Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIFE LONG PIO Card

3 posters

Go down

LIFE LONG PIO Card  Empty LIFE LONG PIO Card

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:44 pm

They stamp the card as LIFE LONG at the Airport; no questions asked.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

LIFE LONG PIO Card  Empty Re: LIFE LONG PIO Card

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:58 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:They stamp the card as LIFE LONG at the Airport; no questions asked.

It is a 20-50 card. if you are under 20, you will have to reapply and the new card will be valid until you reach 50. At which point you will have reapply. Of course, the GoI can change thee at anytime it wants and revoke your PIO - lifelong or not.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:04 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:They stamp the card as LIFE LONG at the Airport; no questions asked.

It is a 20-50 card. if you are under 20, you will have to reapply and the new card will be valid until you reach 50. At which point you will have reapply. Of course, the GoI can change thee at anytime it wants and revoke your PIO - lifelong or not.
of course, just as U.S citizenship can be revoked.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

of course, just as U.S citizenship can be revoked.

US citizenship can be revoked only if you had lied in your application. Of course, with all kinds of idiotic questions on its application, anyone can be found (or proved) to have lied in an application. In the case of PIO, a govt can simply pass an ordnance and change its character across the board for all PIO holders.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 am

>>>I have a PIO. It expires in a few years. Do I apply at that point or can it be converted now to a lifelong one?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:50 am

Kris wrote:

>>>I have a PIO. It expires in a few years. Do I apply at that point or can it be converted now to a lifelong one?

The PIO program has been withdrawn and only OCI is in effect. No matter what you will have to pay for application to get an OCI in place of PIO. You might as well do it right away. why wait ?

But, OTOH, may be they have instituted a program to automatically stamp & convert any PIO into OCI on arrival as CD said above. so you might get it done on your next trip without all the bureaucratic processes.

My suggestion will be for you to wait till next trip to Desh. If your PIO is not converted at the airport, then apply for your OCI on return.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:04 am

Kris wrote:

Looks like this 20-50 rule is only applicable to OCI not PIO.

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

PIO is not issued anymore - i read somewhere. i is OCI wonly. that is why u got stamped life-time - meaning you were upgraded to OCI.

You should thank Modi ji for issueing this directive at the Madison square garden.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:38 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kris wrote:

PIO is not issued anymore - i read somewhere. i is OCI wonly. that is why u got stamped life-time - meaning you were upgraded to OCI.

You should thank Modi ji for issueing this directive at the Madison square garden.
Well he executed previous government's idea, just as he did everything else since he took over.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down