Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jazz revival at iit-madras

5 posters

Go down

jazz revival at iit-madras Empty jazz revival at iit-madras

Post by michelle2 Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:46 pm

the 60s jazz band, beat x of iit-madras, revived in 2014, at the 50th anniversary of the founding of the institute. this band is a sextet - no, propa, no! that only means a group of six - but includes four members of the original quintet; sargunar is missing. these grey-haired gentlemen live in different parts of the world, but came together for the recent reunion. here, they play brubeck's take five at the amphitheatre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS47H239158

michelle2

Back to top Go down

jazz revival at iit-madras Empty Re: jazz revival at iit-madras

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

the beat x playing a short version of a taste of honey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBg_5_NdcKw

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

michelle -- it's good these grey-haired gentlemen (classmates of yours?) have a nice hobby, but that was an apology for the original. too loose. shouldn't have uploaded on youtube.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:michelle -- it's good these grey-haired gentlemen (classmates of yours?) have a nice hobby, but that was an apology for the original. too loose. shouldn't have uploaded on youtube.

why not?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:michelle -- it's good these grey-haired gentlemen (classmates of yours?) have a nice hobby, but that was an apology for the original. too loose. shouldn't have uploaded on youtube.
+1

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:35 pm

they were not classmates of mine, but for a while, we were at the institute at the same time. jazz was unusual in india. i appreciated the beat x exploring a new genre. they were a competent, popular, and exciting group then. now, even though their skills may have atrophied during the many intervening years, i appreciate their making the effort to practice - possibly over skype - and reunite for a special occasion. i suspect that rashmun sensed that too.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:46 pm

sorry in retrospect there was no need to be critical of people getting together and exploring a passion. on second thoughts i retract my earlier post.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sorry in retrospect there was no need to be critical of people getting together and exploring a passion. on second thoughts i retract my earlier post.

All right.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down