Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arun Shourie launches a veiled attack on Narendra Modi

Go down

Arun Shourie launches a veiled attack on Narendra Modi Empty Arun Shourie launches a veiled attack on Narendra Modi

Post by Guest Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:18 pm

P Vaidyanathan Iyer: What do you think about the government and the buzz around PM Narendra Modi’s style of functioning?

Shourie: I don’t want to use harsh words but the  consensus seems to be that when all is said and done, more is said than done. I am sure sincere efforts are being made and they may yield results, but as Akbar Allahabadi said, ‘Plateon ke aane ki awaaz toh aa rahi hai, khaana nahin aa raha (The  plates’ sound can be heard but the food is not coming)’.

---

P Vaidyanathan Iyer: Do you see the current government as an extension of Modi’s campaign — one person at the top and the Cabinet not very varied or delivering governance at the doorstep?

Shourie: India is diverse and very large. I am using the words of a very big man, whose name I cannot tell you. ‘It is not a municipality, it is the federal government of India,’ he said. It cannot be run by small numbers.

---

Abhishek Angad*: How do you think the government is handling issues about Muslims?

Shourie: I agree with Modi’s general approach, which is to provide facilities across the board, not on the basis of caste or religion. Whenever we provide benefit based on a criterion other than economic, politics is played around it. Development requires focus, and Modi has to ensure that focus, which means you must also control the fringe elements. You cannot talk development in Delhi and love jihad in Muzaffarnagar. It distracts. If love jihad was so dangerous, how did the phenomenon stop after voting?

- See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/modi-may-be-an-agent-of-change-but-he-has-to-reshape-an-entire-ocean/#sthash.i7yO0cAw.dpuf

Back to top Go down