Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temp house fixes for an oldish person

2 posters

Go down

Temp house fixes for an oldish person Empty Temp house fixes for an oldish person

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:09 am

Who sort of suffers from neuropathy in feet. 

My home is just not ready and I am literally freaking out. 

Walk-in shower. That I have. 
Need to put a bench in it. Also a handle. 
Some anti-skid. Any reco? I researched different options but all have issues. How to deal with soap scum?
Outside the shower, firm non-slip mats. That I have. Maybe put more? Maybe put a chair outside the shower to sit down and wipe dry?

Our outside stairs have no reliable railing. Need to fix that. But if I can't provide a slope what can I do to make the stairs better? I have no first floor bedroom or full bath. 

What else? Anyone has experience with this? I am also googling and talking to peeps but if you can find any link please feel free to share or send a note. 

TIA.

Back to top Go down

Temp house fixes for an oldish person Empty Re: Temp house fixes for an oldish person

Post by swapna Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Who sort of suffers from neuropathy in feet. 

My home is just not ready and I am literally freaking out. 

Walk-in shower. That I have. 
Need to put a bench in it. Also a handle. 
Some anti-skid. Any reco? I researched different options but all have issues. How to deal with soap scum?
Outside the shower, firm non-slip mats. That I have. Maybe put more? Maybe put a chair outside the shower to sit down and wipe dry?

Our outside stairs have no reliable railing. Need to fix that. But if I can't provide a slope what can I do to make the stairs better? I have no first floor bedroom or full bath. 

What else? Anyone has experience with this? I am also googling and talking to peeps but if you can find any link please feel free to share or send a note. 

TIA.
Google the American Institute of Architects (AIA) or a similar professional society for interior designers, and enquire about publications on guidelines or standards for designing for the disabled and the infirm. You might also randomly phone a firm or two of architects or interior designers in your area and ask for suggestions on products and manufacturers.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Temp house fixes for an oldish person Empty Re: Temp house fixes for an oldish person

Post by seven Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:18 am

Get a tv for upstairs. So the person doesn't have to come down except for food, if s/he doesn't want to.
Get one of those chairs that the old guy is sitting on in kayak.com or hotels.com ad. The chair can smhow attach itself to the railing and climbs the stairs automatically. This person has to do nothing. Just sit n browse on the laptop! Pretty cool Han?
Do all that bench n handle anti skid thing too.

Last edited by seven on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar spellings typos etc)

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

will check all the links out - sent on and off such, thanks!

keep in mind it's a temp thing for 2 weeks, and I have about 10 days to set this all up. is a sudden visit.

giving them my bedroom which does have a tv, but chances are, they will be downstairs all the day, as long as they could have a decent bed to nap in the afternoons (will see if I can arrange that). Kids know better than not to change the channels when oldies are in the house. Then they need to be upstairs just for the night's sleep and shower. Will see. I am mentally chalking out how I will manage manually what I can't arrange in terms of fixtures.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:45 am

For 10 dats you can ask your xh to drag their regular wheelchair up n down the stairs. No need to get that other chair I mentioned.
Might also suggest not bathing everyday. I mean 10 days is not that long! Tell them to go upstairs every other day or like the day they arrive, once I'm between day 3 days later n the day they are leaving. They only have to climb thrice (that is if xh of them are uncomfortable with my idea)

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am

forgot to mention, there is no wheelchair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down