Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voting

+2
Hellsangel
.|Sublime|.
6 posters

Go down

Voting Empty Voting

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:16 am

what was the rationale for including positive and negative voting in the
forum? i remember there was some discussion about this but not sure if
anything came out of it. if i remember correctly wasn't it meant as a
way spammers can be booted out of the forum?

is the vote for the member or to the post that the member made?

what are the consequences of + and - votes?
do we get a prize - 'most positive member award' for the one with most + votes??

i have never voted here, not even when there was an all hands test alert.
i am not sure what the purpose of voting is and what it affects. but if
people want to have voting, then how about positive voting only? remove
the minus button. maybe this will infuse positive energy into the forum.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Voting Empty Re: Voting

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:36 am

as i have learnt through rashmun's experience, the site translates negative votes cast against your posts, after a time, to mean that your right to vote should be taken away. this means that every time a - vote is cast, it is cast against the post and the poster. this is unacceptable. rashmun can now no longer cast votes 'cos his id has breached this threshold. frankly speaking, had this happened to me (i.e. some nutjob had cast a zillion - votes against my posts leading to my ability to vote being taken away), i would have created a scene. probably a big scene. it is clear that this feature cannot stay. unfortunately rashmun's problem was not addressed the last time admin logged in despite rashmun's pointing out the problem well in advance.

edit. but, to be honest, it is also true that i did not appreciate the gravity of rashmun's problem till blabberwock repeated it (i.e. today).

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:38 am

Positive energy?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 am

what positive energy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 am

I was asking Absolutemente. It sounded like Deepak Chopra speak.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:42 am

Hellsangel wrote:Positive energy?

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what positive energy?

you know the art of living kinds.

btw I love you this multi quote feature.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 am

Hellsangel wrote:I was asking Absolutemente. It sounded like Deepak Chopra speak.

oh yea the deepak chopra kind too.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 am

edit. but, to be honest, it is also true that i did not appreciate the gravity of rashmun's problem till blabberwock repeated it (i.e. today).

so you didn't believe Rashmun's n posts but appreciated the issue only after BW wrote two lines about it?

the bigger issue here is does the admin have to go around deleting and adding features because some posters do not want or want it? nothings written in stone here and we should have flexibility but there comes a time in the life of a forum when feature addition and deletion should be taken seriously. the voting feature was added to boot out spammers (i think, correct me if i am wrong). now we realize that it is affecting non-spamming regular members although some would argue with me about the non spamming part. say two months down the line, muthukumarr registers and starts posting. what will we do then?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:so you didn't believe Rashmun's n posts but appreciated the issue only after BW wrote two lines about it?

no, i believed rashmun, or rather i believed the admin for the admin himself had given an explanation to rashmun in that thread as to why he was not being allowed to vote. but since i am not admin, i need not go about appreciating the gravity of members' problems. it struck home only when blabberwock repeated it and i did have the moment -- hey, then why didn't charvaka fix this issue or address rashmun's problem to allay his concerns.

the bigger issue here is does the admin have to go around deleting and adding features because some posters do not want or want it?

no. this is not an issue imo. the admin does enjoy a discretion. he is not a bot. if he is in confusion, he can always put things to poll. but this time the issue is slightly grievous (IMO). this feature is nasty and it has -- if i can use the word -- humiliated a member.

but there comes a time in the life of a forum when feature addition and deletion should be taken seriously.

that is not my opinion. we do not need a lokpal bill here. the admin should keep adding features and keep deleting them at his discretion (and he keeps taking feedback in his own way). we should not make this task to sound "serious:" enough to dissuade the admin from contemplating adding new features. and, above all, we should understand that he is doing whatever he is for FREE. Wink

the voting feature was added to boot out spammers (i think, correct me if i am wrong).

i am not aware of this (and i think i read alll site related posts).

say two months down the line, muthukumarr registers and starts posting. what will we do then?

i'll wait to hear if this voting feature was indeed a spam-guard effort.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:20 pm

i dont think any of this is serious.

i brought this up because the admin wants to keep admin activity to the minimum and at some point let the forum run on its own.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Come on Folks. Just because one nut case, OCD-afflcited, dictatorial- minded, abusive Akbari protests and whines of a feature, stop discussing it to death.

The feature is there - to protect, to protest, to play, to have fun, and to whine. If one guy gets too many negative votes, then that guy should laugh it off or if he takes it easy try to mend his ways.

P.S. BTW, how to do you check the votes one received. I tried and I got logged out.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:P.S. BTW, how to do you check the votes one received. I tried and I got logged out.

it is quite possible that this is the consequence of casting too many negative votes Razz
anytime you do any voting related activity, you get logged out.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:P.S. BTW, how to do you check the votes one received. I tried and I got logged out.

rofl rofl

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:hey, then why didn't charvaka fix this issue or address rashmun's problem to allay his concerns.
Because I didn't know how to. I am going to look into this, as I mentioned to Rashmun.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i'll wait to hear if this voting feature was indeed a spam-guard effort.
Originally it was. But it doesn't work like that on forumotion. (That was one of the motivations behind the creation of chaikaapi.) Now it is more of a like-dislike feature. I don't like taking privileges away based on total number of votes one gets; I am still working on taking that out.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
maybe this will infuse positive energy into the forum.

How about a "Gmorn" thread every day? Or maybe just a "hello" thread? Do you think that will help?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:36 pm

blabberwock wrote:
How about a "Gmorn" thread every day?
In what time zone though?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
How about a "Gmorn" thread every day?
In what time zone though?

Who cares, Mr.Snoopy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:40 pm

blabberwock wrote:

Who cares, Mr.Snoopy?
Touchy, touchy, touchy!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Who cares, Mr.Snoopy?
Touchy, touchy, touchy!

Eh? What are you on about?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 pm

blabberwock wrote:

That you think I am being snoopy here, Ms. Lucy.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

That you think I am being snoopy here, Ms. Lucy.

Oh, I don't think that you are being snoopy *here*. In general, you are a Mr.Snoopy, that's that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:15 pm

you tempest in a teapot mofos are killing me. goddamn it.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I'll suggest LLJK, short form for "Loda Lassan Jhaantein Kilkil"

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down