Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayhem's Clueless Enablers

3 posters

Go down

Mayhem's Clueless Enablers Empty Mayhem's Clueless Enablers

Post by Hellsangel Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:40 am

If a column by Georgetown University senior Oliver Friedfeld is any indication, the old bromide, “a conservative is a liberal who’s been mugged,” no longer applies.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Mayhem's Clueless Enablers Empty Re: Mayhem's Clueless Enablers

Post by Hellsangel Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am

This comment on the original article says it very well:

Personally I’m not thankful he is ok. I think we need to let Darwin take care of the kind of liberal idiocy this “educated” moron is spewing. It is truly an astonishing amount of stupidity in one little article.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:14 pm

oliver comes across very astute and mature for a senior. anyone who is not able to understand that the widening gulf between the privileged and the poor will lead to such desperate measures is the idiot - "libby" or otherwise. he is not condoning violence but trying to understand the socio-economic reasons that may push people into it.

nice to note that "gunnermike53"(author of the comment) believes in evolution.

this comment says it all for me.

"Pathetic is that there are some who just don’t get it. The victim is not blaming her/himself. S/he simply isn’t blaming those who mugged him/her and suggesting that if we lived in a more egalitarian society there would be neither mugger nor victim."

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:47 pm

bw wrote:oliver comes across very astute and mature for a senior. anyone who is not able to understand that the widening gulf between the privileged and the poor will lead to such desperate measures is the idiot - "libby" or otherwise. he is not condoning violence but trying to understand the socio-economic reasons that may push people into it.

"Pathetic is that there are some who just don’t get it. The victim is not blaming her/himself. S/he simply isn’t blaming those who mugged him/her and suggesting that if we lived in a more egalitarian society there would be neither mugger nor victim."

Strange then that India and Pakistan where the wealth disparity is higher rank lower than the United States in robbery rates. Or that Belgium ranks higher than the US:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Robberies
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:oliver comes across very astute and mature for a senior. anyone who is not able to understand that the widening gulf between the privileged and the poor will lead to such desperate measures is the idiot - "libby" or otherwise. he is not condoning violence but trying to understand the socio-economic reasons that may push people into it.

Strange then that India and Pakistan where the wealth disparity is higher rank lower than the United States in robbery rates. Or that Belgium ranks higher than the US:

Comparison across countries is fallacious.  Within each society,  there is a certain 'safe zone'  of disparity beyond which law and order starts breaking down. Those thresholds vary by society depending on cultural markers.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Comparison across countries is fallacious.  Within each society,  there is a certain 'safe zone'  of disparity beyond which law and order starts breaking down. Those thresholds vary by society depending on cultural markers.

That may well be, but it doesn't excuse Friedfeld's naivete or perhaps stupidity. One of the most laughable parts of the original article where Oliver offers excuses for his muggers:

Young people who willingly or unwillingly go down this road have been dealt a bad hand. While speaking with a D.C. police officer after the incident, he explained that he too had come from difficult circumstances, and yet had made the decision not to get involved in crime. This is a very fair point — we all make decisions. Yet I’ve never had to decide whether or not to steal from people. We’re all capable of good and bad, but it’s a whole lot easier for me to choose good than it may be for them to.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
That may well be, but it doesn't excuse Friedfeld's naivete or perhaps stupidity. One of the most laughable parts of the original article where Oliver offers excuses for his muggers:

Young people who willingly or unwillingly go down this road have been dealt a bad hand. While speaking with a D.C. police officer after the incident, he explained that he too had come from difficult circumstances, and yet had made the decision not to get involved in crime. This is a very fair point — we all make decisions. Yet I’ve never had to decide whether or not to steal from people. We’re all capable of good and bad, but it’s a whole lot easier for me to choose good than it may be for them to.

why is this laughable?  you don't think there is a connection between poverty and crime?

of course, the wall street looters aren't poor. Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

bw wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

why is this laughable?  you don't think there is a connection between poverty and crime?

of course, the wall street looters aren't poor. Smile

Bingo!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down