Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so true

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
swapna
6 posters

Go down

so true Empty so true

Post by Guest Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:40 pm

source: reddit

so true JqWu1Fm

Back to top Go down

so true Empty Re: so true

Post by swapna Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:29 pm

what's the difference? one bunch eats aloo-gobi, and the other, gobi-aloo?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:55 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:source: reddit

so true JqWu1Fm

What difference? They are all one and the same. That is why any narthie politician can stand anywhere and win. But, a Gult or Kannada politician dont stand in TN or vice versa.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: What difference? They are all one and the same. That is why any narthie politician can stand anywhere and win. But, a Gult or Kannada politician dont stand in TN or vice versa.

Interesting idea ... time for KN to run for a Lok Sabha seat in Bihar and Lalu in TN.

Btw it wont be the first time for a south Indian to run in an election in the north and even win. During the 1970s (I was at Kharagpur then), V. K. Krishna Menon (a Malayali) ran for a Lok Sabha seat in the KGP area (Midnapore constituency, West Bengal) and won. I heard him speak in English in one of the election rallies near the IIT. Magnificent speaker.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:10 pm

so true JqWu1Fm

this is true. i think madrasis get irked by the fact folks north of vindhyas all speak hindi or even if the aren't native speakers of it, they gladly cede to speaking in hindi, or, that they are not chauvinistic about their native language (the only weapon the madrasis have in their armoury about themselves). the other fact is that madrasis perceive that naarthies percieve madrasis as kallus and feel they are being persecuted on this account. the madrasis have not tried disabusing the naarthies of this canard because the brutal fact is that naarthies are as kallu as they are (india has been an endogamous sub-continent for millenniums). the madrasis instead developed a new weapon in their armoury to counter this canard -- we are more literate than you! that may be true but then they went a step ahead and said we have a dna for higher IQ than you naarthies. well the only way to fight a canard is with a canard! let the fight carry on. i have resigned myself to living in hindia within india and i will be happy if my kids decide to marry hindians but i can't force them and i won't, because, frankly, i do not know how things will unfold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:14 pm

tingu wrote:

so true JqWu1Fm

this is true. i think madrasis get irked by the fact folks north of vindhyas all speak hindi or even if the aren't native speakers of it, they gladly cede to speaking in hindi, or, that they are not chauvinistic about their native language (the only weapon the madrasis have in their armoury about themselves). the other fact is that madrasis perceive that naarthies percieve madrasis as kallus and feel they are being persecuted on this account. the madrasis have not tried disabusing the naarthies of this canard because the brutal fact is that naarthies are as kallu as they are (india has been an endogamous sub-continent for millenniums). the madrasis instead developed a new weapon in their armoury to counter this canard -- we are more literate than you! that may be true but then they went a step ahead and said we have a dna for higher IQ than you naarthies. well the only way to fight a canard is with a canard! let the fight carry on. i have resigned myself to living in hindia within india and i will be happy if my kids decide to marry hindians but i can't force them and i won't, because, frankly, i do not know how things will unfold.

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:03 pm

unfortunately madrasi is not a language. but it is to naarthiees.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 pm

tingu wrote:the madrasis have not tried disabusing the naarthies of this canard because the brutal fact is that naarthies are as kallu as they are (india has been an endogamous sub-continent for millenniums).

that's because "madarasis" probably believe that being dark is inherently neither a positive nor a negative aesthetic characteristic.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
tingu wrote:the madrasis have not tried disabusing the naarthies of this canard because the brutal fact is that naarthies are as kallu as they are (india has been an endogamous sub-continent for millenniums).

that's because "madarasis" probably believe that being dark is inherently neither a positive nor a negative aesthetic characteristic.

To begin with, Tamil cinema has rarely seen a dark heroine. Kollywood has seldom had film heroines from Tamil Nadu itself, preferring to draw upon the ivory-toned damsels of North India. And even while “Black is the Tamil’s colour” was a popular catchphrase when the hit song “Karupu dan enaku pidicha color” came out, the truth is black has never been glamourized as the Tamilachi’s colour. For a people who are for the most part dark, this is blatantly preposterous.

http://tamilculture.ca/how-fair-will-we-go/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

To begin with, Tamil cinema has rarely seen a dark heroine. Kollywood has seldom had film heroines from Tamil Nadu itself, preferring to draw upon the ivory-toned damsels of North India. And even while “Black is the Tamil’s colour” was a popular catchphrase when the hit song “Karupu dan enaku pidicha color” came out, the truth is black has never been glamourized as the Tamilachi’s colour. For a people who are for the most part dark, this is blatantly preposterous.

>>>I read the article briefly. The preference for fairness is a countrywide phenomenon. One other point I have heard is the colonial influence that brought this about. I think this author is right in his reference to the varna system. That seems more plausible than a few thousand brits spreading a bias like that when there no meaningful mass media. I didn't get the madhavan reference. I have seen him and he seemed somewhat on the darker side and also on the shorter side.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:18 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>I read the article briefly. The preference for fairness is a countrywide phenomenon. One other point I have heard is the colonial influence that brought this about. I think this author is right in his reference to the varna system. That seems more plausible than a few thousand brits spreading a bias like that when there no meaningful mass media. I didn't get the madhavan reference. I have seen him and he seemed somewhat on the darker side and also on the shorter side.

+1 

bold is true even in kashmir (implying that there are dark skinned kashmiris)!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:40 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

The following is from the travel memoirs of Marco Polo ( writing about Tamilians in the 13th century AD):

Dark skin is highly esteemed among these people. ‘When a child is born they anoint him once a week with oil of sesame, and this makes him grow much darker’ (replaced since by ‘Fair & Lovely’ creams!). No wonder their gods are all black ‘and their devils white as snow.’

http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2009/01/marco-polos-india.html

---
Marco Polo's observations mean that the colonial influence on this issue is probably significant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote: What difference? They are all one and the same. That is why any narthie politician can stand anywhere and win. But, a Gult or Kannada politician dont stand in TN or vice versa.

Interesting idea ... time for KN to run for a Lok Sabha seat in Bihar and Lalu in TN.

Btw it wont be the first time for a south Indian to run in an election in the north and even win. During the 1970s (I was at Kharagpur then), V. K. Krishna Menon (a Malayali) ran for a Lok Sabha seat in the KGP area (Midnapore constituency, West Bengal) and won. I heard him speak in English in one of the election rallies near the IIT. Magnificent speaker.

Btw, just for the record, the 1970s in the above should read as the 1960s.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 am

Rashmun wrote:
The following is from the travel memoirs of Marco Polo ( writing about Tamilians in the 13th century AD):

Dark skin is highly esteemed among these people. ‘When a child is born they anoint him once a week with oil of sesame, and this makes him grow much darker’ (replaced since by ‘Fair & Lovely’ creams!). No wonder their gods are all black ‘and their devils white as snow.’

---
Marco Polo's observations mean that the colonial influence on this issue is probably significant.

Marco Polo's sampling must have been similar to the one you used when you informed us that Hindi is the most commonly spoken language in TN.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:51 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

Marco Polo's sampling must have been similar to the one you used when you informed us that Hindi is the most commonly spoken language in TN.

not just marco polo's sampling but tons of ancient tamil literature that prizes dark skin -- gods, godesses, kings etc. i definitely think exposure to europeans and brainwashing by boll(ocks)ywood has done a number on "madarasi" aesthetic criteria.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:58 am

Possible. Even the non-Madrasi Mahabharata has two key characters whose dark complexion is their defining attribute: Krishna and Draupadi.

And yet, classical Sanskrit literature pre-dating European contact is full of references to (desirable) fair complexion.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Possible. Even the non-Madrasi Mahabharata has two key characters whose dark complexion is their defining attribute: Krishna and Draupadi.

And yet, classical Sanskrit literature pre-dating European contact is full of references to (desirable) fair complexion.

githa hariharan, in one book (forgetting which one -- possibly her debut novel and i did not read it fully), has her protagonist gift a krishna idol to her black friend in USA. the black friend wryly remarks -- aah, blue complexioned, not black!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down