Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way

+5
truthbetold
MaxEntropy_Man
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Idéfix
smArtha
9 posters

Go down

guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way Empty guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Rampal

Asaram Bapu

Nityanand

Kanchi Seer

Ramdev

sandhvi something (booked in terrorism case)

Shining stars of Hinduism

What do the Hindu have to say about it?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way Empty Re: guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:32 pm

According to my own guruvu-gaaru, gurudom occurs in two binary states. At any point, a guru is in either one of those two binary states. The two states are: "sattvika" and "sikular." Unless proven otherwise, all gurus are in the "sattvika" state. Sometimes, gurus fall prey to the shenanigans of the sikular media and their holy deeds become known to the general public. In those rare situations, the binary state of that guru then flips to "sikular."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way Empty Re: guru devo bhava - Hindu gurus showing the way

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 pm

In traditional India, sages and gurus never claimed to be Gods although they made statements like, "aham brahmasmi", etc., for enlightenment of mankind. In fact, some who advocated personal superiority were put in their place (Brighu, for example).

Coming to Sikularism, the Satya Sai Babas of India have no sanction in Hinduism. They take advantage of the openness and lack of a central command in Hinduism. They are not that different from the High-Command for CONmen, Laloo - the guru for Yadavs, Mulayam - the main mullah for UP Muslims (can't call him God or prophet because the pieceful will murder him), K'nidhi - the DKhead who makes money chanting anti-chaddi mantras to moronic people, Dora-God KCR who promises degrees and jobs for lazy people who don't study or work, etc. 

At least, your guru Pol Pot worked very hard to get rid of Chaddis in his country. Varavara Rao is trying hard to regroup Naxalies in Telangana and Chattisgarh (although he is facing stiff competition from Akbaruddin and his followers).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:In traditional India, sages and gurus never claimed to be Gods although they made statements like, "aham brahmasmi", etc., for enlightenment of mankind. In fact, some who advocated personal superiority were put in their place (Brighu, for example).

Coming to Sikularism, the Satya Sai Babas of India have no sanction in Hinduism. They take advantage of the openness and lack of a central command in Hinduism. They are not that different from the High-Command for CONmen, Laloo - the guru for Yadavs, Mulayam - the main mullah for UP Muslims (can't call him God or prophet because the pieceful will murder him), K'nidhi - the DKhead who makes money chanting anti-chaddi mantras to moronic people, Dora-God KCR who promises degrees and jobs for lazy people who don't study or work, etc. 

At least, your guru Pol Pot worked very hard to get rid of Chaddis in his country. Varavara Rao is trying hard to regroup Naxalies in Telangana and Chattisgarh (although he is facing stiff competition from Akbaruddin and his followers).
Have you ever heard Varavara rao speak?  Probably the best telugu speaker alive. But he is just a writer and a prisoner of extreme political dogma. Looks like his brand of extreme politics are done in India (at least in AP.).

But coming back to gurus,  is it not time that the ordinary Hindu change the description of a guru and make it more difficult for a street urchin becoming a famous guru.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:In traditional India, sages and gurus never claimed to be Gods although they made statements like, "aham brahmasmi", etc., for enlightenment of mankind. In fact, some who advocated personal superiority were put in their place (Brighu, for example).

Have you ever heard Varavara rao speak?  Probably the best telugu speaker alive. But he is just a writer and a prisoner of extreme political dogma. Looks like his brand of extreme politics are done in India (at least in AP.).

But coming back to gurus,  is it not time that the ordinary Hindu change the description of a guru and make it more difficult for a street urchin becoming a famous guru.
My post was for PP. I admire Varavara Rao's convictions.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:31 pm

truthbetold wrote:Rampal

Asaram Bapu

Nityanand

Kanchi Seer

Ramdev

andhvi something (booked in terrorism case)

Shining stars of Hinduism

What do the Hindu have to say about it?

Indira

Rajiv

Sonia

Pawar

Mulayam

Mayawati

Karunanidi

Jayalalitha

Lalu

Mamta

CBN

YSR

What do the Indian electorate have to say about it?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:04 pm

Guruvu-gaaru, you are my only guruvu-gaaru. Please do not insult yourself by assuming co-guruship over me with Pol Pot.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Guruvu-gaaru, you are my only guruvu-gaaru. Please do not insult yourself by assuming co-guruship over me with Pol Pot.
అపచారం, అపచారం!

అలా అసలు గురువుని వదలిపెట్టి ఎవరో చిన్న మనిషిని పట్టుకుంటే, మొప్పు వస్తుంది. పి బి యు హెచ్ ని వదిలి బ్రతికిన మేనియాక్ లేడు. అలాగే, మీ గుర్గురులగు పాల్ పాట్ ని  అవమానపరిచి అల్పులను గురువులుగా భావించి దిగతీరటం మంచిది కాదు.

Speaking of gurus, in Jayasimha movie, Relangi acts as a Sadhu to collect money from gullible people. He tells them that his guru, gurguru and gurgurguru toured the world and saved everyone. In the end, they do dEhasuddhi to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDrPWmuXtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZWXm2Uo_w

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:26 pm

One has to have the vivekam to differentiate between a cult leader and a true spiritual guru. Unfortunately, most don't have that.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Kinnera wrote:One has to have the vivekam to differentiate between a cult leader and a true spiritual guru. Unfortunately, most don't have that.

If Hindus are unable to distinguish between a cult leader and a true spiritual guru, what mechanism is there within hinduism to identify, expose, and better prevent cult leaders from gaining vast following.  

Lack of internal monitoring within Hinduism is also a problem in major festival organizations. In the past few years, there were several tragedies killing 10s or 100s of devotees. Most of them are preventable.  Unfortunately no initiatives are seen on national scale on prevention of fraud and tragedies within Hinduism.  

Hindus are passively allowing greedy low lifes exploit them. In their blind belief to participate in major events, they put themselves in harm's way.  It is sad to see there is no collective effort to improve.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kinnera wrote:One has to have the vivekam to differentiate between a cult leader and a true spiritual guru. Unfortunately, most don't have that.

If Hindus are unable to distinguish between a cult leader and a true spiritual guru, what mechanism is there within hinduism to identify, expose, and better prevent cult leaders from gaining vast following.  

Lack of internal monitoring within Hinduism is also a problem in major festival organizations. In the past few years, there were several tragedies killing 10s or 100s of devotees. Most of them are preventable.  Unfortunately no initiatives are seen on national scale on prevention of fraud and tragedies within Hinduism.  

Hindus are passively allowing greedy low lifes exploit them. In their blind belief to participate in major events, they put themselves in harm's way.  It is sad to see there is no collective effort to improve.
They are greedy, so naturally they fall pray to greedy low lives and allow them to exploit them. if their spiritual intentions are high and noble, they'll find such a guru too (you are your own guru. look within says RM and JK).

This falling pray to the cult leaders and charlatans is not limited to just hindus. The basal human nature is universal.

what mechanism is there within hinduism to identify, expose, and better prevent cult leaders from gaining vast following? You have a whole library out there. go read and get some knowledge and wisdom. No, but ppl won't do that. They are lazy. They just want quick and easy fixes in life.

PS, Edit: Krishnam Vande Jagad Gurum....there's no bigger and better guru than Krishna. Go read the Bhagavad Gita.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:14 pm

the Bhagavad Gita has excellent advice for living. one doesn't even need to be a believer in god to benefit from it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Advaita it is.

Highly reco'd: http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-Classics-Indian-Spirituality/dp/1586380192/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416355954&sr=1-4&keywords=upanishads+eknath+easwaran

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Why read any religious book?  One can find all the answers from their education if they can learn to think scientifically. 

I like Bhagvadgita. Even that great book is not able to inspire every hindu to read it or learn from it or live by it. 

I gave enough examples of gurus who have hoodwinked large number of hindus.  Sometimes the loss is personal. Sometimes it is a public tragedy. How about some standards of religious education,  some standards of conduct, and some transparency on monetary matters. (every religion has these problems but I am not part of those religions to question them. I am sure there are other individuals who are asking similar questions in those religions.)

The other question is what is hinduism doing about public tragedies happening during religious events?  Not much.  I have not heard similar catastrophic events at christian events (even in India). How many more Hindu people have to be sacrificed before a better event management can be lerned and executed?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 pm

truthbetold wrote:Why read any religious book?  One can find all the answers from their education if they can learn to think scientifically. 

I like Bhagvadgita. Even that great book is not able to inspire every hindu to read it or learn from it or live by it. 

I gave enough examples of gurus who have hoodwinked large number of hindus.  Sometimes the loss is personal. Sometimes it is a public tragedy. How about some standards of religious education,  some standards of conduct, and some transparency on monetary matters. (every religion has these problems but I am not part of those religions to question them. I am sure there are other individuals who are asking similar questions in those religions.)

The other question is what is hinduism doing about public tragedies happening during religious events?  Not much.  I have not heard similar catastrophic events at christian events (even in India). How many more Hindu people have to be sacrificed before a better event management can be lerned and executed?

the gita is good self administered psychotherapy. i have turned to it many times to deal with crises and it has always helped.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Max

I am in agreement on the value of Gita.  Despite my enormous respect for Gita, it does not provide answer to all the questions of the world. 

Hinduism needs to be self critical and come up with methods and solutions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

There are very strict rules on who you should consider as 'guru' which are explained in Gita. If masses donot have any idea to judge, and seek temporary solace in such 'godmen' you will find opportunists exploit them.  IF you cannot find answer in Gita (IMHO highly impossible),  you could try in 'Thirukkural' Smile

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm

i have found that people who talk too much about the greatness of all these things are no less petty, mendacious and corrupt than those who don't. maybe all this is done to expiate the other evil things they do.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:27 pm

bw wrote:i have found that people who talk too much about the greatness of all these things are no less petty, mendacious and corrupt than those who don't. maybe all this is done to expiate the other evil things they do.
So, RM, Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Paramahansa Yogananda, Sivananda and those of 'this rank' all had some petty ideals and corrupt? They had lots of evil they had to hide? Nice!

That is a pretty wide brush....

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:42 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
bw wrote:i have found that people who talk too much about the greatness of all these things are no less petty, mendacious and corrupt than those who don't. maybe all this is done to expiate the other evil things they do.
So, RM, Ramakrishna, Vivekananda, Paramahansa Yogananda, Sivananda and those of 'this rank' all had some petty ideals and corrupt? They had lots of evil they had to hide? Nice!

i was thinking of the average joe/jane who keeps talking about the great hindu philosophy, and not the ancient saints. i didn't know these saints in person to comment on them. also, i said "no less" implying that  most of them are no different from the unenlightened ones when it comes to ethics and morals.

i do think a lot of people have no issues doing puja, chanting this and that, bribing gods and goddesses with a lot of things in return for good things happening to them and their dear ones and at the same time have no compunction about committing despicable acts. i find that dichotomy quite interesting and know quite a few who do this.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:39 am

FluteHolder wrote:

The venerable folks you list are long dead and gone, so their human foibles and weaknesses (which were never documented in that bygone era of innocence) will never be known. You're free to venerate them as ideal human beings, perfect in every way. But that is faith. A reasonable man would accept that everyone, Guru or otherwise, is human and is therefore prone to human weaknesses.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 am

truthbetold wrote:Max

I am in agreement on the value of Gita.  Despite my enormous respect for Gita, it does not provide answer to all the questions of the world. 

Hinduism needs to be self critical and come up with methods and solutions.
>>>>TBT,

The Gita is not meant to provide all the answers. It or no other book or person can. It gives you  guidance on being true to yourself and finding the inner spark and letting it shine. The details need to be worked out by the reader.

Hinduism can be self- critical since there is no impediment to this. It is built- in as it is a collection of philosophical systems which don't follow any one set of beliefs. It is a bit like SUCH Smile. In that sense, I am optimistic it won't get out hand and will continue to evolve(ok,maybe SUCH was a bad analogy,but you get the point)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down