections now, large crowds have been congregating at Basavanagudi National College grounds in Bangalore to listen to the shudh Hindi of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Murli Manohar Joshi, Rajnath Singh, Uma Bharati and others of the saffron group. Actor Chiranjeevi, currently a Union minister who has been touring districts bordering Andhra Pradesh for the Congress, likes to rouse audiences with Telugu dialogues delivered in filmy style. BJP member Venkaiah Naidu also speaks in Telugu. Narendra Modi’s not-so-shudh Hindi was also well received. The mother-son duo of Sonia and Rahul Gandhi spoke in Hindi in rural areas and English in urban.

http://www.openthemagazine.com/shorts/smallworld/2013-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Rashmun wrote:

if a person is a dunce or of low intellectual level he should stick to his own native language.

is this the reason why you speak only hindi?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

if a person is a dunce or of low intellectual level he should stick to his own native language.

i prefer to think some people have a flair for languages, and some just don't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i speak hindi and english and the reason why i did not learn other languages was because i suffered from a speech defect in my younger days. My focus was to gain fluency in my speech rather than learn other languages.

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

i speak hindi and english and the reason why i did not learn other languages was because i suffered from a speech defect in my younger days. My focus was to gain fluency in my speech rather than learn other languages.
Have you started learning Persian, the Mughals' language of choice?

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 pm

nevada wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The court language of the later mughals i.e. mughal kings after Aurangzeb was urdu, and not persian. colloquial urdu is the same as colloquial hindi and so i am already speaking the court language of the later mughals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
nevada wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

The court language of the later mughals i.e. mughal kings after Aurangzeb was urdu, and not persian. colloquial urdu is the same as colloquial hindi and so i am already speaking the court language of the later mughals.

The court language of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan of Karnataka, Nawabs of Arcot of Tamil Nadu, and Nizams of Hyderabad was also urdu to the best of my knowledge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down