Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land all around

5 posters

Go down

Land all around Empty Land all around

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:30 pm

No seas and no snow capped mountains with a chance at whale spottings.

Meah.

Back to top Go down

Land all around Empty Re: Land all around

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:35 pm

hahaha....

but you have water-logged streets, cancelled flights, and downed power lines.

Welcome to civilization.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:No seas and no snow capped mountains with a chance at whale spottings.

Meah.

yeah that's why we did what you're doing two years ago. we knew the glaciers would be gone. thank god for that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:No seas and no snow capped mountains with a chance at whale spottings.

Meah.

yeah that's why we did what you're doing two years ago. we knew the glaciers would be gone. thank god for that.

Think you are mistaken. She is back in NJ and lamenting the absence of those things in the Parking-lot state.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Meah.

>>> After three days, I got tired of it. Welcome back (of course, you have the hurricane nonsense to deal with)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Kris wrote:

Meah.

>>> After three days, I got tired of it. Welcome back (of course, you have the hurricane nonsense to deal with)

After 3 days on a cruise? I can't ever bring myself to go on a cruise - I think it is something to do when I am 65+, with loads of grandchildren and cats in tow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Not back yet. Only got to Chicago do far. Flight to nj is cancelled. There us nothing before wednesday, hence driving down tomorow.

I loved the cruise. Simply loved it. Will give details later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:41 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:

Meah.

After 3 days on a cruise? I can't ever bring myself to go on a cruise - I think it is something to do when you feel old, with loads of grandchildren and cats in tow.

Egjactly.... That is how I have been dodging the "cruise calls" from my wife. But, the Alaskan cruise isn't that bad... at least you see the land all along with green scenaries (well... I have not been to one yet....but that should deter me from giving my expert opinion...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Not back yet. Only got to Chicago do far. Flight to nj is cancelled. There us nothing before wednesday, hence driving down tomorow.

Ouch..that 18-hr drive should be one anti-dote to the Alaskan fun. gooooood luck..

(mom... are we there yet?)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Not back yet. Only got to Chicago do far. Flight to nj is cancelled. There us nothing before wednesday, hence driving down tomorow.

awesome that you loved the cruise. I did one two years ago; not a fan. You CANNOT be driving from Chi to NJ. Jesus. Can't you just fly back on Wednesday?!

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Bittu wrote:

awesome that you loved the cruise. I did one two years ago; not a fan. You CANNOT be driving from Chi to NJ. Jesus. Can't you just fly back on Wednesday?!

One needs to go by train to know India and by car to know about people in the US.

What is the longest distance you have driven in US ? srsly, your lack of geography about US (or India) is seriously pissing me off.

Tracy: I guess you exchanged your tickets for 1-yr coupons. If not, you should try to fly to Allentown/Easton and drive to NJ (2 hrs). There should be direct flights from chicago.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I could have exchanged my tickets only for Newark or LGA. I also had an option to get a refund on them, which I did.

Let me see Allentown option. For anything else, it was not available or too expensive. Jeez, even the trains were all sold out for two days. Buses are 24 hours....

Am thinking of driving out early t'row morning, and reach home late night Sunday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:28 pm

It is not too bad... actually interesting if u have not driven through the route. Take it easy. The I-80 has no major towns once you leave Akron. But, there are a lots of little towns and hilly after Akron.

But, you will need a 2-day car lag break.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Will start 8'ish t'row and try to cover over the day... let's see.. just kids and me... Let's see... mom is fretting, 'We will be in tension'. So I just said, ok then be in tension, just a matter of a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
One needs to go by train to know India and by car to know about people in the US.

What is the longest distance you have driven in US ? srsly, your lack of geography about US (or India) is seriously pissing me off.

You idiot, she wants to drive back to NJ in "scramble mode", not to fucking "see the country or learn about its people". How old are you, really? I want to understand why you're so daft.

I've driven from NJ to Montreal, that was the longest. Not a fan of driving long distances.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Bittu wrote:

You idiot, she wants to drive back to NJ in "scramble mode", not to fucking "see the country or learn about its people". How old are you, really? I want to understand why you're so daft.

I've driven from NJ to Montreal, that was the longest. Not a fan of driving long distances.

Then shut the fyuck up and "leave the driving" to me, and stick to your parking-lot states.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Then shut the fyuck up and "leave the driving" to me, and stick to your parking-lot states.

fuckface. she's panicking about returning because she wants to join her job on monday. she's not retired like your dumb ass, that she's thinking of leisurely driving from Chicago to NJ, taking in the sights and learning about the country.

goddamn a-hole Uppili. You haven't changed a bit. Same, consistent a-hole over the years. No wonder your wife whips your ass.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:

Meah.

After 3 days on a cruise? I can't ever bring myself to go on a cruise - I think it is something to do when I am 65+, with loads of grandchildren and cats in tow.

>>>>In fairness, the alaska cruise did have its high points ( inside passage, glaciers etc), but that was my first cruise and i did go a little stir crazy. The one I loved was a 10 day deal from italy thru the cyclades to athens to istanbul and back to italy. Each day was jampacked with tours at ports..

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 pm

the first day was admittedly bad.....sea was too rough, even for regular cruisers. but was fun overall... lots of food, some show or other going on every where, formal nights. then we would dock at most interesting places. saw glaciers, whales, took train rides through mountains, went ziplining at another place, saw most beautiful countryside and gardens. Sometimes, even from your room, you would spot a whale jumping up, we were told, to eat birds who were trying in turn to eat smaller fishes. the view and the scenery was so spectacular that we kinda got used to it.

our rooms would be cleaned twice a day, there was food e'where. by fourth or fifth day, I think I had eaten e' kind of baked goodies. I am done for another month or two I guess... by 7th day, I wasn't even looking at the sweets

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:23 am

I've never been on a cruise, but listening to descriptions from friends who've been, I think it's all abt eating and drinking in b/w port stops. Sounds like the right forum for me to launch 5-day feasts for lesser causes.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:49 pm

It is basically a moving hotel, with lots of food. Works when you have kids in tow, since you don't have to go foraging for food and there are usually activities on board for them. The port excursions are usually okay, but if these include historic places, it can turn out to be a disappointment since the tours are dumbed down quite a bit to appeal to a mass audience. The alternative to this is finding your own guide at these ports. Of course, you pay extra for this.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down