Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uttar Pradesh rejects regionalism

Go down

Uttar Pradesh rejects regionalism Empty Uttar Pradesh rejects regionalism

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Two out of the 80 Lok Sabha seats of U.P. are currently being occupied by people from Andhra Pradesh--Jaya Prada and Mohammad Azharuddin.

Back to top Go down

Uttar Pradesh rejects regionalism Empty Re: Uttar Pradesh rejects regionalism

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 pm

By your own logic: Andhra Pradesh rejected regionalism 20 years before UP finally figured out how to do it. AP elected Indira Gandhi to the Lok Sabha although she is from UP.

The very name Uttar Pradesh smacks of regionalism. And all your posts about it... regionalism gone berserk!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 pm

charvaka wrote:By your own logic: Andhra Pradesh rejected regionalism 20 years before UP finally figured out how to do it. AP elected Indira Gandhi to the Lok Sabha although she is from UP.

The very name Uttar Pradesh smacks of regionalism. And all your posts about it... regionalism gone berserk!

--> It
would make perfect sense if the nationalist leaders of U.P. like Pandit
Nehru wished to retain the initials U.P. of United Provinces so that it
would be convenient for people across India to keep referring to the
state by the same name they were using earlier, and the best name they
could come up with was 'Uttar Pradesh'.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:By your own logic: Andhra Pradesh rejected regionalism 20 years before UP finally figured out how to do it. AP elected Indira Gandhi to the Lok Sabha although she is from UP.

--> It
Haha... so they chose a regionalistic name because it would have good initials? Regionalism gone berserk, it sounds like!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Correct me if i am wrong but was it not Karnataka which elected Indira Gandhi to the Lok Sabha. The constituency she won from (Chikmagalur) is in Karnataka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:37 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

--> It
Haha... so they chose a regionalistic name because it would have good initials? Regionalism gone berserk, it sounds like!

That is one plausible explanation because as i explained earlier it is not possible to accuse people of the stature of Pandit Nehru (whose home state was U.P.) of regionalism.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Correct me if i am wrong but was it not Karnataka which elected Indira Gandhi to the Lok Sabha. The constituency she won from (Chikmagalur) is in Karnataka.
So Karnataka was also ahead of UP when it came to rejecting regionalism, per your logic! Sounds like UP is a real latecomer to the party of "rejecting regionalism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medak_%28Lok_Sabha_constituency%29#Members_of_Parliament
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikmagalur_%28Lok_Sabha_constituency%29#Members_of_Parliament
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:it is not possible to accuse people of the stature of Pandit Nehru of regionalism.
Why not? If he chose the name for UP, he did choose a regionalistic name. If he chose it because of what initials it would have, that was a classic case of regionalism gone berserk!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

So Karnataka was also ahead of UP when it came to rejecting regionalism, per your logic! Sounds like UP is a real latecomer to the party of "rejecting regionalism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medak_%28Lok_Sabha_constituency%29#Members_of_Parliament
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikmagalur_%28Lok_Sabha_constituency%29#Members_of_Parliament

--> So she had won Lok Sabha elections from both Medak (Andhra Pradesh) and Chikmagalur (Karnataka).

--> But there is just one point to consider: She had been the Prime Minister of India. People who voted for her knew that she would pump in a lot of resources to develop her Lok Sabha constituency.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:48 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it is not possible to accuse people of the stature of Pandit Nehru of regionalism.
Why not? If he chose the name for UP, he did choose a regionalistic name. If he chose it because of what initials it would have, that was a classic case of regionalism gone berserk!

He is not here to defend himself against you. In his defense i will repeat what i said earlier: a plausible explanation for the name change is that it was to make it convenient and easy for people across India to keep referring the state as U.P. so that the inconvenience caused by changing the name from United Provinces would be minimized.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Dude, some sincere, bordering-on-friendly, advice for you. Before you come up with your next stupid logic, please ask yourself: "How easy is it to poke a hole in this logic?" Try to poke some holes yourself; think of other cases that parallel the argument you are making, and see if you are comfortable with those parallel arguments.

For example, let's say your argument is that "electing out-of-state people to parliament" proves that "the state rejects regionalism." At that point, instead of plunging headlong and posting it on such, ask yourself: "Did any other states do this?" Do some research. If you find some states that did just that before UP, ask yourself, "am I comfortable saying that those states rejected regionalism earlier than UP did?" If you are comfortable with the findings, then and only then, go ahead and post.

Another example: let's say your argument is "changing West Bengal->Bengal is fine, but West Bengal->Paschima Banga is regionalism gone berserk." Again, ask yourself, "did any other state names change from English to an Indian language? Were they direct translations, or did they change a non-regional name to a regional name or vice versa?" If only you had asked yourself this question, you would have immediately realized that you were voluntarily walking into a trap you set for yourself.

Hope this advice helps.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Rashmun wrote:it was to make it convenient and easy for people across India to keep referring the state as U.P. so that the inconvenience caused by changing the name from United Provinces would be minimized.
If you pick a regionalistic name just so the initials would come out right, I think it's reasonable to say that's regionalism gone berserk.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 pm

charvaka wrote:Dude, some sincere, bordering-on-friendly, advice for you. Before you come up with your next stupid logic, please ask yourself: "How easy is it to poke a hole in this logic?" Try to poke some holes yourself; think of other cases that parallel the argument you are making, and see if you are comfortable with those parallel arguments.

For example, let's say your argument is that "electing out-of-state people to parliament" proves that "the state rejects regionalism." At that point, instead of plunging headlong and posting it on such, ask yourself: "Did any other states do this?" Do some research. If you find some states that did just that before UP, ask yourself, "am I comfortable saying that those states rejected regionalism earlier than UP did?" If you are comfortable with the findings, then and only then, go ahead and post.

--> i knew all along that Indra Gandhi had been elected from Chikmagalur, Karnataka after she lost Lok Sabha elections in U.P. I am not denying that Karnataka has also rejected regionalism. One example of Karnataka rejecting regionalism is the fact that no regional party has been able to come to power on its own.

--> My argument with respect to Indra Gandhi is that she was a former Prime Minister. People who preferred her knew she would develop their constituency significantly (and more than her rivals) if they voted for her. It is therefore more significant that Jaya Prada and Azharuddin were able to win Lok Sabha elections from U.P.

--> In fact an argument for U.P. being regionalist is the fact that the current Chief Minister Mayawati is from the Bahujan Samajwadi Party which is a regionalist party. Except for the fact that the Bahujan Samajwadi party now has a presence in many states across India (because of the dalit vote bank) and is considered a national party now.

--> I was waiting patiently for when you would drop the nice guy mask and start getting personal and attacking me instead of attacking my ideas. Thanks for not disappointing me.

Last edited by Rashmun on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:06 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it was to make it convenient and easy for people across India to keep referring the state as U.P. so that the inconvenience caused by changing the name from United Provinces would be minimized.
If you pick a regionalistic name just so the initials would come out right, I think it's reasonable to say that's regionalism gone berserk.

--> You are entitled to your opinion but nobody has ever accused Pandit Nehru of regionalism in the past.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:Dude, some sincere, bordering-on-friendly, advice for you. Before you come up with your next stupid logic, please ask yourself: "How easy is it to poke a hole in this logic?" Try to poke some holes yourself; think of other cases that parallel the argument you are making, and see if you are comfortable with those parallel arguments.

--> i knew all along that Indra Gandhi had been elected from Chikmagalur, Karnataka after she lost Lok Sabha elections in U.P. I am not denying that Karnataka has also rejected regionalism. One example of Karnataka rejecting regionalism is the fact that no regional party has been able to come to power on its own.

--> My argument with respect to Indra Gandhi is that she was a former Prime Minister. People who preferred her knew she would develop their constituency significantly (and more than her rivals) if they voted for her. It is therefore more significant that Jaya Prada and Azharuddin were able to win Lok Sabha elections from U.P.

--> In fact an argument for U.P. being regionalist is the fact that the current Chief Minister Mayawati is from the Bahujan Samajwadi Party which is a regionalist party. Except for the fact that the Bahujan Samajwadi party now has a presence in many states across India (because of the dalit vote bank) and is considered a national party now.

--> I was waiting patiently for when you would drop the nice guy mask and start getting personal and attacking me instead of attacking my ideas. Thanks for not disappointing me.

--> i would like to add to what i have written earlier (See the words in bold font). Indira Gandhi lost the Lok Sabha elections in U.P. after she imposed the Emergency in India which was a terrible thing to do. The people of her U.P. constituency refused to vote for her in large numbers and she lost the Lok Sabha elections. Why so? Because the people of her U.P. constituency knew that even though she would keep developing their constituency the national interest should be kept in mind over regional interest. She deserved to be a taught a lesson in democratic principles and the people of U.P., putting national interest over regional interest, taught her that lesson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down