Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mathematics and the SAT

+2
garam_kuta
michelle2
6 posters

Go down

mathematics and the SAT Empty mathematics and the SAT

Post by michelle2 Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:43 pm

the SAT is being changed. the new test will be introduced in a couple of years. here's an article about the SAT, the ACT, and competence in mathematics and reading.

SAT scores drop in math

in the article, an official of the college board explains the reasons for the change, but nowhere does s/he address the real reason why, in my opinion, neither the current SAT nor the ACT is a useful test of high-school math competence. i suspect that, even after the planned changes are made, the SAT will remain a poor assessor of the math competence of students who are about to enter college.

a few relatively minor changes will render the SAT and school math tests and quizzes enormously more effective. these, in the order of their importance, are:

1. the complete elimination of multiple-choice questions;

2. scoring all that the student has written or said - including the analysis of the problem, and the synthesis of a solution - rather than only the final answer;

3. nearly unlimited time to complete the test.

i believe that, with these changes, a high-school student's math knowledge and competence can be tested adequately with six to twelve well-chosen problems. there will be practical impediments to bringing about these changes, in particular, the need for more teachers per student; organizations will have to overcome them if they value members of society who are competent in mathematics.

i was recently helping a 7th- or 8th-grade student with her math. she knows that 2$/3 cans of corn is a unit rate, but didn't know that that means that each can costs 2/3 $, or that 17 cans will therefore cost 17 times 2/3 $. it is also doubtful that she knows what "each" or "per" means. she is black, attends a public school, and is probably not well off, but her mother is keen that she learn. the whites, on average, are better at math.

this, dear "boyz n gurrlz," is the state of mathematics in america, much like the state of sanitation in india.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

mathematics and the SAT Empty Re: mathematics and the SAT

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Do you use one of those websites to match tutors w/students? I was trying to find one for d, turns out the usual rate is 40/hour. wth. Decided to first resolve all the attitude issues and then sat her down for math as well as physics last week. Physics was much more successful. Actually she came to me for quiz help, but I decided to take it 5 steps back and began from the basics (needed to brush up myself). Picked up a random website and did 25-30 questions from it, over 2-3 hours, until she began flying off with the solutions. Helped a lot in the school quiz as well. To the point that she actually wants to work with me in future (used to shun me before).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:10 pm

regarding your own student. guess first learn to use the current terms/methods that are used in her school, then use the same. kids get completely thrown off if they see a new method. Try sending a questionnaire to her teacher (via her mom) in the school for any syllabus/book query. Mostly they provide that happily.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:18 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Do you use one of those websites to match tutors w/students? I was trying to find one for d, turns out the usual rate is 40/hour. wth. Decided to first resolve all the attitude issues and then sat her down for math as well as physics last week. Physics was much more successful. Actually she came to me for quiz help, but I decided to take it 5 steps back and began from the basics (needed to brush up myself). Picked up a random website and did 25-30 questions from it, over 2-3 hours, until she began flying off with the solutions. Helped a lot in the school quiz as well. To the point that she actually wants to work with me in future (used to shun me before).

no, the thoughts that i expressed were stimulated by the article i linked, and a couple of books i've been reading. regardless of what anyone says about the best way to teach math or to test competence, you'll still need to pay attention to the way your child's school teaches and tests, and perhaps compensate for that.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:45 pm

michelle2 wrote:
1. the complete elimination of multiple-choice questions;

2. scoring all that the student has written or said - including the analysis of the problem, and the synthesis of a solution - rather than only the final answer;

3. nearly unlimited time to complete the test.

for kids, there is always method-training to beat the system; however, i know for a fact that this is a very good method to identify best talent for admission to a research institution i.e., select the outliers and groom them separately for innovations.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:01 pm

What is your view on GRE and GMAT tests?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:12 pm

common core is going to make them even dumber. whoever came up with it deserves to be spat on.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:11 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:common core is going to make them even dumber. whoever came up with it deserves to be spat on.

what about common core do you dislike?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:common core is going to make them even dumber. whoever came up with it deserves to be spat on.
Whoa! That's a strong word! What happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Do you use one of those websites to match tutors w/students? I was trying to find one for d, turns out the usual rate is 40/hour. wth. Decided to first resolve all the attitude issues and then sat her down for math as well as physics last week. Physics was much more successful. Actually she came to me for quiz help, but I decided to take it 5 steps back and began from the basics (needed to brush up myself). Picked up a random website and did 25-30 questions from it, over 2-3 hours, until she began flying off with the solutions. Helped a lot in the school quiz as well. To the point that she actually wants to work with me in future (used to shun me before).

You might want to try online SAT tutors from India. I heard some of them are good (I am sorry, I don't know who they are). I just googled "SAT tutors India" and there are many of them. I am posting one link here that says $12/hour. I believe that's on the high side.

http://laplace-louisiana.olx.com/online-tutorig-fom-india-at-12-iid-8237175

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:40 pm

indophile wrote:

You might want to try online SAT tutors from India. I heard some of them are good (I am sorry, I don't know who they are). I just googled "SAT tutors India" and there are many of them. I am posting one link here that says $12/hour. I believe that's on the high side.

I will see how much I can manage myself, considering money is an issue for me and subject + time isn't. My only hurdle is her own willingness. She does sit next to me sometimes now while solving the equations for homework. I only overlook, and mostly don't have to interfere except regular 'hmms' of assurance. I jump in only when she asks.

edit: am talking about school work. For SAT I had signed her up for an expensive summer course, and I might add her in another one soon. She already has a lot of SAT material, but for now is not devoting time to it, except for vocab once in a while.

Last edited by Beatrix Kiddo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
indophile wrote:

I will see how much I can manage myself, considering money is an issue for me and subject + time isn't. My only hurdle is her own willingness. She does sit next to me sometimes now while solving the equations for homework. I only overlook, and mostly don't have to interfere except regular 'hmms' of assurance. I jump in only when she asks.
I heard that kids should also practice with a stop clock (for each question, that is) that rings when the time is up.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down