Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H-M synthesis: Hussaini Brahmins take out their own Muharram Taziyas

Go down

H-M synthesis: Hussaini Brahmins take out their own Muharram Taziyas  Empty H-M synthesis: Hussaini Brahmins take out their own Muharram Taziyas

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:33 am

NEW DELHI: As Muharram passed off peacefully in the capital amid heavy police presence on Tuesday, a group of brahmans in east Delhi were wondering what the tension was all about. Like every year, these Hindus took out a Muharram taziya of their own in Kalyanpuri, crying and beating their chests in ritual mourning that marks the occasion.

The community proudly claims that one of their ancestors, Rahib Datt, fought in the Karbala battle on the side of Imam Hussain and even sacrificed his sons in the conflict. Ever since that historic battle, they came to be known as Hussaini brahmans.

Their procession looks like any other, except that they don't use swords and knives. Rajinder Kumar, a resident of Shadipur depot who has headed the Kalyanpuri taziya for two decades, said his ancestors have been observing Muharram and so will his descendants.

"We believe that both Hindus and Muslims should follow each other's rituals and traditions. Our community observes Muharram and women keep fasts just as Muslims do," Kumar said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/For-Hussaini-brahmans-its-Muharram-as-usual/articleshow/45039950.cms

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Hussaini Brahmins take out their own Muharram Taziyas  Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Hussaini Brahmins take out their own Muharram Taziyas

Post by nevada Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I think Sunil Dutt was a Hussaini Brahmin too, I read about this in an old interview that I came across online. That was the first time I had heard about this sect and it was interesting reading.

nevada

Back to top Go down