Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked

3 posters

Go down

Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked Empty Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Many of my fellow Muslims are trying to reform Islam from within. Yet our voices are smothered in the West by Islamist apologists and their well-meaning but unwitting allies on the left. For instance, if you try to draw attention to the stark correlation between the rise of Islamic religiosity and regressive attitudes toward women, you’re labeled an Islamophobe.

In America, other contemporary ideologies are routinely and openly debated in classrooms, newspapers, on talk shows and in living rooms. But Americans make an exception for Islamism. Criticism of the religion—even in abstraction—is conflated with bigotry toward Muslims. There is no public discourse, much less an ideological response, to Islamism, in academia or on Capitol Hill. This trend is creating an intellectual vacuum, where poisonous ideas are allowed to propagate unchecked.

My own experience as a Muslim in New York bears this out. Socially progressive, self-proclaimed liberals, who would denounce even the slightest injustice committed against women or minorities in America, are appalled when I express a similar criticism about my own community.

Compare the collective response after each harrowing high-school shooting in America. Intellectuals and public figures look for the root cause of the violence and ask: Why? Yet when I ask why after every terrorist attack, the disapproval I get from my non-Muslim peers is visceral: The majority of Muslims are not violent, they insist, the jihadists are a minority who don’t represent Islam, and I am fear-mongering by even wondering aloud.
In the U.S., we Muslims are handled like exotic flowers that will crumble if our faith is criticized—even if we do it ourselves. Meanwhile, Republicans and Democrats alike would apparently prefer to drop bombs in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and beyond, because killing Muslims is somehow less offensive than criticizing their religion? Unfortunately, you can’t kill an idea with a bomb, and so Islamism will continue to propagate. Muslims must tolerate civilized public debate of the texts and scripture that inform Islamism. To demand any less of us is to engage in the soft bigotry of low expectations
http://online.wsj.com/articles/aly-salem-lets-talk-about-how-islam-has-been-hijacked-1414365802

Looks like this author is a wing-nut in the guise of a reformer. I doubt any liberal, for example would support subjugation of women, muslim or not, and for the most part liberals are fighting the fight on behalf of those muslims with similar views expressed by the author in this piece. He couldn't have been more wrong with his labels.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked Empty Re: Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:33 pm

what kinda nut are you and what disguise do you normally go under, comrade mulla reddy?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked Empty Re: Let’s Talk About How Islam Has Been Hijacked

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:what kinda nut are you and what disguise do you normally go under, comrade mulla reddy?

Looks like he has been trained well by "Al-Akbari" the cut/vomit pattern is too obvious. The post are getting longer, and posts are being dissected selectively.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down