Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause

+12
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
Hellsangel
dominic mistry
bw
Propagandhi711
Maria S
Obnoxious
confuzzled dude
MaxEntropy_Man
nevada
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause Empty Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause

Post by nevada Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 pm

He was only 63, I thought he was 70+

nevada

Back to top Go down

Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause Empty Re: Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm

oh crap! i love that guy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause Empty Re: Breaking news - Robin Williams dead, suicide likely cause

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:10 pm

ohhhh. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm

So sad.. this guy was great.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes, it is terrible tragedy.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 pm

dead poets' society is one of my favorite movies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:56 pm

It is hard not to like Robin..even if one did not care for his hyperactive-manic-enormous overacting style..how can one not love this man who had a child-like innocence..and big heart, which was so obvious..

Bye funny Robin..may be you just got tired of wearing a happy mask..and battling all your physical and mental illnesses and addictions..and could not take it anymore..the end may be tragic..but, I am not sad..63 seems 63, and what a life- you were larger than life:) 
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Maria S wrote:It is hard not to like Robin..even if one did not care for his hyperactive-manic-enormous overacting style..how can one not love this man who had a child-like innocence..and big heart, which was so obvious..

Bye funny Robin..may be you just got tired of wearing a happy mask..and battling all your physical and mental illnesses and addictions..and could not take it anymore..the end may be tragic..but, I am not sad..63 seems 63, and what a life- you were larger than life:) 

was good as serial killer in insomnia but was annoying in rest of movies I saw him in.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 pm

quite shocking.

i liked him in "the world according to garp" and "deconstructing harry".

he reminded me of kamal haasan when it came to exaggeration.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:35 pm

bw wrote:quite shocking.

he reminded me of salman rushdie.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:39 pm

i saw him on jon stewart's show recently and thought i could sense some unhappiness beneath that manic comedic mask of his (thanks maria!).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by dominic mistry Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 pm

nevada wrote:He was only 63, I thought he was 70+

a terrible actor.  there was always the hum of psychiatric illness lurking beneath the surface, I have always felt this way about him. for someone who called himself a comedian he never made me laugh.

patch adams was the most deplorable movie he made. one could say the same of the movie's concept. whoever made that movie wanted the audience not to just sniffle but cry a river. that effort was laughable.

good will hunting was one of my favorite movies but even there his acting was mediocre. the avuncular, student counselor role was what he could do best as he did in a couple of other movies. easy acting that should've been made to look effortless but he did not do that even that.

but I suppose it is traditional to say something nice when one dies:
he did work hard even when grappling with what seems like profound depression.
dying at 63, he did not collect any social security even though he paid his taxes and for that money gift we as a society must thank him.
he also successfully killed himself instead of putting his family through any icu dramas. I suppose there is some honesty in that and more money saved also.
based on his personality outside of his work, he was by all accounts a good man.

Last edited by dominic mistry on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

dominic mistry

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

dominic mistry wrote:

a terrible actor.  there was always the hum of psychiatric illness lurking beneath the surface, I have always felt this way about him. for someone who called himself a comedian he never made me laugh.

patch adams was the most deplorable movie he made. one could say the same of the movie's concept. whoever made that movie wanted the audience not to just sniffle but cry a river. that effort was laughable.

good will hunting was one of my favorite movies but even there his acting was mediocre. the avuncular, student counselor role was what he could do best as he did in a couple of other movies. easy acting that should've been made to look effortless but he did not do that even that.

dying at 63, he did not collect any social security even though he paid his taxes and for that as a society we must thank him.
he also successfully killed himself instead of putting his family through any icu dramas. I suppose there is some honest in that and more money saved also.
based on his personality outside of his work, he was by all accounts a good man.
Or, you can say nothing - like me.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by dominic mistry Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:02 pm

nevada wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

dying at 63, he did not collect any social security even though he paid his taxes and for that as a society we must thank him.
he also successfully killed himself instead of putting his family through any icu dramas. I suppose there is some honest in that and more money saved also.
Or, you can say nothing - like me.

well, I had nice things to say.

dominic mistry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:25 pm

I am not sure if anyone mentioned Good Will Hunting here. But that was one of his subtler roles. I don't remember him exaggerating there.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:32 pm

i don't remember goodwill hunting as well as DPS. it was also a teacher/mentor role wasn't it?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm

dominic mistry wrote:

dying at 63, he did not collect any social security even though he paid his taxes and for that money gift we as a society must thank him.
he also successfully killed himself instead of putting his family through any icu dramas. I suppose there is some honesty in that and more money saved also.
I thought you were Max-on-steroids but Max likes good acting, so you are not. Robin Williams made people laugh and more importantly feel good.

I would have loved to see him more and felt we are robbed from a full movie at intermission.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 pm

ok watched a few YouTube clips of g w hunting. i remember it now.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

I am not sure if anyone mentioned Good Will Hunting here. But that was one of his subtler roles. I don't remember him exaggerating there.

that movie was okay - he was a bit muted in that. i can only remember matt damon from it. Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 pm

dominic mistry wrote:

i agree with almost everything you say - just thought this wasn't the appropriate time to say it.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 pm

bw wrote:

that movie was okay - he was a bit muted in that. i can only remember matt damon from it. Smile
Ah yes! The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

Ah yes! The Talented Mr. Ripley.

that was a good movie - matt damon has this earnest look about him and reminds me of someone i know.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 pm

OMG! He seemed like a funny and jolly guy in his interviews. Sad!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 pm

bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

i agree with almost everything you say - just thought this wasn't the appropriate time to say it.

tough crowd.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

tough crowd.

why does he remind you of rushdie?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:37 pm

bw wrote:

just read the opening chapter of satanic verses. it has the same relentless, manic, comedic style that's a hallmark of williams's acting. i didn't mean physical appearance. it's interesting that they are both apparently ENFP personalities.

i'm not the only one to note this by the way. the thought seems to have occurred to lots of people independently. here for instance.

Much like Robin Williams, Rushdie cannot help himself: a frenzied torrent of ideas, scenes, and observations spill onto every page, leaving the reader either exhausted and exasperated or dizzy and delighted.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

just read the opening chapter of satanic verses. it has the same relentless, manic, comedic style that's a hallmark of williams's acting. i didn't mean physical appearance. it's interesting that they are both apparently ENFP personalities.

i'm not the only one to note this by the way. the thought seems to have occurred to lots of people independently. here for instance.

Much like Robin Williams, Rushdie cannot help himself: a frenzied torrent of ideas, scenes, and observations spill onto every page, leaving the reader either exhausted and exasperated or dizzy and delighted.

thanks.

aside: i read this article recently.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/myers-briggs-personality-test-meaningless

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

thanks.

aside: i read this article recently.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/myers-briggs-personality-test-meaningless

ok. i know nothing of such matters. it seems better than using zodiac signs to compare personalities.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by dominic mistry Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

So this is all okay to say at a different time that people deem is appropriate?

For someone who is not his grieving wife or a fan I said several good things about him that you perhaps did not even realize: I do appreciate his tax contributions and the monetary gift he leaves behind to people who have no relation to him  and the fact the he is an outstanding citizen.

And quite frankly, there is no other appropriate time to talk about him cuz people won't remember him.

dominic mistry

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

dominic mistry wrote:
bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

For someone who is not his grieving wife or a fan I said several good things about him that you perhaps did not even realize: I do appreciate his tax contributions and the monetary gift he leaves behind to people who have no relation to him  and the fact the he is an outstanding citizen.

And quite frankly, there is no other appropriate time to talk about him cuz people won't remember him.

i have no issue with whatever you said. i too wanted to say he was an atrocious actor but held back since he just died. that's all. interesting that you use "cuz".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 am

Kinnera wrote:OMG! He seemed like a funny and jolly guy in his interviews. Sad!

All funny people hide a lot of sadness and unhappiness inside.

- painting with the general brush as usual.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 am

...and all these days i thought he was a Brit.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:25 am

Hellsangel wrote:

>>>I liked him in the movie with De Niro ('awakening') and in Dead Poets Society where he plays a teacher and of course Goodwill Hunting. Somehow I thought that the roles he played in those movies were closer to his true self than the comedy he was famous for.

Anyway, RIP- RW.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 am

May he RIP!
Really a huge loss to the entertainment world and his fans.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:59 am

bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:
bw wrote:
dominic mistry wrote:

i have no issue with whatever you said. i too wanted to say he was an atrocious actor but held back since he just died. that's all. interesting that you use "cuz".

Yes. You did not say anything bad about a person who just died. You are a nice person indeed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:May he RIP!

how do you quantify this as a huge loss? it's not like he's the leader of actors without whom they'll lose a battle or something. how is it a huge loss?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:

how do you quantify this as a huge loss? it's not like he's the leader of actors without whom they'll lose a battle or something. how is it a huge loss?

Do you think the huge loss happens only when the leader of a unit fighting in the battle dies?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

Do you think the huge loss happens only when the leader of a unit fighting in the battle dies?

yeah whats the downside now that this guy's goner? no patch adams 2? no mrs doubtfire 3? no birdcage 2? big deal

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:46 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

yeah whats the downside now that this guy's goner? no patch adams 2? no mrs doubtfire 3? no birdcage 2? big deal
There are at least 4 more movies coming soon, which he had already completed.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Insomnia. that is all I want to say. that and good will hunting. hated him in birdcage or Mrs. doubtfire but those were big movie mistakes rather than acting mistakes, IMO.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Of all the things I heard and read about Robin today.. #2 below, where he wore scrubs and surprised his friend Christopher Reeve..was the most moving and marvelous..a gentle soul, indeed. May be the two friends..a superman who was physically paralyzed and a funny man..who was emotionally paralzyed are "free in spirit" now..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-facts_n_5670220.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

[ltr]Reeve and Williams became good friends when they both attended The Juilliard School together. Williams claimed at the time that Reeve was "literally feeding me because I don't think I literally had money for food or my student loan hadn't come in yet, and he would share his food with me." In his book, "Still Me," Reeve wrote about Williams visiting him in the hospital:[/ltr]

[ltr]Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent. He announced that he was my proctologist, and that he had to examine me immediately...it was Robin Williams...for the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.[/ltr]

We see people face-to-face..and screen-to-screen online..but, we never know so many really marvelous things they have done in life for others..spend so much time criticizing, dissecting, never appreciating them..as Robin says..we "mythlogise" them when they are gone..as tributes are pouring in for him...
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I had only seen two of his films - Mrs Doubtfire and GWH and none of his other shows or interviews. So no question of missing him on the screen. I hope his departure from this stage was peaceful and journey -where ever to- is pleasant and comfortable. 

However, I'm concerned why someone - especially at his level of success - was perpetually depressed. The news forced me to read about about Chronic Depression or Dysthymia. Most of the symptoms seem to be psychological in nature. However, it is not well established if the causes themselves are rooted in the psychological system or the physiological one. If it is the latter, medical science may discover some drug to cure or at least manage it. How to address it if it is the former is the burning question on my mind now.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Oh ya just remembered one hour photo. Liked him in it and insomnia. And a couple of those usual comedies, RV and mrs doubtfire. Patch Adams was a bit much. Can't seem to r'ber others. I r'ber a stand up routine he had done regarding face lifts. let's see if I find it.

found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFNW8ATGhg&list=RD7BFNW8ATGhg#t=6

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Forget all the movies that RW acted.

The best is Alladin and the his voice behind the Genie. The cartoon fitted his voice, exuberance and the style PERFECTLY. No one could have done better. Kids, young ones, and the adults, and oldies all loved it.

That alone is sufficient contribution to the art on his part.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Forget all the movies that RW acted.

The best is Alladin and the his voice behind the Genie. The cartoon fitted his voice, exuberance and the style PERFECTLY. No one could have done better. Kids, young ones, and the adults, and oldies all loved it.

That alone is sufficient contribution to the art on his part.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:41 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Oh ya just remembered one hour photo. Liked him in it and insomnia. And a couple of those usual comedies, RV and mrs doubtfire. Patch Adams was a bit much. Can't seem to r'ber others. I r'ber a stand up routine he had done regarding face lifts. let's see if I find it.

found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFNW8ATGhg&list=RD7BFNW8ATGhg#t=6

and the one in which he plays a 10 yo with a body of 40 yo or something, forgetting the name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am

smArtha wrote:I had only seen two of his films - Mrs Doubtfire and GWH and none of his other shows or interviews. So no question of missing him on the screen. I hope his departure from this stage was peaceful and journey -where ever to- is pleasant and comfortable. 

However, I'm concerned why someone - especially at his level of success - was perpetually depressed. The news forced me to read about about Chronic Depression or Dysthymia. Most of the symptoms seem to be psychological in nature. However, it is not well established if the causes themselves are rooted in the psychological system or the physiological one. If it is the latter, medical science may discover some drug to cure or at least manage it. How to address it if it is the former is the burning question on my mind now.

When one is severely depressed, they are robbed of cognition. Everything shuts down and to be in that kind of darkness is so awful that you would never wish it even on your worst enemy. It's an awful disease and not something that you can just simply snap out of. To be honest, I have experienced it twice in my life, the first when I lost my mom and the second, I don't want to disclose here only because folks here use personal information for amusing themselves. The first time, I needed medication. I can tell you this. The pain is so bad, the hurt causes the pain and if you want to "technically" stop the pain, then ending your life becomes the only option. Whatever it was that triggered this in the man, I can only imagine how miserable he must have been all through the pain :-( RIP indeed.

I do have a point with this post - if a person is in depression, the cause is not always the "drama factor". It is real and is definitely a condition that warrants lots of support from family[if available] and/or medication, depending on how bad the issue is.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't remember goodwill hunting as well as DPS. it was also a teacher/mentor role wasn't it?

"good will hunting," like "proof," was a significant movie for people who have an interest in mathematics or theoretical computer science. in the former, matt damon plays the part of a mathematical genius who happens to be a janitor at m.i.t., and williams is a psychologist who counsels damon.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 am

yeah. Having had seen personally a cousin flip in and out of periods of depression. Two distinct memories stand out.

1 - she cried through her wedding and reception.
2 - she would lie staring at the ceiling even as her newborn cried.

She went in and out of treatments a few times. Not sure why she didn't pursue it seriously. Everybody tried to help but it just didn't work. She eventually apparently killed herself, although no one knows exactly when and how. She was just found dead on a street in N Delhi, apparently jumped from a building, after a fight with her husband in their home in Gurgaon. No one saw her jumping, and there was no blood there. Her mom cried pretty much everyday for 6-7 years, and every time I met her, recounting each minute of that fateful day. Hard to not know exactly what happened, inspite of a dozen witness accounts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next