Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times

+2
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
6 posters

Go down

(telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times Empty (telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times

Post by truthbetold Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvjs5PZYNQs

Great poetry, so ahead of his time

He expounded the equality of all beings much before modern times

Is this advaitam or one of the other forms of philosophy? 

I heard this song so many times sung by different singers but learn more every time I hear it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

(telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times Empty Re: (telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:36 am

nice krithi. i've heard it sung by MSS in a two volume set of annamacharya krithis. this version by priya sisters is good too. rAga bowli seems to have been a favorite of annamayya. he has another song, "sriman nArAyaNA" in the same rAgam.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

(telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times Empty Re: (telugu) Annamayya - brahmamokkate - ahead of times

Post by truthbetold Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:22 am

This song gets crowd going. Sobha raju and sudha ranganathan also sang it well.  Movie version is a bit modern.  

Annamayya's songs are so well written to set to music.  He uses much simpler language than tyagaraja even though he wrote few centuries earlier.  What a joy to listen to these songs even after so many centuries.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:51 am

Not ahead of his times. That was the essence of Vedanta.

Saguna or Nirguna, Brahman is universal. This idea was expressed metaphorically throughout Vedanta (and even in puranas and itihasas).

The 5 mahaavaakyas are authoritative statements summarizing the idea. For example, look at: "sarvam khalvidam brahma"!

People like Annamaya were obviously addressing the prevailing attitudes among the communities they lived in and decided to point out the core ideas in Hinduism to minimize selfish behaviour patterns among the privileged and enlighten the affected. 

Throughout Indian history you will find such people. "Maanava sEvayE maadhava sEva". 

Recently, I was reading about the daily activities in temples. Every community is involved (from cobblers to priests) and if one community can't participate, the temple function can't be completed. Dignity of labour, importance of everyone and universality of Brahman are included in such activities. How can a cobbler be involved if untouchability is practiced? Untouchability is practiced by selfish, privileged people (who ignore the core philosophy for utilitarian ends).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:26 am

truthbetold wrote:This song gets crowd going. Sobha raju and sudha ranganathan also sang it well.  Movie version is a bit modern.  

Annamayya's songs are so well written to set to music.  He uses much simpler language than tyagaraja even though he wrote few centuries earlier.  What a joy to listen to these songs even after so many centuries.

sudha raghunathan is her name. i am not a fan. but yes this krithi is a fantastic one. the bhakti tradition and the literature and music that arose from it are treasures of southern indian culture. you'll find similar sentiments in the azhwar pasurams as well.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nice krithi. i've heard it sung by MSS in a two volume set of annamacharya krithis. this version by priya sisters is good too. rAga bowli seems to have been a favorite of annamayya. he has another song, "sriman nArAyaNA" in the same rAgam.

Pretty much all compositions of Annamacharya are recompositions. He never wrote swaram or talam. He wrote names of ragas, but many of them are not in vogue any more. I like his poetry better than Thyagaraja's.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nice krithi. i've heard it sung by MSS in a two volume set of annamacharya krithis. this version by priya sisters is good too. rAga bowli seems to have been a favorite of annamayya. he has another song, "sriman nArAyaNA" in the same rAgam.

Pretty much all compositions of Annamacharya are recompositions. He never wrote swaram or talam. He wrote names of ragas, but many of them are not in vogue any more. I like his poetry better than Thyagaraja's.
Indeed!

Pinakapani did it for several of Annamacharya's compositions.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:19 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

This is his student Srirangam Gopalaratnam's rendition of her guru's swarafication. One of my all time favorites.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

Afaik, Rallapalli Anatha Krishna Sharma set tunes to most of them and Sripada Pinakapani and Nedunuri Krishnamurthy probably for about 100 compositions each.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:16 pm

smArtha wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

Afaik, Rallapalli Anatha Krishna Sharma set tunes to most of them and Sripada Pinakapani and Nedunuri Krishnamurthy probably for about 100 compositions each.
Yes, Krishna Sarma garu did the bulk of the tunes.
Did Nedunuri do on his own or got help from Pinakapani?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
smArtha wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

Yes, Krishna Sarma garu did the bulk of the tunes.
Did Nedunuri do on his own or got help from Pinakapani?
I believe Nedunuri did some by himself. I have a couple of Pantula Rama CDs of Annamayya songs in which some songs are clearly listed as compositions of Nedunuri.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:54 pm

truthbetold wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvjs5PZYNQs

Great poetry, so ahead of his time

He expounded the equality of all beings much before modern times

Is this advaitam or one of the other forms of philosophy? 

I heard this song so many times sung by different singers but learn more every time I hear it.
Not ahead of his times. It is the very essence of hindu(?) philosophy. It's the core idea of the Upanishads, Brahmasutras, Gita, Advaita and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 pm

smArtha wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

Didn't Balamuralikrishna compose some as well?

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:10 am

indophile wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:

Indeed!

This is his student Srirangam Gopalaratnam's rendition of her guru's swarafication. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks for posting this fabulous piece!!

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down