Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Hug of Love’ at college

3 posters

Go down

‘Hug of Love’ at college Empty ‘Hug of Love’ at college

Post by FluteHolder Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:03 pm

‘Hug of Love’ at college 08TV_HUGGING_2191951f

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/hug-of-love-at-college/article6575486.ece?homepage=true

The ‘Hug of Love,’ an initiative by a group of students at Ernakulam Maharaja’s College, resulted in their suspension from the campus on Friday.
Inspired by the ‘Kiss of Love’ event held here on November 2, the youngsters rallied under the banner of ‘Hugs of Love’ against moral policing. They had also set up posters on the campus terming their effort as a hug-in protest. But the college authorities were not impressed as they pointed out that the event was against the code of conduct implemented in the college after the series of clashes involving student organisations a few weeks ago.
Principal T.V. Francy said that 10 students were suspended for 10 days for organising the programme inside the campus. They had also not informed the college authorities about such an event in advance, violating the provisions under the code of conduct, he said. Prof. Francy said that an announcement was also made on the megaphone saying students should not hold such a programme on the campus. But they went ahead with the programme even as teachers were watching, he said. “The hug protest was not in support of the earlier ‘Kiss of Love’ event, but against the moral policing that led to the attack on a café in Kozhikode recently,” said Vysakh Mohan, Maharaja’s College unit secretary of the Students’ Federation of India. He said that the organisation would hold a protest on Monday against the suspension of the students. “We are not condoning the mode of protest adopted by the group, but will uphold their right to hold a peaceful protest,” he said.
Kerala Students’ Union district president Tittu Antony said they would decide on their future course of action following a committee meeting. “Our stand was that we would neither support nor oppose the movement,” he said. Rahul Pasupalan, one of the key figures behind the ‘Kiss of Love’ event, said that he offered all support to anyone who stood against moral policing.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

‘Hug of Love’ at college Empty Re: ‘Hug of Love’ at college

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:20 pm

May these programmes get full support and may these grow in popularity. When did love become a crime and hate become something normal?

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Kinnera wrote:When did love become a crime...?
when a male person tried to hug a female person.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Sonny hugs his friends who are girls (not girl friend). I don't find it odd at all. It's pretty common. What's so odd about it?

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Kinnera wrote:Sonny hugs his friends who are girls (not girl friend). I don't find it odd at all. It's pretty common. What's so odd about it?

does "sonny" live in kerala in india?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:50 pm

So in kerala, violent protests and action against ppl showing their love gets more support than ppl loving one another? Don't you think Kerala should change? The youngsters are trying to change that. kudos to them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Keralites are conservative *gasp*? Why do people always keep me in the dark? What else do they do? Do parents cover eyes of their kids when a kissing-kissing scene is playing on the TV?

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Keralites are conservative *gasp*? Why do people always keep me in the dark? What else do they do? Do parents cover eyes of their kids when a kissing-kissing scene is playing on the TV?
kerala is conservative in some ways, and progressive in other, perhaps more important ways. however, it is likely that kerala is more progressive than every northindian state, in nearly every way that counts, for example, in education, and awareness of political and human rights. kerala will, I suspect, admit defeat at the hands of haryana in one measure of dubious value, tons of make-up used per year per person.

in all my years in this forum and at sulekha, only one person has publicly stated, probably with some pride, that she forced her child to shut her eyes when a couple was kissing in a movie she was watching. that was YOU!

the question is not whether the child should see the scene or not, but whether you should be watching what you would not allow your child to watch. and here, it's not a question of conservatism or liberalism, but of intelligence or idiocy.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:27 pm

swapna wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Keralites are conservative *gasp*? Why do people always keep me in the dark? What else do they do? Do parents cover eyes of their kids when a kissing-kissing scene is playing on the TV?
kerala is conservative in some ways, and progressive in other, perhaps more important ways. however, it is likely that kerala is more progressive than every northindian state, in nearly every way that counts, for example, in education, and awareness of political and human rights. kerala will, I suspect, admit defeat at the hands of haryana in one measure of dubious value, tons of make-up used per year per person.

in all my years in this forum and at sulekha, only one person has publicly stated, probably with some pride, that she forced her child to shut her eyes when a couple was kissing in a movie she was watching. that was YOU!

the question is not whether the child should see the scene or not, but whether you should be watching what you would not allow your child to watch. and here, it's not a question of conservatism or liberalism, but of intelligence or idiocy.

you are not much different from you disciple rashmun, and that's clear. you obviously missed the joke part of my original post, but who cares now, it's been years since then.

the point is, your state is super conservative dude. the rest of your post is bs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down