Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians

2 posters

Go down

Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians Empty Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:49 pm

I was surprised to learn that Urdu was the medium of instruction in primary and high schools in Northern India till partition, majority of NIs in those times couldn't read or write in Hindi language but well versed in Urdu. A friend of mine from U.P was telling me that his parents, uncles etc., belong to this category. Hindi didn't really take off till the '60s.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians Empty Re: Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:I was surprised to learn that Urdu was the medium of instruction in primary and high schools in Northern India till partition, majority of NIs in those times couldn't read or write in Hindi language but well versed in Urdu. A friend of mine from U.P was telling me that his parents, uncles etc., belong to this category. Hindi didn't really take off till the '60s.

If you hear a Pakistani talking and a Hindian talking there is literally no difference. But the Pakistani claims it as Urdu and Hindian claims it as Hindi. They used to have the same urdu script before Independence and due to the Hindu-Muslim animosities and the lead role played by Urdu speaking Muslims in partition, Hindians eliminated Urdu script and chose devanagari script making a whole generation illiterate overnite. That is why they cannot read or write. 

Eventually when India disintegrates, that will be the position of Hindi as well.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians Empty Re: Hindi skills of post-independence first generation Indians

Post by Guest Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:I was surprised to learn that Urdu was the medium of instruction in primary and high schools in Northern India till partition, majority of NIs in those times couldn't read or write in Hindi language but well versed in Urdu. A friend of mine from U.P was telling me that his parents, uncles etc., belong to this category. Hindi didn't really take off till the '60s.

If you hear a Pakistani talking and a Hindian talking there is literally no difference. But the Pakistani claims it as Urdu and Hindian claims it as Hindi. They used to have the same urdu script before Independence and due to the Hindu-Muslim animosities and the lead role played by Urdu speaking Muslims in partition, Hindians eliminated Urdu script and chose devanagari script making a whole generation illiterate overnite. That is why they cannot read or write. 

Eventually when India disintegrates, that will be the position of Hindi as well.

India will disintegrate only in your dreams, LTTE moron.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down