Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TN state board textbooks

+2
Kayalvizhi
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

TN state board textbooks Empty TN state board textbooks

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:34 pm

i didn't realize there are kannada, telugu, and urdu medium schools under the TN state board, in addition to tamil and english medium schools!

http://www.textbooksonline.tn.nic.in/Std10.htm

and the languages one can study instead of tamil include kannada, telugu, sanskrit, malayalam, and urdu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

TN state board textbooks Empty Re: TN state board textbooks

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i didn't realize there are kannada, telugu, and urdu medium schools under the TN state board, in addition to tamil and english medium schools!

and the languages one can study instead of tamil include kannada, telugu, sanskrit, malayalam, and urdu.

adding insult to injury lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i didn't realize there are kannada, telugu, and urdu medium schools under the TN state board, in addition to tamil and english medium schools!

only one language is conspicuous by its absence.  Very Happy

i think however, that there are more languages besides the ones listed. for example i have friends who took french and yes hindi too. but the govt's free textbooks (on the web) are only these. the point is that those who carp about tamilians' parochialism can shove it where the sun don't shine. there is plenty of freedom to do what one wants. more i imagine than other places in india.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:44 pm

My policy is reciprocation.

If Tamil medium is allowed in Maharashtra in schools with 20% Tamil students, do the same for Marathi in TN.

If Tamil language is taught in Gujarat in schools with 10% Tamil students, do the same for Gujarati in TN.

I think that TN is more liberal than some other states.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

i think however, that there are more languages besides the ones listed. for example i have friends who took french and yes hindi too. but the govt's free textbooks (on the web) are only these. the point is that those who carp about tamilians' parochialism can shove it where the sun don't shine. there is plenty of freedom to do what one wants. more i imagine than other places in india.

yeah, that reminds me of a recent incident. a bunch of us were discussing some NaMo speech. A madrasi from madras, probably in his 30s, mentioned something about it being in Hindi and then he continued with some content of the speech. Normally, I would not have noticed anything unusual, but now that I am a veteran sucher, I instantly did and wanted to know if he saw some translated version or the Hindi version. So I asked him if he knows Hindi. He said he does as he learned it back home, but is a little out of practice now. So I concluded wisely, 'ah ok, you learned it in school?', now that I know that Hindi is an option in TN schools. He said, 'yeah in school, and I also joined some Hindi coaching classes later'.

Point being, if there are Hindi private coaching classes in Chennai, more than one people who I know must be going to it. Why though?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:54 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

yeah, that reminds me of a recent incident. a bunch of us were discussing some NaMo speech. A madrasi from madras, probably in his 30s, mentioned something about it being in Hindi and then he continued with some content of the speech. Normally, I would not have noticed anything unusual, but now that I am a veteran sucher, I instantly did and wanted to know if he saw some translated version or the Hindi version. So I asked him if he knows Hindi. He said he does as he learned it back home, but is a little out of practice now. So I concluded wisely, 'ah ok, you learned it in school?', now that I know that Hindi is an option in TN schools. He said, 'yeah in school, and I also joined some Hindi coaching classes later'.

Point being, if there are Hindi private coaching classes in Chennai, more than one people who I know must be going to it. Why though?

maybe they want post office jobs in meerut or want to watch and enjoy dil deewana movies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 pm

maybe they want post office jobs in meerut or want to watch and enjoy dil deewana movies.

---
Smile

Last edited by FluteHolder on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

deleted prev post... makes sense, to find jobs in another state that has to deal with the local public. a doctor aunty i know, had to learn gujarati in 15 days to even qualify for an interview for a hospital in Baroda.

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Max, you are truly out of touch. A lot.

I visit Tamil Nadu 3+ times a year and the state has changed over the years since your 1980s, early 90s days.

You need to visit TN more often so you can provide correct information to SuCHers..... Or you can just Google.

This is an old article from 2009 and things have changed since then.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQkcvMjAwOS8wMi8wMyNBcjAxMTAx

BK, the kids learning Hindi in TN today are not unfit in 2014 TN. In addition they find themselves easy to go along in Karnataka, Kerala and Andra areas.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:20 pm

guess the schools offer hindi, and the students opt for hindi, but as far as the TN govt is concerned, hindi is absent from their books.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:28 pm

southindian wrote:

I visit Tamil Nadu 3+ times a year and the state has changed over the years since your 1980s, early 90s days.

You need to visit TN more often so you can provide correct information to SuCHers..... Or you can just Google.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JQkcvMjAwOS8wMi8wMyNBcjAxMTAx

BK, the kids learning Hindi in TN today are not unfit in 2014 TN. In addition they find themselves easy to go along in Karnataka, Kerala and Andra areas.

i am not out of touch. it has always been this way and this is what i've been saying all along. what tamilians object to is preachiness from northindians such as yourself. tamilians will learn the languages they need to, as they always have, because it is in their economic interest to do so, and it enriches their lives.

by contrast those from northindia who live for decades in TN and karnataka working at institutes like the IIT or the central leather research institute, never learn tamil or kannada and communicate with local vegetable vendors and household help through sign language. that said, the women are a little better than the men. some of them immigrate to the US and never learn english, you being a case in point.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm

i must say the physics and math textbooks have improved a lot, though they are still not good enough compared to say the AP textbooks in the US, or even CBSE textbooks. i was just browsing through them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

maybe they want post office jobs in meerut or madurai (TN) or want to watch and enjoy dil deewana movies.

Red added yo reflect ground realities. You better pass a Hindi exam within the 1st year of employment at Madurai (TN) post office or hell will break loose from the Hindi Enforcement Department regional office.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

deleted prev post... makes sense, to find jobs in another state that has to deal with the local public. a doctor aunty i know, had to learn gujarati in 15 days to even qualify for an interview for a hospital in Baroda.

Yet Indian gov conytrolled offices of banks, insurance, rail station are staffed with Hindians who cannot read Tamil. That is India that is Hindia. The power of Hindi.

Now they have removed English exam for preliminary IAS exams too. Expect Hindian IAS collectors in Thanjavur (TN) who knows neither Tamil nor English.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:42 pm

i just noted two terrible errors in the chemistry textbooks. just as sucky as i remember mine. these aren't typos but horrible conceptual errors. and i wasn't even trying to look for mistakes. ways to go still.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
southindian wrote:

i am not out of touch. it has always been this way and this is what i've been saying all along.  what tamilians object to is preachiness from northindians such as yourself. tamilians will learn the languages they need to, as they always have, because it is in their economic interest to do so, and it enriches their lives.  

by contrast those from northindia who live for decades in TN and karnataka working at institutes like the IIT or the central leather research institute, never learn tamil or kannada and communicate with local vegetable vendors and household help through sign language. that said, the women are a little better than the men. some of them immigrate to the US and never learn english, you being a case in point.
Wrong again. I know Punjabi sardars, Assamese and people from other northindian states living in TN speaking tamil as good anyone else.

Tamil does not belong to any particular southindian. Nobody owns the language or state Tamil Nadu.

You are just too out of touch with ground realities in TN. You are stuck in past time and can't come out of it.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 pm

southindian wrote:
Wrong again. I know Punjabi sardars, Assamese and people from other northindian states living in TN speaking tamil as good anyone else.

Tamil does not belong to any particular southindian. Nobody owns the language or state Tamil Nadu.

You are just too out of touch with ground realities in TN. You are stuck in past time and can't come out of it.

>> I know Punjabi sardars, Assamese and people from other northindian states living in TN speaking tamil as good anyone else.

I don't think they speak as good as anyone else, but many Punjabis and Assamese do speak some Tamil. I think Max may be referring to Hindians when he said nothindians.
Hindians of BIMAEU are the only problem immigrants

>>Tamil does not belong to any particular southindian. Nobody owns the language or state Tamil Nadu.

Tamil and Tamilnadu belong to Tamils. Others can learn Tamil, use Tamil, teach Tamil. Others can live in TB with permission from TN gocernment

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

This way they can read / write Hindi in the (modified) Persian / Farsi script.... don't have to use the Devanagri script all the time.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:29 pm

haha, i know this thread has now set off cut and paste diarrhea man.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:59 pm

A few months back while I was visiting my cousin in Chennai I was surprised to find that her son took Hindi and daughter took Sanskrit in school. I was miffed that the kids weren't taking Tamil. Her sorry explanation was her kids took those languages in order to get good grades. "In  public exams, my children stand no chance competing against kids from the rurual areas in Tamil," was her comment.

It had nothing to do with learning a link language or improving job prospects. Just grades.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Tamil teachers are misers in giving grades. Grades in Tamil, Sanskrit, Hindi, French should be normalized so that techers misery do not affect grades.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Tamil teachers are misers in giving grades. Grades in Tamil, Sanskrit, Hindi, French should be normalized so that techers misery do not affect grades.

right. this is one reason students opt for non-tamil languages -- to score high marks in the public exam. for students who were applying to pilani this was a significant problem because they considered the total marks in grade 12, not just math, physics, and chem.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:18 pm

on top of the public exam, in grades 8, 10, and 12 i remember writing an exam called thamizh mandra thervu. this was the real test of one's command over tamil.  the actual public exam was a piece of cake compared to the mandra thervu which was a tough exam. if you scored well in that exam, it was a given you were going to ace the public exam.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 pm

>> thamizh mandra thervu'

Is it compulsory? Do the grades count towards anything>

It is a private exam, not offered by the board.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>> thamizh mandra thervu'

Is it compulsory? Do the grades count towards anything>

It is a private exam, not offered by the board.

no the grades don't count towards anything, but i wrote it all three years and did well.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down