Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which type are you?

+2
MaxEntropy_Man
nevada
6 posters

Go down

which type are you? Empty which type are you?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:47 pm

so ganesh days are going on, and I told everyone that we would be doing pooja/aarti everyday. means no meat for 10 days. Kids asked 2-3 times. So I said, ok then you don't do pooja that day if you eat it. Or like a colleague had given me the solution, take a shower before prayers.

I was following it until now. Today I went out to get food. Wasn't thinking. Got Chicken Teriyaki. Was in the middle of eating it when I saw the lunch thread, suddenly remembered it's ganesh days, and then suddenly remembered I am eating chicken.

What would do if you were me?

throw the rest of the food and feel horribly bad? or
continue eating now that you have done day bhrasht anyway?

I am continuing to eat it. Am I a paapan?

Back to top Go down

which type are you? Empty Re: which type are you?

Post by nevada Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Don't throw, just carefully pack it and store it for later use. Then sincerely pray to God to forgive you.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:07 pm

nevada wrote:Don't throw, just carefully pack it and store it for later use. Then sincerely pray to God to forgive you.

Sad well I could not chew it any more, mental block. so I ate just the noodle part and veggies. threw the chicken part.

Getting all sorts of suggestions now at the other site:

ab ghar jaa ke snan karogi to pakdi jaogi - if you go home and shower, they will know what you did
kis mooh se bachho ko ab bologi tum - what a bad example setting for kids

noodle bhi brasht he honge chiken ke saath reh ke - noodles also have chicken in it now

ab ek he tarika hei prayashchit karneka - only one way to do penance
ab ki baar ganpti bhakt chiken dhoondho aur uski pooja karo - pray a ganesh follower chicken
chikan ko laddu khilao nau din tak - feed laddus to a chicken for 9 days

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:12 pm

what are ganesh days? i only know the one day when we get kozhakkattais and that's over.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what are ganesh days? i only know the one day when we get kozhakkattais and that's over.

I think they are from chauth/chaturthi to anant chaturdashi. From what I remember, on first day we set up the new ganpati. pray both old and new for 10 days. On 10th day we let go (visarjan) of the old one in river/sea. Think juloos and jhaakis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:so ganesh days are going on, and I told everyone that we would be doing pooja/aarti everyday. means no meat for 10 days. Kids asked 2-3 times. So I said, ok then you don't do pooja that day if you eat it. Or like a colleague had given me the solution, take a shower before prayers.

I was following it until now. Today I went out to get food. Wasn't thinking. Got Chicken Teriyaki. Was in the middle of eating it when I saw the lunch thread, suddenly remembered it's ganesh days, and then suddenly remembered I am eating chicken.

>>>Wait, I thought you were a paapan.  Smile (check DMK website)

As to your moral dilemma, it purely comes to how you feel about the situation. I probably would have stopped eating at that point and maybe taken a shower anyway. I have been in a similar situation. I was in India and had ordered at a restaurant. The person I was meeting happened to mention that it was janmashtami and I changed my order to something vegetarian. I am not even particularly religious in the normal sense of the word. I guess a lot of this is conditioning. 

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:so ganesh days are going on, and I told everyone that we would be doing pooja/aarti everyday. means no meat for 10 days. Kids asked 2-3 times. So I said, ok then you don't do pooja that day if you eat it. Or like a colleague had given me the solution, take a shower before prayers.

>>>Wait, I thought you were a paapan.  Smile (check DMK website)

As to your moral dilemma, it purely comes to how you feel about the situation. I probably would have stopped eating at that point and maybe taken a shower anyway. I have been in a similar situation. I was in India and had ordered at a restaurant. The person I was meeting happened to mention that it was janmashtami and I changed my order to something vegetarian. I am not even particularly religious in the normal sense of the word. I guess a lot of this is conditioning. 

But, she is from the Sukracharya lineage.

According to Al-Akbari all Brahmins ate meat and are legally, religiously, morally, and ethically authorized to eat meat.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Chicken is okay. Lord Ganesha would have cast an evil eye on you only if you had eaten elephant teriyaki.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Yes. Now that your sinfulness is established, have a steak for dinner. Indulge wantonly.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down