Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian women running

+6
pravalika nanda
TruthSeeker
bw
b_A
michelle2
truthbetold
10 posters

Go down

Indian women running  Empty Indian women running

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 am

http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/india-running/article6364810.ece

More and more indians are participating in marathons in more and more cities.  More importantly lot more women are participating in these marathons.  That is a great change over the past few decades.  It used walking for elderly and then yoga came in.  In absolute terms, a very small % of indians are running. But relatively more and more people are running. For now most off these runners seem to be educated urbanites.  Exapansion to rural areas and to all income groups and age groups would be as beneficial to indias progress as infrastructure development. 

Swimming, hiking and mountain climbing should next set of popular exercises. However rural areas of India may have a strong lead in those areas over urban areas.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Indian women running  Empty Re: Indian women running

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 am

yeah have two contacts (women) in fb who faithfully run half marathons every time they can. One is in India. The one in India is my classmate from highschool. Met her in the village last year where she practices for her running events. Used to be super super chubby as a kid, but discovered Jane Fonda's exercise tapes by middle school and never looked back. I see her sister now and can see what my friend would also look like if she wasn't a fitness freak. She cycles to go to work and also cycles for recreation.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:00 am

Women have far more influence on children than men. So it is good to see women coming out and participate.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:46 am

truthbetold wrote:Women have far more influence on children than men. So it is good to see women coming out and participate.

idk, depends on how involved and communicative the dad is. i was influenced by my dad. Listened to him when he was driving and talking about rules, not preaching, but just talking in general; listened to him about parenting teens, even if that teen was me; listened to him talk about medicine, how to be conservative about it; money, again how to be conservative; love for science in general; love for things like puzzles, cards, sports; about fitness; be logical; and so on.

Mom too. In general how to teach via stories; how to be practical and street smart (vs dad being ideal); when to be quiet and when to speak; self-safety; cooking; about love and parenting; how to focus on the war and not on the battles; most importantly, how to see other person's point of view; develop empathy; be reasonable; and so on.

Spent way more time talking to her than with dad, but the ratio I think would be 60/40.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 am

truthbetold wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/india-running/article6364810.ece

More and more indians are participating in marathons in more and more cities.  More importantly lot more women are participating in these marathons.  That is a great change over the past few decades.  It used walking for elderly and then yoga came in.  In absolute terms, a very small % of indians are running. But relatively more and more people are running. For now most off these runners seem to be educated urbanites.  Exapansion to rural areas and to all income groups and age groups would be as beneficial to indias progress as infrastructure development. 

Swimming, hiking and mountain climbing should next set of popular exercises. However rural areas of India may have a strong lead in those areas over urban areas.

SoothBeSold,

what is the meaning of "It used walking for elderly and then yoga came in?" multiple problems afflict the sentence; only one of them is the omission of words; another seems to be using english script to write in telugu.

furthermore, you don't seem to understand the ideas of expressing quantities in relative as opposed to absolute terms. a percent is an expression in relative, not absolute terms, here, the number of people running for exercise relative to the total population. you mistakenly refer to the "very small % of indians running" as "absolute terms." 

what seems to be happening in india is that more and more people are running for exercise, but at present, the runners form a very small percent of the population.

about your last paragraph, your comparison of urban and rural people in india does not make sense; rural people do not swim, hike, or climb mountains in order to exercise and stay fit, as urban people do in their sedentary lives; they - rural people - expend great amounts of energy naturally to live their daily lives, for example, to work in their farms, walk to the market and their schools, and to bring home drinkable water.

a suggestion: give some thought to the subject you want to post on, before you post; and respect the reader by editing your post.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:49 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Women have far more influence on children than men. So it is good to see women coming out and participate.

idk, depends on how involved and communicative the dad is. i was influenced by my dad. Listened to him when he was driving and talking about rules, not preaching, but just talking in general; listened to him about parenting teens, even if that teen was me; listened to him talk about medicine, how to be conservative about it; money, again how to be conservative; love for science in general; love for things like puzzles, cards, sports; about fitness; be logical; and so on.

Mom too. In general how to teach via stories; how to be practical and street smart (vs dad being ideal); when to be quiet and when to speak; self-safety; cooking; about love and parenting; how to focus on the war and not on the battles; most importantly, how to see other person's point of view; develop empathy; be reasonable; and so on.

Spent way more time talking to her than with dad, but the ratio I think would be 60/40.

You're not giving the credit to the person who gave you the most appropriate advice at the right time, your x-FIL. Didn't he caution you before the marriage that you two are not a good fit and predict the failure of the marriage, as per your autobiographical stories? If only you had listened to him with an open mind.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:25 pm

i know several women in india who participate in 5k, 10K and marathons regularly. one of them recently did a 50K run. a bunch of women went on a trek to annapurna early this year. the same group is planning one to mount kinabalu early next year.

swimming was pretty common even during my school days - at least among the girls i knew.

it is true that all these are urban women.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:32 pm

My experience in US is different. I guess, it depends on each individual based on their interest. My women friends, and my wife can hike a 14K feet mountain without blinking an eye. participate in marathons, And I, as a proud athletic man, *hmph hmph* :-)

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 pm

b_A wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

You're not giving the credit to the person who gave you the most appropriate advice at the right time, your x-FIL. Didn't he caution you before the marriage that you two are not a good fit and predict the failure of the marriage, as per your autobiographical stories? If only you had listened to him with an open mind.

no he didn't do any such thing. he didn't want us to marry initially coz i am a northindian.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:50 pm

bw wrote:i know several women in india who participate in 5k, 10K and marathons regularly. one of them recently did a 50K run. a bunch of women went on a trek to annapurna early this year. the same group is planning one to mount kinabalu early next year.

swimming was pretty common even during my school days - at least among the girls i knew.

**please provide me with the names of the cities these women grew up in and the swimming clubs they patronized.  as far as I know, the only swimming pools in india are the ones in the hotels and only the Tajs and Leelas have good swimming pools that are not over-chlorinated. I think you may have unintentionally exaggerated the number of women who were swimming when you were growing up. and did they really swim laps or just float with a noodle? anyhow swimming was rare then and it continues to be rare now even among wealthy educated urban indian women.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 pm

the only women who I know do swim well are the fisherwoman that live by the beach in a city by the sea in coastal Andhra.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
b_A wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

no he didn't do any such thing. he didn't want us to marry initially coz i am a northindian.
after interacting with a lot of educated SI men, I've come to the conclusion that while they have an extraordinary capacity for high-minded drivel they are in fact, extremely conservative and narrow-minded. I'm sorry that I wasn't there to warn you before.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:57 pm

my village had a swimming pool, decent sized, but not olympic size. i learned basic swimming there, without the noodle, taking tips from other aunties. I am not a strong swimmer. the new pool is bigger but i don't know what standard it is size wise.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:my village had a swimming pool, decent sized, but not olympic size. i learned basic swimming there, without the noodle, taking tips from other aunties. I am not a strong swimmer. the new pool is bigger but i don't know what standard it is size wise.
the only reason nis would have swimming pools is hoping the girl baby swimmers would drown, no wonder you didn't have a noodle. you guys didn't even have schools, why would you have a pool?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:my village had a swimming pool, decent sized, but not olympic size. i learned basic swimming there, without the noodle, taking tips from other aunties. I am not a strong swimmer. the new pool is bigger but i don't know what standard it is size wise.
the only reason nis would have swimming pools is hoping the girl baby swimmers would drown, no wonder you didn't have a noodle. you guys didn't even have schools, why would you have a pool?

that's so insulting. just now u called other si educated men what?

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

why are you insulted? your parents throw you, just a babe, into the pool, aunties give you some tips, and wallah! you're swimming on your own, you survive the water test, i want to congratulate you although i'm pretty sure the depth may have been just 5 feet or so. either that or you are pretty upper class.

i didn't call them anything, but if i should i would like to borrow rashmun's  phrase: 'dummies and duffers". insufferable bunch of guys who will never get properly laid.

it was nice talking to you. let me get back to what i was doing before.

kisses, bea!

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:16 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:i know several women in india who participate in 5k, 10K and marathons regularly. one of them recently did a 50K run. a bunch of women went on a trek to annapurna early this year. the same group is planning one to mount kinabalu early next year.

**please provide me with the names of the cities these women grew up in and the swimming clubs they patronized.  as far as I know, the only swimming pools in india are the ones in the hotels and only the Tajs and Leelas have good swimming pools that are not over-chlorinated. I think you may have unintentionally exaggerated the number of women who were swimming when you were growing up. and did they really swim laps or just float with a noodle? anyhow swimming was rare then and it continues to be rare now even among wealthy educated urban indian women.

in madras, we had the anna swimming pool and a pool at IIT madras. we "patronized" these Smile we had special timing for "only women and children". i did it until i was 12 or 13 and didn't get back to it until i went to the US.  i didn't say swimming was common among all girls - just among the people i knew.

i can swim laps and in fact, one of my friends(a punjabi girl) was a very good swimmer and used to participate in competitions.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:20 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

**please provide me with the names of the cities these women grew up in and the swimming clubs they patronized.  as far as I know, the only swimming pools in india are the ones in the hotels and only the Tajs and Leelas have good swimming pools that are not over-chlorinated. I think you may have unintentionally exaggerated the number of women who were swimming when you were growing up. and did they really swim laps or just float with a noodle? anyhow swimming was rare then and it continues to be rare now even among wealthy educated urban indian women.

in madras, we had the anna swimming pool and a pool at IIT madras. we "patronized" these Smile we had special timing for "only women and children". i did it until i was 12 or 13 and didn't get back to it until i went to the US.  i didn't say swimming was common among all girls - just among the people i knew.

i can swim laps and in fact, one of my friends(a punjabi girl) was a very good swimmer and used to participate in competitions.
please get back to me with the depth of the pool. also, provide me with a list of names and telephone numbers of these women to verify your statements further. you have exactly 2 mins to do this.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:23 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

why are you insulted? your parents throw you, just a babe, into the pool, aunties give you some tips, and wallah! you're swimming on your own, you survive the water test, i want to congratulate you although i'm pretty sure the depth may have been just 5 feet or so. either that or you are pretty upper class.

i didn't call them anything, but if i should i would like to borrow rashmun's  phrase: 'dummies and duffers". insufferable bunch of guys who will never get properly laid.

it was nice talking to you. let me get back to what i was doing before.

kisses, bea!

no i was 12-13 years old and went on my own, first with my sister, then with my bff, but mostly by myself. my bff neighbor was a champ swimmer there, she learned from her parents. there used to be a life guard there who would give general tips and walked (outside) by you when initially you were scared to go into center deep. Since I never took formal training, I never learned the breathing pattern, so I am good if I can swim the length of the pool without breaking for wind.

village = a sports/family club.

Edit: XH swam there too, I just asked him the depth of the pool, and he doesn't remember either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Wait...I thought your entire clan on either side was Naarthie...

Dont tell me you are one of those real brahmins who migrated from Srirangam to UP.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Dont tell me you are one of those real brahmins who migrated from Srirangam to UP.

he is a marathi.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:40 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

** also, could you explain why in our very fair and cosmopolitan Chennai, women and children were segregated from the men when it came time to go swimming?
why this segregation? if they segregated men from women, did they also have different swimming times for the different castes. I don't know, please educate me. 
do people there suffer from a fear of unintended insemination? someone tell the thambis sperm don't swim that far.

** I know, too much homework for just one night.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

Sorry...then he is a Naarthie...just tell him..that he cannot be certified a true naarthie by the Southies. Mrathi is part of Hindi- family and hence a Marathi is a Naarthie.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:55 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:** also, could you explain why in our very fair and cosmopolitan Chennai, women and children were segregated from the men when it came time to go swimming?
why this segregation? if they segregated men from women, did they also have different swimming times for the different castes. I don't know, please educate me. 
do people there suffer from a fear of unintended insemination? someone tell the thambis sperm don't swim that far.

The last time i went to Madras IIT swimming pool, it was open to both men and women. I accompanied my teen niece there. Felt very uncomfortable. Couldn't bear to see the sight of men in tight, short, brief type swim trunks. eeeww! It was so vulgar. I was like, why can't they wear the loose knee length ones like they do in US. Girls and women otoh were dressed up to the knees. all reverse there.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 pm

[quote="pravalika nanda"][quote="bw"][quote="pravalika nanda"]
bw wrote:i know several women in india who participate in 5k
** also, could you explain why in our very fair and cosmopolitan Chennai, women and children were segregated from the men when it came time to go swimming?

ayyo, such a long assignment. let me try.

1. i think the pool was a fairly large pool(50m maybe) with a deep end since there was a diving board. i don't remember the exact dimensions. oh, there was a marina swimming pool too.

2. unfortunately, i am not in touch with any of those girls and don't have their phone numbers. you have to either believe me or continue questioning me.

3. the segregation was for modesty reasons. this was late 80s/early 90s timeframe and we were "shy", you know, to wear clingy swimwear in front of men. madras was a conservative place.

4. no caste based lanes, afaik.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Kinnera wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:** also, could you explain why in our very fair and cosmopolitan Chennai, women and children were segregated from the men when it came time to go swimming?

The last time i went to Madras IIT swimming pool, it was open to both men and women. I accompanied my teen niece there. Felt very uncomfortable. Couldn't bear to see the sight of men in tight, short, brief type swim trunks. eeeww! It was so vulgar. I was like, why can't they wear the loose knee length ones like they do in US.
** you mean you did not drool at the sight of this dominant subspecies, these extraordinary iit tambeswarams who are now busy conquering both coasts with their clever minds? you did not want to chase them for the enormous wealth they are going to generate over their lifetime? I would hike my saree up for a tambi any day. silly girl.

Girls and women otoh were dressed up to the knees. all reverse there.
** oh and what did you wear to the pool that day?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:18 pm

oh, PN, some of these girls also played tennis!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:19 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

The last time i went to Madras IIT swimming pool, it was open to both men and women. I accompanied my teen niece there. Felt very uncomfortable. Couldn't bear to see the sight of men in tight, short, brief type swim trunks. eeeww! It was so vulgar. I was like, why can't they wear the loose knee length ones like they do in US.
** you mean you did not drool at the sight of this dominant subspecies, these extraordinary iit tambeswarams who are now busy conquering both coasts with their clever minds? you did not want to chase them for the enormous wealth they are going to generate over their lifetime? I would hike my saree up for a tambi any day. silly girl.

Girls and women otoh were dressed up to the knees. all reverse there.
** oh and what did you wear to the pool that day?
1. They are not necessarily IIT students. It's open to everyone. It had ppl of every age range, from li'l kids to uncle types.
2. I didn't go there to swim. My niece was the one who did. I sat by the side of the pool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Ha..ha.. No fear of unintended insemination.. Separate reserved timings (restrictions only for men) are to attract women (either they are conservative or their parents) who would otherwise not come to the  swimming pool. But there is no restriction for women to come and swim at any time. When I learnt swimming in Velachery aquatic complex two years back there was another batch of women/girls getting trained.. and I could see a few girl/women swimmers doing laps. The pool is built for organizing sports events and follows the olympic size regulations, one pool is 50m, 8 feet depth, another training pool is 50m-4 feet depth and a diving pool is pretty deep.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

you do realize for most southern indians, maharashtrians are northindians right? btw, marathi is a language. the people are maharashtrians.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

you do realize for most southern indians, maharashtrians are northindians right? btw, marathi is a language. the people are maharashtrians.

Sorry...Marathi is a language and so are the ones who lspeak marathi. Like Gujarati... both language and the one who speaketh it.

Now what would you have called someone who lived in Ahmedabad in 1952?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

Ya I realize that. How does it change what he thought. We all grew up in MP (I think XH's family longer than ours), and for us North was north, East was east, and same with West, South and Central. After coming here, I used to feel offended whenever SIs called me a northie.

Anyway, he wanted a marathi speaking girl into his family, and I wasn't that. Worse, I wasn't even truly an MPite like them. My heritage was from UP, Haryana, Rajasthan, so that made me a 'true' NI. For some reason, entire India hates North Indians *shrug*. He agreed for the marriage after meeting me (that's another saga), but his prejudices didn't change for long. Not sure if has now. To be fair, his prejudice was not shared by pretty much anyone else in his family, hence I survived there, heh. To be more fair, he is a decent man otherwise, and I respect him for many things. Atleast that's what I tell my kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

Ya I realize that. How does it change what he thought. We all grew up in MP (I think XH's family longer than ours), and for us North was north, East was east, and same with West, South and Central. After coming here, I used to feel offended whenever SIs called me a northie.

There is a solution for this. Join Punju and haryanvi and Rajasthani groupies... You all will become Southies instantly. But, be careful around those men - they are starved for women due to the skewed ratio, and dont ever go in a bus after 6 PM.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

There is a solution for this.  Join Punju and haryanvi and Rajasthani groupies... You all will become Southies instantly.  But, be careful around those men - they are starved for women due to the skewed ratio, and dont ever go in a bus after 6 PM.

CENTRAL.. ugh we have such id crisis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

he is a marathi.

There is a solution for this.  Join Punju and haryanvi and Rajasthani groupies... You all will become Southies instantly.  But, be careful around those men - they are starved for women due to the skewed ratio, and dont ever go in a bus after 6 PM.

CENTRAL.. ugh we have such id crisis.

repeat...Naarth....South....that is it...for southies everything else is meaningless. Only time a southie will think of East and West is when he is talking about Duleep Trophy.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 pm

Apeejay, Noida sector 16.

Girls and boys swim together.
I think PN ate mirchi for dinner.

Swimming is not just for fisher women. People who live in beach less places swim too.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:55 am

seven wrote:Apeejay, Noida sector 16.

Girls and boys swim together.
I think PN ate mirchi for dinner.

Swimming is not just for fisher women. People who live in beach less places swim too.

Are there girls still living in Noida? Stop lying..Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:35 am

PN: " I would hike my saree up for a tambi any day." 

Raunchy session.

I think i know who posts as PN.  B-A was right. A tamilian with limited telugu cultural experience.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

Our ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:08 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

The pool at IITM was always closed because of water scarcity, at least in late 80's to early 90's. And because of water shortage in the hostels too , nobody even dreamed about swimming when the immediate concern was to get enough water for showering and other activities. Even though, the pool was "Olympic" sized, it was essentially so useless that I had to think for a couple of minutes to remember its location.

Last edited by b_A on Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 pm

truthbetold wrote:PN: " I would hike my saree up for a tambi any day." 

Raunchy session.

I think i know who posts as PN.  B-A was right. A tamilian with limited telugu cultural experience.

What PN meant to write was that he'd drop his pants.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
bw wrote:i know several women in india who participate in 5k

ayyo, such a long assignment. let me try.

1. i think the pool was a fairly large pool(50m maybe) with a deep end since there was a diving board. i don't remember the exact dimensions. oh, there was a marina swimming pool too.

2. unfortunately, i am not in touch with any of those girls and don't have their phone numbers. you have to either believe me or continue questioning me.

3. the segregation was for modesty reasons. this was late 80s/early 90s timeframe and we were "shy", you know, to wear clingy swimwear in front of men. madras was a conservative place.

** modesty is an extraordinary excuse for segregation. the segregation of women is evidence of a backward culture that does not provide the same opportunities and calories and care for its boys and girls. the culture taught women to be ashamed of their bodies, taught them to be timid of sexuality, and marked them as trash if they had relationships with men prior to marriage. tamil culture is as backward as any other indian culture, you got away from the worst of it because you grew up in a solid upper middle class home by indian standards and then built your life in the US. 

4. no caste based lanes, afaik.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:13 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
** modesty is an extraordinary excuse for segregation. the segregation of women is evidence of a backward culture that does not provide the same opportunities and calories and care for its boys and girls. the culture taught women to be ashamed of their bodies, taught them to be timid of sexuality, and marked them as trash if they had relationships with men prior to marriage. tamil culture is as backward as any other indian culture, you got away from the worst of it because you grew up in a solid upper middle class home by indian standards and then built your life in the US. 

PN, why are you not able to quote properly?

i have never claimed or believed that tamil culture is any better than any other indian culture. yes, indian culture is conservative to a large extent though i am not sure if it is entirely bad being conservative.  i don't think segregation in itself is an indication of backwardness. women weren't used to wearing revealing outfits in front of men and this was to accommodate that. as someone said, i don't think there was/is any restriction that stopped/stops women from using the pool at other times.

we have separate locker rooms even in the "advanced" west, don't we?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Indians celebrated sexuality and were a progressive open culture people until Muslims invaded n confused everyone. Now everyone tries to cover women and sex is a taboo.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 pm

bw wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

PN, why are you not able to quote properly?

i have never claimed or believed that tamil culture is any better than any other indian culture. yes, indian culture is conservative to a large extent though i am not sure if it is entirely bad being conservative.  i don't think segregation in itself is an indication of backwardness. women weren't used to wearing revealing outfits in front of men and this was to accommodate that. as someone said, i don't think there was/is any restriction that stopped/stops women from using the pool at other times.
** you're killing me. more later. have a date, sorry

we have separate locker rooms even in the "advanced" west, don't we?
** I was at a party two months ago - small town - a gathering of about 50 professionals - we counted, there were four of us in the same field who were woman, and a 5th was a secretary. rest of them were boys. In fact, I was running late and my colleague was waiting for me in the coat room cuz she didn't want to go in there alone.

** Also, I skip lunch in the lounge cuz the first two times I went in there the men hooted when I was passing by to pick up lunch. We get premade meal trays- I choose the Friday before and mail them my preference and they have the meals ready for me, so I just picked up the damn thing and ate at my office. I'm sure they meant to be jovial and on a day-to-day basis when I work with them one-on-one it's great but at least in the beginning there were about ten of them hooting and whistling and iw as shy!!! can't believe I had time for that emotion.

I didn't have the confidence to sit them - my fault, actually. they are friendly people. Ok more later.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 pm

PN why are you bullshitting and not addressing bw's main point which is that they segregate in the west too?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:PN why are you bullshitting and not addressing bw's main point which is that they segregate in the west too?
the two examples i gave are of inequality between men and women in the professional setting in the west.  to state it clearly: i think there is segregation and inequality in the west even among educated people.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down