Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

telugu-kansan in insular california

+10
b_A
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Seva Lamberdar
nevada
confuzzled dude
indophile
swapna
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

telugu-kansan in insular california - Page 3 Empty Re: telugu-kansan in insular california

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:40 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:I think critics of Nithin are being too harsh. What are the odds of him deciphering the word deewAli in a first go without any surprises as deepAwaLi; none. His family probably didn't have any interaction with NIs. I'm not surprised that he found namaskar a bit odd, like I said before a Telugu raised in konaseema will find that usage a bit odd as well

yeah. some guy in konaseema that cant read a newspaper. not a university edumacated "southeast asian" that travelled to 40 countries

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

telugu-kansan in insular california - Page 3 Empty Re: telugu-kansan in insular california

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 pm

It is just me or real that only BJP supporters are critical or annoyed with Nithin's view point

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
nevada wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

another synoposis: he has highly individualistic parents who asked him to ignore the crowd and find the truth.

I don't see truth in his denial of any awareness of certain things commonly known to Indians in the US. Or, maybe I am being unfair - he probably lived under a rock after-all.

nothing in kansas except steers, queers and rocks

and sri srinivasan.

Isn't there another girl who helped co-found Yahoo.. another Tambrahmi woman...would not be surprised if she is related to Sri Sri.

why are you two చంకలు గుడ్డు కోవటం over this northindian abcd fool whose claim to fame is representing jeff skilling?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:It is just me or real that only BJP supporters are critical or annoyed with Nithin's view point

well you do suffer from paccha kaamerlu (seeing saffron and yellow in everything)

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:It is just me or real that only BJP supporters are critical or annoyed with Nithin's view point

it is just you. i don't find modi ji good looking and his sartorial taste is weird, imo.

nithin guy blinks at "diwali" and later says this:

One was for Diwali, and the other two bewildered me. Garba? Bhangra? I thought I knew my culture well; after all, I could speak Telugu and knew how to cook some Andhra dishes. But what was this? I turned to the girl sitting next to me.

why would he spell it diwali? is diwali called something else in telugu? i haven't read all his posts but it seems like he has just trying to create a certain image for himself and is using all the cliched examples. he has a point that outside india, north indian culture and north indian food and bollywood are largely identified as "indian". i agree with him and often do make it a point to correct people of this notion. at the same time, why act as if he has never heard of those things? he hasn't heard of daal? that would imply that he has never been to a typical NI restaurant in the US in all his years of stay there. quite bizarre unless he was fed perugu annam and pappu whatever at home all his life.  he could have made his point in a sensible way instead of feigning ignorance.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:I think critics of Nithin are being too harsh. What are the odds of him deciphering the word deewAli in a first go without any surprises as deepAwaLi; none. His family probably didn't have any interaction with NIs. I'm not surprised that he found namaskar a bit odd, like I said before a Telugu raised in konaseema will find that usage a bit odd as well

yeah. some guy in konaseema that cant read a newspaper. not a university edumacated "southeast asian" that travelled to 40 countries
There are  plenty of telugus in konaseema that don't read Hindi newspaper nor watch Hindi channels. This guy was talking about his experience from his freshman days in college, so cut him some slack, he seems to have issue with the lack of interest shown by his peers of NI origin to learn about his culture

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
nevada wrote:

I don't see truth in his denial of any awareness of certain things commonly known to Indians in the US. Or, maybe I am being unfair - he probably lived under a rock after-all.

and sri srinivasan.

Isn't there another girl who helped co-found Yahoo.. another Tambrahmi woman...would not be surprised if she is related to Sri Sri.

why are you two చంకలు గుడ్డు కోవటం over this northindian abcd fool whose claim to fame is representing jeff skilling?

1. he may have been born in Sardarji Land, but he has 100% Tambrahmi blood...

2. He is not ABCD (you forgot its expansion)

Bonus: This guy was the point guard at high school with Danny Manning as center. Manning paid very high tribute to this guy for their school's state championship.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

This kid muct have applied to berkeley, UCLA, Davis, etc... and got into only UCi - he could have gone to KU instead but wanted to claim he went to "cali"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am

bw wrote:

it is just you. i don't find modi ji good looking and his sartorial taste is weird, imo.

nithin guy blinks at "diwali" and later says this:

One was for Diwali, and the other two bewildered me. Garba? Bhangra? I thought I knew my culture well; after all, I could speak Telugu and knew how to cook some Andhra dishes. But what was this? I turned to the girl sitting next to me.

why would he spell it diwali? is diwali called something else in telugu? i haven't read all his posts but it seems like he has just trying to create a certain image for himself and is using all the cliched examples. he has a point that outside india, north indian culture and north indian food and bollywood are largely identified as "indian". i agree with him and often do make it a point to correct people of this notion. at the same time, why act as if he has never heard of those things? he hasn't heard of daal? that would imply that he has never been to a typical NI restaurant in the US in all his years of stay there. quite bizarre unless he was fed perugu annam and pappu whatever at home all his life.  he could have made his point in a sensible way instead of feigning ignorance.
I do the same at every opportunity I get. 
I'm sure he is aware of naan/daal but I'm willing to cut him some slack

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

and sri srinivasan.

Bonus: This guy was the point guard at high school with Danny Manning as center. Manning paid very high tribute to this guy for their school's state championship.

oh in that case, continue with the cankalu guddukone exercise celebrating tambrahmi supremacy

arent you like an outsider basking in reflected glory tho?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:17 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

well you do suffer from paccha kaamerlu (seeing saffron and yellow in everything)
It is natural that they are irked with his anti-nationalistic view; if it were up to them they will ensure that he eats chippa kudu Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:21 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Why are  you sure?
I know what daal is from this forum. What is naan?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

and sri srinivasan.

oh in that case, continue with the cankalu guddukone exercise celebrating tambrahmi supremacy

arent you like an outsider basking in reflected glory tho?

When there is something to gain ...why bother about castu, language-u, regiona-u...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:[
xlation: I am ready to forgive and understand your lies and go with someone's central thesis as long as it fits with my own prejudices. 

as i said, i have way more sympathy for young people trying to navigate their way in the world than i have for old farts close to me in age who should know better.

for a scientist, you are remarkably forgiving of things that dont add up in his story and accepting of his final conclusion. for some of us tho, the whole story rings false and made up to justify why he stayed away from his indian roots and was/is hanging around asians. nothing wrong with that, ppl are free to hang around with who they like but making up tall tales of oppression and alienation by the oppressive majority will elicit derison from the rest that dont share certain prejudices that a few old farts seem to belabor under.

i don't see what your problem is.  i can identify with his irritation at others making certain assumptions about his cultural antecedents. this is no different from what you yourself said somewhere else in this thread. i am also not sure where you are reading this narrative on "oppression" and "alienation".  are you absolutely sure you are not reflecting some of your own insecurities and feelings onto what he actually wrote?

>>>>> Why the "double-minority" phrasing and the angst over it? In the scheme of things, does the fact that he doesn't know bhangra or is not accepted by the bhangra club affect him that much?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:07 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why are  you sure?

exactly - what am naan? who am naan? deep existential questions from you, KV!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 am

question for max:

if this guy were a north indian guy and he showed this kind of cluelessness to bharatanatyam, sambaar and say, idli, would you have been as understanding and appreciative of his quest for "truth" and congratulated his parents for raising a thinker?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 am

bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why are  you sure?

Reminds me of a Station Master of a small railway station in British India. The British officer asks,

"Who is the station master?"
"Sir, I is the station master."

"Oh! Are you the station master?"
"Yes sir, I are the station master"

Then, in order to get the right answer out of the station master, the British guy asks -
"Am you the station master?"
"Yes sir, I am the station master."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 am

indophile wrote:
bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why are  you sure?

Reminds me of a Station Master of a small railway station in British India. The British officer asks,

Then, in order to get the right answer out of the station master, the British guy asks -
is there a pun here?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:12 pm

swapna wrote:
indophile wrote:
bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Why are  you sure?

is there a pun here?
What do you think,the evil loser ?
That British officer is just like you. A loser who is more interested in correcting the grammar than finding the answer.
Your observation powers that are legendary for being weak and your inability to process words if they are not correct grammatically or spelling wise is the reason you ended up as such a big loser that you are.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

LOL@paccha kaamerlu

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 pm

smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

LOL@paccha kaamerlu

does that mean jaundice? in tamil it is manjaL (often corrupted to manja) kAmAlai. i assume paccha means green? manjaL is yellow.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

LOL@paccha kaamerlu

does that mean jaundice? in tamil it is manjaL (often corrupted to manja) kAmAlai. i assume paccha means green? manjaL is yellow.
In Telugu both yellow & green are paccha. green is aaku(leaf) paccha & yellow is pasupu(turmeric) paccha.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

LOL@paccha kaamerlu

Yes it is jaundice. 

there are a few qualified pacchas in telugu

pasidi paccha => Golden Yellow
pasupu paccha => Turmeric Yellow
aaku paccha => Leafy Green
chilaka paccha => Parrot Green
mAmidi paccha => Mango Yellow (ripe mango implied here)

Paccha is also the name for Emerald and so an unqualified 'paccha' should generally imply Emerald Green. But the qualifier sometime is implied from the context as in kAmerlu (jaundice) here. So in the above usage it is Yellow.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am

smArtha wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

LOL@paccha kaamerlu

Yes it is jaundice. 

there are a few qualified pacchas in telugu

pasidi paccha => Golden Yellow
pasupu paccha => Turmeric Yellow
aaku paccha => Leafy Green
chilaka paccha => Parrot Green
mAmidi paccha => Mango Yellow (ripe mango implied here)

Paccha is also the name for Emerald and so an unqualified 'paccha' should generally imply Emerald Green. But the qualifier sometime is implied from the context as in kAmerlu (jaundice) here. So in the above usage it is Yellow.
But a simple "paccha" with no qualifier is the gem emerald (green)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3