Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

questions

+2
MaxEntropy_Man
michelle2
6 posters

Go down

questions Empty questions

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:18 pm

some questions that occurred to me while watching this video at a site linked by a suCH poster:

1. are the oo-oo-ooo-ing women in white dresses the iyer sisters?

2. why are da boyz wearing dark suits? why are the grrls wearing dresses? are there no indian clothes or styles?

3. right at the beginning, the suited fella in spectacles says, "spritTe? tTooka wearinswin..." what does "tTooka wearinswin" mean? what language is it in?

please help.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

questions Empty Re: questions

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm

michelle2 wrote:some questions that occurred to me while watching this video at a site linked by a suCH poster:

2. why are da boyz wearing dark suits? why are the grrls wearing dresses? are there no indian clothes or styles?

3. right at the beginning, the suited fella in spectacles says, "spritTe? tTooka wearinswin..." what does "tTooka wearinswin" mean? what language is it in?

please help.

1) no clue.

2) maybe they are wussy southern indians who have been teased excessively about lungis and vEshtis.

3) for the life of me, i couldn't figure that one out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:some questions that occurred to me while watching this video at a site linked by a suCH poster:

please help.

1) no clue.

2) maybe they are wussy southern indians who have been teased excessively about lungis and vEshtis.

thanks, max. it's good to see young indians having fun.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 pm

michelle2 wrote:

total aside: were you ever able to interest your kids in PGW? i've tried, but they just don't seem to connect. older d is currently reading "the sound and the fury" in school and seems consumed by it. utterly depressing and difficult book, but she seems to like it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

please help.

1) no clue.

At least they are aping the west, not the north indians. Got to feel happy about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:27 pm

please help.

I can't understand the guy's accent. Perhaps, "Took A.R. instruments" meaning Rahman. The piece of music is from Roja. Not a bad attempt.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

total aside: were you ever able to interest your kids in PGW? i've tried, but they just don't seem to connect. older d is currently reading "the sound and the fury" in school and seems consumed by it. utterly depressing and difficult book, but she seems to like it.

i tried briefly, but gave up quickly. most american novels are dismal; it's as if the culture prescribes bleakness as a necessary, indeed, main, ingredient of great writing. however, i sympathize with high-schoolers in the u.s.; they are busy, probably over-worked, and are required to read extraordinarily serious books and write reports on them.

you might try a book by the american humorist, david sedaris. his latest is "let's explore diabetes with owls."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

If you are a sharp listener, look for "context"..and are interested in what people say- you connect the dots..it's not hard at all, you can figure out what any person says..even with all the cryptic talk and nuances..Human Communication 101.

"Sprite-took-away-our-instruments"..."so-here's-what-we did"

And the rest is obvious; using different glass objects ("The glass Orchestra"..hello!) to make sounds recreating their version of ARR's popular songf "Puthu Vellai mazhai ingu pozhiginrathu" (The new white rain is falling here now) from the movie "Roja". 

If you are not really interested, look down on people, based on their accent..appearance..nothing they say in a language you know - and speak with your own unique accent and way.. may sound gibberish!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Maria S wrote:If you are a sharp listener, look for "context"..and are interested in what people say- you connect the dots..it's not hard at all, you can figure out what any person says..even with all the cryptic talk and nuances..Human Communication 101.

And the rest is obvious; using different glass objects ("The glass Orchestra"..hello!) to make sounds recreating their version of ARR's popular songf "Puthu Vellai mazhai ingu pozhiginrathu" (The new white rain is falling here now) from the movie "Roja". 

If you are not really interested, look down on people, based on their accent..appearance..nothing they say in a language you know - and speak with your own unique accent and way.. may sound gibberish!

thanks! there was no looking down. i really couldn't figure out that sentence. i consider myself very capable of understanding difficult accents. in particular, over the years, i have become very adept at figuring out thick chinese accents. but that sentence defeated me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Maria S wrote:If you are a sharp listener, look for "context"..and are interested in what people say- you connect the dots..it's not hard at all, you can figure out what any person says..even with all the cryptic talk and nuances..Human Communication 101.

thank you, ms. maria; i'm glad that you're here to impart knowledge and wisdom.

perhaps you can also tell me what "puthu vellai mazhai" is. it sounds like "new, white rain," but what's white rain?

i'm afraid i don't understand what you say at the end: "if you are not really interested,... nothing they say... may sound gibberish."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:51 pm

michelle2 wrote:

thank you, ms. maria; i'm glad that you're here to impart knowledge and wisdom.

perhaps you can also tell me what "puthu vellai mazhai" is. it sounds like "new, white rain," but what's white rain?

i'm afraid i don't understand what you say at the end: "if you are not really interested,... nothing they say... may sound gibberish."

I'm glad I am here too (or anywhere for that matter), when there is "good energy and positive vibes". 

White Rain = Snow.

Here's the original song video.."Puthu vellai mazhai"..

I shall leave now, have imparted enough knowledge and wisdom..for one day.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Maria, you have to be around people who speak like that to discern what they are saying. After reading your response on what it is, I am stumped. I listened to it several times and couldn't make out. It is no offense not to know an Indian accent you are unfamiliar with.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:19 pm

GC,

Of course, it's not an offense..and understandable..having some difficulty when it comes to accents which are unfamiliar to us. 
The young man was speaking too fast..if he would have spoken slowly..it would be much easier to understand. 

Anyways, before everything turns too serious..and had to be dissected and refuted..we'll move on..feel free to ignore my comment! Thanks.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 pm

GC, I couldnot get it first time. Since I read your answer, I was thinking he is saying 'AR Rahman'. Still I did not get the last word. 'Check out our Sprite ????' (????-quotient/question)

Nice attempt though.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 pm

Maria S wrote:GC,

Of course, it's not an offense..and understandable..having some difficulty when it comes to accents which are unfamiliar to us. 
The young man was speaking too fast..if he would have spoken slowly..it would be much easier to understand. 

Anyways, before everything turns too serious..and had to be dissected and refuted..we'll move on..feel free to ignore my comment! Thanks.

Yes, he speaks very fast. I just saw Flutie's response and he too seems to be baffled. Glad you deciphered it for us! Smile

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:GC,

Yes, he speaks very fast. I just saw Flutie's response and he too seems to be baffled. Glad you deciphered it for us! Smile

it's not just a question of speaking fast. it's also because he breaks up syllables at odd and unusual places, and then stitches them together in unexpected ways.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 pm

FluteHolder wrote:GC, I couldnot get it first time. Since I read your answer, I was thinking he is saying 'AR Rahman'. Still I did not get the last word. 'Check out our Sprite ????' (????-quotient/question)

Nice attempt though.
Apparently it is, "Sprite, took away our instruments.." justifying their using unconventional and inventive sounds. My interpretation was way off! Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:GC, I couldnot get it first time. Since I read your answer, I was thinking he is saying 'AR Rahman'. Still I did not get the last word. 'Check out our Sprite ????' (????-quotient/question)

Nice attempt though.
Apparently it is, "Sprite, took away our instruments.." justifying their using unconventional and inventive sounds. My interpretation was way off! Laughing

You are right. That's what I heard and he says "and so here is what we did" or something like that.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down