Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t.s.sathyavathi

2 posters

Go down

t.s.sathyavathi Empty t.s.sathyavathi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:20 pm

had never heard of this wonderful vocalist, a disciple of shri.r.k.srikantan before today. has a beautiful cultured voice, with a timbre very similar to d.k.pattammAL at the peak of her powers.  not screechy and overly high pitched like so many indian female voices in cinema music as well as singers like sudha raghunathan.

a very soulful sAramati:
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

t.s.sathyavathi Empty Re: t.s.sathyavathi

Post by indophile Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:27 am

I once heard her sing a pallavi with "avadhaana" taalam, i.e., singing same pallavi saahityam in two taalas simultaneously, keeping one taala with the left hand and the second taala with the right hand. She was singing in front of her guru R.K. Srikanthan, M.S. Sheela and other noted musicians were sitting in the front row of the audience. She requested the audience not to visibly put taala as that might disturb her, and even a slippage of one laghu would mess up the whole thing. I have not seen any musician attempt that in concert. She also trained an excellent vocalist named Anjana Rao who was placed second in the Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel's (SVBC) competition for musicians aged 16-25. Many very good singers who are now students of Sowmya, Ravikiran, Lalgudi Jayaraman, Sudha Raghunathan, Pantula Rama, Sankaran Nambudri, Huderabad Sisters, etc., participated in that competition which was aired over a period of six months on TV.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 am

indophile wrote:I once heard her sing a pallavi with "avadhaana" taalam, i.e., singing same pallavi saahityam in two taalas simultaneously, keeping one taala with the left hand and the second taala with the right hand. She was singing in front of her guru R.K. Srikanthan, M.S. Sheela and other noted musicians were sitting in the front row of the audience. She requested the audience not to visibly put taala as that might disturb her, and even a slippage of one laghu would mess up the whole thing. I have not seen any musician attempt that in concert. She also trained an excellent vocalist named Anjana Rao who was placed second in the Sri Venkateswara Bhakti Channel's (SVBC) competition for musicians aged 16-25. Many very good singers who are now students of Sowmya, Ravikiran, Lalgudi Jayaraman, Sudha Raghunathan, Pantula Rama, Sankaran Nambudri, Huderabad Sisters, etc., participated in that competition which was aired over a period of six months on TV.  

indo thanks for the info.  i am an instant fan! why isn't she seen more on the concert stage? there are also two lecdems by her, one on the music of MD and one on swati tirunal.  they are both in kannada.  i tried listening but couldn't follow completely, although she seems to be a fantastic scholar musician and in command of her subject.  there are also short lecdem excerpts on kalpana swaram singing on youtube. if i ever wanted to learn music, i would like to learn from her. there are so many outsized egos on the CM scene and i hadn't even heard of her before yesterday!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum