Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case

+9
indophile
southindian
Seva Lamberdar
MaxEntropy_Man
swapna
truthbetold
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kayalvizhi
13 posters

Go down

Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case Empty Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case

Post by Guest Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 pm

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/us-court-summons-pm-narendra-modi-visit/1/392783.html

---

Back to top Go down

Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case Empty Re: Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case

Post by Guest Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 pm

As PM of India doesn't he have immunity from any prosecution in a US court?

Back to top Go down

Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case Empty Re: Secular counter-attack: US court summons Narendra Modi for 2002 Gujarat riots case

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 pm

The criminal lawyer should submit a letter from State Department that the alleged criminal has diplomatic immunity. It will be done soon.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:The criminal lawyer should submit a letter from State Department that the alleged criminal has diplomatic immunity. It will be done soon.

remember how Sonia dodged the summons by claiming she never entered US and the GoI is refusing to send copies of her passport to the US court as evidence?

This is no big shyt.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:12 am

Rashmun wrote:As PM of India doesn't he have immunity from any prosecution in a US court?
>>>>Very possibly. I don't know for sure, but seems logical. They can throw away the summons and nothing will happen.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:05 am

This was expected. I am not sure if the court can even serve the summons.
Modi will have diplomatic immunity in terms of court actions such requiring to attend etc.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:51 am

I was afraid that this might happen; indeed, I had posted here about that a few weeks ago, alarmed that narenbhai was talking a risk by visiting the u.s. at that time, kris krishnaswamy and sam gowNDer had dismissed my fears more forcefully than they do now.

this "shyt," as the gowNDer quaintly puts it, will not go away, for that's the nature of a well-functioning justice system that does not recognize "vvips" or wealthy persons. it is likely that narenbhai will leave the u.s. this time without having to make a court appearance, because of the 21 days he's given to respond, but he probably will never be allowed to enter the u.s. again.

the odour of this "shyt" will stay for a long time.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:58 am

swapna wrote:I was afraid that this might happen; indeed, I had posted here about that a few weeks ago, alarmed that narenbhai was talking a risk by visiting the u.s. at that time, kris krishnaswamy and sam gowNDer had dismissed my fears more forcefully than they do now.

this "shyt," as the gowNDer quaintly puts it, will not go away, for that's the nature of a well-functioning justice system that does not recognize "vvips" or wealthy persons. it is likely that narenbhai will leave the u.s. this time without having to make a court appearance, because of the 21 days he's given to respond, but he probably will never be allowed to enter the u.s. again.

+1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 am

swapna wrote:I was afraid that this might happen; indeed, I had posted here about that a few weeks ago, alarmed that narenbhai was talking a risk by visiting the u.s. at that time, kris krishnaswamy and sam gowNDer had dismissed my fears more forcefully than they do now.

This is a silly case and should not be entertained by the U.S. courts in the first place. It's like someone bringing charges in Indian, or French, or British, or Russian court against an American allegedly committing an offense in the U.S. It has no logic or legal basis. Even a fifth grader in school can see the flaws and silliness in trying Modi in the U.S. courts for Gujarat riots.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:20 am

Swapna
instead of spreading your ignorance, check aiki for some initial guidance on diplomatic immunity. modi cannot be touched as long as he pm . mod will not be touched as India cannot be pushed around like panama or Chile.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

This is a silly case and should not be entertained by the U.S. courts in the first place. It's like someone bringing charges in Indian, or French, or British, or Russian court against an American allegedly committing an offense in the U.S. It has no logic or legal basis. Even a fifth grader in school can see the flaws and silliness in trying Modi in the U.S. courts for Gujarat riots.

Accepting the foreign cases for trial beyond the U.S. courts' own jurisdiction, such as allegedly involving Modi in Gujarat riots or Sonia / Rahul Gandhi in Delhi riots, is what gives  the U.S. judicial system a bad name and makes it look stupid.

Last edited by Seva Lamberdar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:30 am

>>>. The "odor of this shyt" if it stays for any length of time, is not going to be in Modi's disfavor in today's world. This is aside from the aspects related to diplomatic immunity, frivolous legal action and lack of jurisdiction. What next? A Podunk court issuing a warrant for the Chinese premier?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:46 am

Kris wrote:

>>>. The "odor of this shyt" if it stays for any length of time, is not going to be in Modi's disfavor in today's world. This is aside from the aspects related to diplomatic immunity, frivolous legal action and lack of jurisdiction. What next? A Podunk court issuing a warrant for the Chinese premier?

what is the significance of "today's world" in the first sentence of your post?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Do you think this court has jurisdiction in this case? The rest of my point is actually peripheral.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:05 am

narenbhai has learnt a great deal since 2002 from a multicultural india, about freedom and democracy. he is the best we could muster at this point in our life as a nation. by and large, he is on the right track: on the economy, governance, and foeign relations. (however, he should stop telling the coca cola and the pepsi companies to use fruit juice in their colas.) 

most of all, narenbhai has a vision for a thriving, pleasant india, and is willing to work and lead to fulfill it. for now, and for the foreseeable future, I am behind narenbhai. (i shall continue to reject hindu nationalism and its narrow vision of india, and its organizations that provoke communal strife.)

I shall therefore NOT want narenbhai or the nation distracted by law suits or criminal investigations.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:05 am

Rashmun wrote:http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/us-court-summons-pm-narendra-modi-visit/1/392783.html

---
LOL! What a joke.

A person exonerated thrice by Indian Supreme Court is summoned in a US court? A court and judicial system that has nothing to do with what happened in India. Smile

... and "allegedly educated people" here are discussing this summon with glee. WOW Smile
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>Do you think this court has jurisdiction in this case? The rest of my point is actually peripheral.

I don't know. The fact is that a judge has decided that it is. I remember reading about Nazi war criminals standing trial in the US. Regardless of whether it was peripheral or not, could you clarify what you meant by "today's world"?
>>> It does not. See HA's post. This sort of action happens all the time. What I meant was Geopolitics/Economic leverage. I am not sure why you are hung up on this point.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:09 am

why do I keep seeing posts appearing, disappearing, reappearing over and over? I swear i saw 2 posts, then saw them disappear, then a new post appear. then that 1 post disappeared and the first 2 posts reappeared.

Or I am just having a Friday and need to step away. Arrow

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:10 am

not just you. Something odd going on.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:16 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:why do I keep seeing posts appearing, disappearing, reappearing over and over? I swear i saw 2 posts, then saw them disappear, then a new post appear. then that 1 post disappeared and the first 2 posts reappeared.

May be posters are editing their posts for a more effective presentation of their views.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:17 am

indophile wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:why do I keep seeing posts appearing, disappearing, reappearing over and over? I swear i saw 2 posts, then saw them disappear, then a new post appear. then that 1 post disappeared and the first 2 posts reappeared.

May be posters are editing their posts for a more effective presentation of their views.

3 different posters?

anyway, looks like only swapna's post got lost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:43 pm

When people like you and the Maulanas - who all have no respect for the judiciary or due process and its outcomes - continue to fart and suffer from perennial diarrhea, it will indeed stay forever. But then, people will get used to your stink and just ignore.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

When people like you and the Maulanas - who all have no respect for the judiciary or due process and its outcomes - continue to fart and suffer from perennial diarrhea, it will indeed stay forever.  But then, people will get used to your stink and just ignore.
I disagree.

FlimFlam does have respect of judiciary outcomes and for due process...but he remember the ones that suits him. He forgets the rest.

Its called selective amnesia.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Kris wrote:

It's as silly as some ex-patriot Ukrainians living in America hypothetically going to a U.S. court to charge Putin of "crimes" in Ukraine and the U.S. judge summoning Putin to appear in the U.S. court to face trial.  That will never happen.

As for the mention here of some U.S. courts in the past trying people living in America for being Nazis in Germany during WWII, that was basically to extradite them to Germany to face trial in Germany on charges of their crimes in Germany as Nazis and / or for lying on the applications while seeking residency in the U.S. that they had never been Nazi party members.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:35 pm

swapna wrote:

narenbhai has learnt a great deal since 2002 from a multicultural india, about freedom and democracy. he is the best we could muster at this point in our life as a nation. by and large, he is on the right track: on the economy, governance, and foeign relations. (however, he should stop telling the coca cola and the pepsi companies to use fruit juice in their colas.) 

most of all, narenbhai has a vision for a thriving, pleasant india, and is willing to work and lead to fulfill it. for now, and for the foreseeable future, I am behind narenbhai. (i shall continue to reject hindu nationalism and its narrow vision of india, and its organizations that provoke communal strife.)

I shall therefore NOT want narenbhai or the nation distracted by law suits or criminal investigations.

Shocked Shocked now this post is back and other two disappeared.

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:37 pm

LOL! rofl

Just six months ago, if anyone had mentioned that Modi would visit the US within six months and receive a hero's welcome, the very same people who are talking up this summons would have laughed it off with disbelief. So, why should we pay any attention to their warnings and predictions now?

Let me counter your prediction that, "he probably will never be allowed to enter the u.s. again", with my own prediction: Modi will be back in the US within 1-2 years, have a nice honorable visit and return back to India.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

I don't know. The fact is that a judge has decided that it is. I remember reading about Nazi war criminals standing trial in the US. Regardless of whether it was peripheral or not, could you clarify what you meant by "today's world"?
>>> It does not. See HA's post. This sort of action happens all the time. What I meant was Geopolitics/Economic leverage. I am not sure why you are hung up on this point.

does "today's world" and "geopolitics" in this context mean the following? the majority of the victims in the riots that followed the train burning incidents are co-religionists with the group responsible for much of the terrorism around the world. therefore, people around the world will look kindly upon modi, i.e. "the shyt" will not linger. i wish you'd be clearer and more blunt if that was your message. if that's not what you meant, i still don't get it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:>>> It does not. See HA's post. This sort of action happens all the time. What I meant was Geopolitics/Economic leverage. I am not sure why you are hung up on this point.

does "today's world" and "geopolitics" in this context mean the following? the majority of the victims in the riots that followed the train burning incidents are co-religionists with the group responsible for much of the terrorism around the world.  therefore, people around the world will look kindly upon modi, i.e. "the shyt" will not linger. i wish you'd be clearer and more blunt if that was your message. if that's not what you meant, i still don't get it.
To put it bluntly, US waged two wars when 3-4 planes rammed into their buildings. They are doing the air strikes now (even when the ultra liberal Obama is at the helm) when a couple of their citizens were beheaded. They can very well understand the rage of the mobs after two bogies were set on fire, burning women and children alive. The whole world is sick and tired of Islamic fundamentalism. You may hate this, but no one gives a shyt about 'the shyt'. People in India didn't give a shyt to it. People of the world won't give a shyt to it either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:>>> It does not. See HA's post. This sort of action happens all the time. What I meant was Geopolitics/Economic leverage. I am not sure why you are hung up on this point.

does "today's world" and "geopolitics" in this context mean the following? the majority of the victims in the riots that followed the train burning incidents are co-religionists with the group responsible for much of the terrorism around the world.  therefore, people around the world will look kindly upon modi, i.e. "the shyt" will not linger. i wish you'd be clearer and more blunt if that was your message. if that's not what you meant, i still don't get it.
To put it bluntly, US waged two wars when 3-4 planes rammed into their buildings. They are doing the air strikes now (even when the ultra liberal Obama is at the helm) when a couple of their citizens were beheaded. They can very well understand the rage of the mobs after two bogies were set on fire, burning women and children alive. The whole world is sick and tired of Islamic fundamentalism. You may hate this, but no one gives a shyt about 'the shyt'. People in India didn't give a shyt to it. People of the world won't give a shyt to it either.

Yesterday at work a black guy and a white redneck both were discussing Oklahoma beheading, and their comments on IS, iSlam, and muslims would make SuChers look like Gandhian....Ironically, I did not participate in their discussion and was studying them.

I think the entire muslim community is into suicide mission to kill their own relevance, credibility, and respect among the world citizens.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

You're right, they don't give a shyt but shyt in their pants and break the bank like the US did and is doing.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Yesterday at work a black guy and a white redneck both were discussing Oklahoma beheading, and their comments on IS, iSlam, and muslims would make SuChers look like Gandhian....Ironically, I did not participate in their discussion and was studying them.

I think the entire muslim community is into suicide mission to kill their own relevance, credibility, and respect among the world citizens.
Same with my 66 yr old white manager. She has all her support for the US air strives, believes that those muslims need to contained, if ignored, they are going to be a threat to the whole world. Ppl are totally disgusted. When the peaceful, soft and pacifist hindus are drawn to the edge, i guess anyone else can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

does "today's world" and "geopolitics" in this context mean the following? the majority of the victims in the riots that followed the train burning incidents are co-religionists with the group responsible for much of the terrorism around the world.  therefore, people around the world will look kindly upon modi, i.e. "the shyt" will not linger

>>>>No, not my point. 

i wish you'd be clearer and more blunt if that was your message

>>Sure, it it were my point, it would be a stupid one, considering an american jury probably would be unclear on the difference between modi and mohamed and wouldn't get to see any evidence on modi since there is none. The court would be foolish to try a case from 12 years ago in which the accused has been acquitted already in a free country which has an established legal system, after being hounded over for more than a decade. This is apart from the aspect of the court having 0 jurisdiction over the matter. If anything, the prosecution should be held in contempt of court for this frivolous lawsuit.

if that's not what you meant, i still don't get it. 

>>>Here is a hint: why do you think the US has been trying to cultivate India's friendship over the past couple of decades? Also, see RE's G-2 thread.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 pm

swapna wrote:

what a fucking joke, right? I mean you say whatever you want to about NM but if I dared say even a single positive thing about modi, secular-elites would've called me a hindu chaddi bitch. you included. all fucking losers with double-standards due to whom I censor myself.

i suppose the secular-elites didn't criticize this post of yours cuz they're in awe of your patriotism, you know, you putting aside the minority card for the moment.

of course, the minority card is not for a well-educated, wealthy, worldly person like yourself who has the means to achieve anything he pleases. and the intelligence to get justice for himself if wronged. the minority card is for the truly poor and under-privileged people of indina society. not for you. not for maria.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:24 am

pravalika nanda wrote:
swapna wrote:

what a fucking joke, right? I mean you say whatever you want to about NM but if I dared say even a single positive thing about modi, secular-elites would've called me a hindu chaddi bitch. you included. all fucking losers with double-standards due to whom I censor myself.

i suppose the secular-elites didn't criticize this post of yours cuz they're in awe of your patriotism, you know, you putting aside the minority card for the moment.

of course, the minority card is not for a well-educated, wealthy, worldly person like yourself who has the means to achieve anything he pleases. and the intelligence to get justice for himself if wronged. the minority card is for the truly poor and under-privileged people of indina society. not for you. not for maria.

woman, jokes don't fuck; by your own account, even you don't.

on more important matters, neither i nor my family have ever considered ourselves minorities; we are not classified as minorities, and don't want to be. indeed, i've not come across any syrian christian who considers him/herself a minority. you can ask maria about herself. we pay the taxes with which the "low"-caste people you hindus marginalized - at least 50% of india's population - are being rehabilatated as human beings.

the only person here who has played the minority card is your old friend, "ponz." remember him? the other tamilians here - all of them brahmins - cast their eyes downward when he insisted that he deserved special, compensatory treatment for what his ancestors were deprived of. deprived by whom? guess.

do try to learn something about india before you shoot your mouth off. you're not indian merely because you're dark, watch tasteless indian movies, believe that indian culture is represented by the mango leaves that decorate your doorways at festival time, in queens, new york - you once said that! - and your parents speak "vierd" english "ewwerydDay." if you consider yourself american, that's okay, but please STFU about india until you educate yourself adequately.

btw, both my children have worked in india, in their own fields. they were at harvard u and u.c. berkeley when they did that. never once did they complain about their experiences.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down